The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The close-ups make it seem like she's looking at the camera the entire show.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Christine is definitely carrying this concert.
She sounds wonderful, no doubt. How different from The Dance video, where she is like feelingless (except for Songbird).
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Tango in the Night DVD is okay. I don't care for the slow motion, smokey look, and those Stevie close-ups. The performances are great with my fav's being Isn't It Midnight, Gold Dust Woman, and The Chain.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Quite hilarious to see people calling these days the Stevie = megalomaniac days. I don't think she's ever burned down a whole city like Nero, but I can see how the word fits.
That, plus the whole Klonopin thing made me not sad to see her go and Bekka come in (although they screwed that up). Stevie became a parody of her former self, which was sad and hard to watch.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That, plus the whole Klonopin thing made me not sad to see her go and Bekka come in (although they screwed that up). Stevie became a parody of her former self, which was sad and hard to watch.
Her performance at San Francisco (the dvd show) was at the edge of a decent behavior. But other shows from that tour weren't that lucky. A very close friend of mine who lives in LA went to the Mac show in 1987. I always remember she told me that a guy at the stage walked toward Stevie to give her a bunch of flowers. She kept still, like a zombie and barely noticed the flowers were for her. Christine saved the show, my friend said.

Fortunately those days are gone. Glad to see Stevie is clean and survived.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco where this video was shot. It was my first ever FM concert (1987) and I was totally blown away! Rick Vito and Billy Burnette rocked that place. Mick completely blew my mind with "World Turning", as did the percussionist (Asante?) on that tour and the "Behind The Mask" tour a few years later. It was just incredible.

I bought the VHS (pre DVD years) and practically wore it out. "Isn't It Midnight", "I Loved Another Woman", "Oh Well", "The Chain" are all favourites from that time. What I liked about "The Chain" was how nobody (Rick or Billy) jumped in over John's bass solo. I've always thought Lindsey sort of cuts John off and this version sort of lets John stand out. It is (in my opinion), one of the greatest bass solos in rock history. "I Loved Another Woman" and "Oh Well" were definite "throwback" versions, paying homage to the band's blues roots, something basically completely lost in the B/N era. "Isn't It Midnight" just rocked back then. Superior to the album version in my opinion.

I agree with the production of the video with others comments. Mainly I liked the video from the standpoint of listening to the music on the video, even though there was a lot of post production editing and so on.

I would buy it again, mainly for sentimental value having been at one of the shows where it was shot, and for the ability to listen to the music in those versions again. I'd say worth the money.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
I was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco where this video was shot. It was my first ever FM concert (1987) and I was totally blown away! Rick Vito and Billy Burnette rocked that place. Mick completely blew my mind with "World Turning", as did the percussionist (Asante?) on that tour and the "Behind The Mask" tour a few years later. It was just incredible.

I bought the VHS (pre DVD years) and practically wore it out. "Isn't It Midnight", "I Loved Another Woman", "Oh Well", "The Chain" are all favourites from that time. What I liked about "The Chain" was how nobody (Rick or Billy) jumped in over John's bass solo. I've always thought Lindsey sort of cuts John off and this version sort of lets John stand out. It is (in my opinion), one of the greatest bass solos in rock history. "I Loved Another Woman" and "Oh Well" were definite "throwback" versions, paying homage to the band's blues roots, something basically completely lost in the B/N era. "Isn't It Midnight" just rocked back then. Superior to the album version in my opinion.

I agree with the production of the video with others comments. Mainly I liked the video from the standpoint of listening to the music on the video, even though there was a lot of post production editing and so on.

I would buy it again, mainly for sentimental value having been at one of the shows where it was shot, and for the ability to listen to the music in those versions again. I'd say worth the money.
I bought the DVD and watched it this morning. It was definitely over-edited, I agree. Stevie's backing vocals in Everywhere sounded as though they were added in post production. It was too choppy - too many quick changes of where the camera was focused. Did not like the merging of back stage footage with on stage performances of the songs. I like to watch what the band are doing on stage. Disappointed that Stevie did not rock out while singing Stand Back - no twirls, no dancing.

Hightlights were Isn't it Midnight, Little Lies, Seven Wonders, Oh Well, I Loved Another Woman and Songbird. Mick's drum solo was cool though I liked the 2003 version better. Mick appeared to tell a camera-man filming backstage to "**** off" at one point which was funny. Maybe my lip reading skills are not up to scratch. I would rate the DVD maybe 6/10. The sound quality was fairly good. If you were to close your eyes, or just play the DVD with the TV screen turned off, you would probably appreciate it more. It is worth watching - just be warned the production/editing is a little disorientating.

