User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gut reactions to GoS

First listening:
Wasn't entirely sure about Great Day or Time Precious Time.
Liked/loved the stuff I heard before (Loved: Did You Miss Me, Right Place to Fade, Wait for You. Like: GoS)
Wasn't sure about Love Runs Deeper and Bel Air Rain
LOVED Underground and Treason.

Second listening:
Really like Time Precious Time, Great Day is growing on me.
Still like/love all the stuff I've heard before (see list above)
Not crazy about Love Runs Deeper, even less crazy about Bel Air Rain
Adore Underground, really love Treason.

We'll see what happens with the third listening party.

Over and out.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lol

that was fun. i wish i had friends to share my mac enthusiasms with (my friends aren't mac fans). so i'm glad for The Ledge. I don't want to say much til I write about it, but my gut reaction (subject to change) is that this is the most satisfying Lindsey solo album.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

Wow! You said something negative, "Shackin' Up" will have your head for this!!!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
Wow! You said something negative, "Shackin' Up" will have your head for this!!!!!
Come on stop it. Everybody can say something negative. It's about taste. You said something stupid. That's something else.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always wanted to be a first respondent! Lindsey puts a Kingston Trio-ish melody -- redolent of the folky early '60s, Beach Boys ballads, & legendary venues like the Hungry I -- on every album nowadays. Sometimes it's an actual cover of a Trio song (or song recorded by the Trio). On OUT OF THE CRADLE, it was ALL MY SORROWS. On SAY YOU WILL, it was STEAL YOUR HEART AWAY. On UNDER THE SKIN, it was CAST AWAY DREAMS. On this current album, it's DID YOU MISS ME. These are in some ways the best songs on their respective albums.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was listening outdoors the first two times.
I'm listening in my teeny, tiny home office now.
The guitar work (and, mind you, I know nothing about nothing except what I like to hear and what sounds good to my own ears), is incredible on those first two songs.
(That's all I'm up to so far;-)

I do love these first few times you listen to an album.
It's so exciting.

New Stuff! (From LINDSEY! Man, I was on the Ledge a decade ago and waiting for GoS seemed like waiting for Godot). He finally came through, and in such a big way. I'm very proud of the guy.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I was listening outdoors the first two times.
I'm listening in my teeny, tiny home office now.
The guitar work (and, mind you, I know nothing about nothing except what I like to hear and what sounds good to my own ears), is incredible on those first two songs.
(That's all I'm up to so far;-)

I do love these first few times you listen to an album.
It's so exciting.

New Stuff! (From LINDSEY! Man, I was on the Ledge a decade ago and waiting for GoS seemed like waiting for Godot). He finally came through, and in such a big way. I'm very proud of the guy.
awww. it is exciting. i'm proud of him too!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
You said something stupid. That's something else.
I know I stand in line before you think you'll have the time to spend an evening with me. And if we go some place to dance I know that there's the chance, you won't be leaving with me. And afterwards we'll find ourselves a quiet little place and have a drink or two. And then I'll go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I love you.

Please be nice to ajmccarrell. He has the right to have an opinion without being called stupid.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK-the only one I'm not feeling now is Bel Air Rain. Love Runs Deeper is sort of growing on me.

I think the cd is great. It's not as cohesive, perhaps, as OOTC or UTS (in my mind) but I still like it a lot. And (also slightly on the negative side, but not really) I think I don't identify with a lot of the lyrics, whereas with some of his other works, his lyrics have cut right to the heart (which he would probably find rather ironic).

But I still think there are lovely, brilliant things on this CD and I'm planning on having a blast at the concerts.

Just 3 1/2 weeks and counting...(or something like that).
Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am not going to like Time Precious Time no matter what, but it might help if he didn't start off with a falsetto that he can no longer handle.

Then, I can't exactly say he's singing with a melody, but whatever faint tune the sung part possesses, it has nothing in common with the guitar which is so overpowering and strummy that I think it's going to make me afraid of Mandarin-tinged music for the rest of my life.

To have this song second on the album is to risk some people not sticking around for the other 8 tracks, I fear. On the other hand, Great Day is such a stark contrast to it, that maybe they will journey on through the remainder hoping the rest will be different as well.

I guess TPT's better live than it is on the record. Still I'm rather scared that Lindsey will keep this song in the setlist for the rest of his life, because he seems to like it a great deal. I'm so afraid.

Other than that, I think the rest of the album is superb. I think I'd rank Treason as #9, but it's beautiful as a closer. The other 8 songs . . . I love them all. I don't even think I could put them in order of preference.

Michele
Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I know I stand in line before you think you'll have the time to spend an evening with me. And if we go some place to dance I know that there's the chance, you won't be leaving with me. And afterwards we'll find ourselves a quiet little place and have a drink or two. And then I'll go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I love you.

Please be nice to ajmccarrell. He has the right to have an opinion without being called stupid.
Thank you very much, I really needed that! (blow kiss)
Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although it isn't a new song, and most of us have heard it too much and played it out at this point, I really truly feel that Right Place to Fade (or Twist of Fate) has got to be one of the best songs Lindsey has ever written. And I think the lyrics are incredible. I have to go back to it because it sounds so much better to me when it's so clear and his vocals are out in the front like that. I'm a little sad that he hasn't put it in his set list so far, but I have hope.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Although it isn't a new song, and most of us have heard it too much and played it out at this point, I really truly feel that Right Place to Fade (or Twist of Fate) has got to be one of the best songs Lindsey has ever written.
Although I was tired of BTLH and SYHA by the time they appeared on Say You Will, I'm not burned out on any of the Gift of Screws songs, even if we've had them for years now. The ones on this album don't happen to be the ones that I listened to repeatedly, so they are all taking on a new life for me now. Michele
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

really .AJM and I have our differences no doubt but even I never went there..I don't think he is stupid at all either..just needs to get a little more life in under his belt maybe?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
really .AJM and I have our differences no doubt but even I never went there..I don't think he is stupid at all either..just needs to get a little more life in under his belt maybe?

Thanks Bombay! It's nice to know even my sometimes enemies think I might actually be a decent guy at heart. I was feeling pretty low after that pummeling I took, but you've perked my day up. I'm feeling much better now.

My wife and I are having a GOS party when it drops at midnight. Usually she doesn't like LB, but she's making an exception.