The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Fleetwood Mac in RS Mag! Page82!!!

Hi All F Mac Fans !!!
My new Rolling Stone Magazine
for May 23. 2002 has a
RS/Hall of Fame Article giving
5 stars to Rumours!!!
Perhaps Les can paste it...I can't!
It mentions Lindsey's brainy guitar
music and Stevie's cute torn voice! ETC.!

FYI :Then at the end it lists other
4 star Fleetwood Mac Albums......

Attention Chili...Kiln House is first!
followed by.......Fleetwood Mac !!!
followed by....Tusk 3 1/2 !!!!!!!!
Luv Ya's,Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey

Last edited by Skylark; 05-03-2002 at 05:20 PM..
Old 05-03-2002, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It really strikes me that Tango in the Night never gets any mentions. I mean, am I wrong in thinking that Tusk was only huge because of the leftover Rumours craze? Not to demean Tusk or anything, but it's only two times platinum (according to RIAA) and as I recall not critically accepted at all at the time. Out of 20 songs, only two spun off as top 20 hits. Meanwhile, Tango maybe wasn't so critically acclaimed either, but it DID spawn four top twenty hits out of twelve. That means one fourth of this album was strongly successful. Again, I'm not criticizing Tusk (even though it admittedly is my least favorite), and ya know, it might be wrong to say Tusk was only huge because of Rumours. My point is that Tango was seemingly a lot bigger, and yet it is seemingly forgotten.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tusk's critical acclaim

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
It really strikes me that Tango in the Night never gets any mentions. I mean, am I wrong in thinking that Tusk was only huge because of the leftover Rumours craze? Not to demean Tusk or anything, but it's only two times platinum (according to RIAA) and as I recall not critically accepted at all at the time. Out of 20 songs, only two spun off as top 20 hits. Meanwhile, Tango maybe wasn't so critically acclaimed either, but it DID spawn four top twenty hits out of twelve. That means one fourth of this album was strongly successful. Again, I'm not criticizing Tusk (even though it admittedly is my least favorite), and ya know, it might be wrong to say Tusk was only huge because of Rumours. My point is that Tango was seemingly a lot bigger, and yet it is seemingly forgotten.
I have to disagree with your comparison of "Tusk" & "Tango." I think "Tusk" made a far bigger splash on the country's pop culture scene than "Tango" did. By the time "Tango" was released, Fleetwood was past its prime by about five years -- still a powerful band & capable of a beautiful album, but not on top of the world the way it was back in its heyday. The American critics, in general, were extremely receptive to "Tusk." Check out the archive of "Tusk" reviews on this very Web site for heart-warming evidence: from the Washington Post to the Los Angeles Times to Rolling Stone to Stereo Review, hundreds of newspaper & magazine critics thought "Tusk" represented some of the most interesting pop music of the decade. The tour that followed was Billboard's biggest money-maker for its particular venue category that year (arenas), as it was announced in a full-page spread in the magazine around Christmas 1980. I'm sure that, to a very large extent, "Tusk" rode in on the coattails of "Rumours." But it arrived with a very big bang indeed. It was a bad year for record sales in general, & the industry was treading water, which might help explain the less-than-expected sales.

"Tango," despite its popularity & its great sales around the world, just wasn't the Event-with-a-capital-E that "Tusk" was for Fleetwood Mac in terms of the splash it made.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I see. Thank you David for the info.