Having watched the Tango in the Night DVD, The Dance DVD and a lot of Live in Boston 2003 videos on YouTube; The Dance is still my favourite. Love both the 1997 and 2003 versions of Silver Springs. The Dance DVD has my favourite filmed performance of Everywhere, plus the four new songs which rock, especially Temporary One and My Little Demon.

The DVD was definitely worth $11 (was charged $1 online order fee).

As a side note, does anyone else think that Stevie wears a lot more make-up than she did in the 80's/90's/00's? She appears overly made-up in videos from the current tour, like a gorgeous clown. Second side note, where in Australia can I buy Live in Boston 2003 (DVD)? The DVD needs to be Region 4 to work in my DVD player.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
She sounds wonderful, no doubt. How different from The Dance video, where she is like feelingless (except for Songbird).
I don't agree. She did not appear feelingless to me. She appeared to have quite a few sad moments (I think my Mum noticed this too)... as though she had seriously thought about retiring already (she probably had). There were jovial, upbeat moments for her too though. Think Lindsey: We were all in the studio together and we said, Hey this feels pretty good. Isn't that weird? Christine, laughing: That is pretty weird. Later, Lindsey: I knew he'd get a drum solo in there somewhere. Christine, chuckling again: You can't stop him! And she appeared genuinely enthusiastic and excited about performing Don't Stop with a brass section for the first time. She looked a little cross (maybe terse is a better word?) while playing piano on one of Stevie's songs, I think it was Silver Springs or Rhiannon...she scowled, just for a moment. Anyway, she did seem to display a fair bit of emotion.

Last edited by secret love; 07-04-2013 at 04:13 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
I don't agree. She did not appear feelingless to me. She appeared to have quite a few sad moments (I think my Mum noticed this too)... as though she had already seriously thought about retiring already (she probably had). There were jovial, upbeat moments for her too though. Think Lindsey: We were all in the studio together and we said, Hey this feels pretty good. Isn't that weird? Christine, laughing: That is pretty weird. Later, Lindsey: I knew he'd get a drum solo in there somewhere. Christine, chuckling again: You can't stop him! And she appeared genuinely enthusiastic and excited about performing Don't Stop with a brass section for the first time. She looked a little cross (maybe terse is a better word?) while playing piano on one of Stevie's songs, I think it was Silver Springs or Rhiannon...she scowled, just for a moment. Anyway, she did seem to display a fair bit of emotion.
I agree. To me Christine looks fine on the Dance dvd. It was later on in the tour that she started to look not so happy in my perception.

Michele
Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, maybe I exaggerated saying feelingless. Christine had her moments at The Dance (video). But anyway I think she was far more joyful at Tango video. It is when I compare both shows that I find her distant in The Dance.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I see what you mean - she does seem more energetic in the Tango video. She was ten years younger ...but of course she was less tired of travelling and performing in 1987 than in 1997. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think Christine's father died around the time of The Dance tour? That definitely could have something to do with the lack of interest in performing you noticed...her mind was elsewhere.

Change of pace, sorry to ask twice, but does anyone know where I can purchase a region 4 (appropriate for Australian DVD players) Live in Boston 2003 DVD?

The 10-track CD is available on iTunes but would prefer to have all 24 songs. It is difficult to buy Fleetwood Mac CDs/DVDs in Sydney...iTunes has almost no pre-1975 material, the only DVDs are the Rosebud film and The Dance...in music stores I can only find Rumours, The Dance, The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac, Black Magic Woman, sometimes Tango in the Night and Time (presumably this music/electrical store had as many copies of Time as they did-half a dozen...because nobody buys it).

When the North American tour was announced, I went to the Ticketmaster outlet at Parramatta and asked if they knew the Australian dates (obviously I was unaware that they only know the dates just before they are announced). I said to the young woman working there, "Do you have the Fleetwood Mac 2013 Australian tour dates?"

She replied, "Who?"

So I repeated, "Fleetwood Mac."

She said, "Oh OK. Sorry no dates available for Fleet Foxes at the moment."

Still unsure if she had heard me correctly I asked, "Do you know who Fleetwood Mac are?"

She answered, "Um, Fleet-wood Mac? No, sorry I don't."

Last edited by secret love; 07-05-2013 at 12:47 AM..
Old 07-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

secret love, my experience has always been that US-bought DVDs will work fine in Australian DVD players. From memory, there was a ruling here quite a few years ago that region-locked players were a restriction of trade, so the vast majority of our players are region-free. Certainly, both my and my parents' players have always played other-region DVDs with no hassle (no need to enter unlock codes etc.).

So as for the Live in Boston DVD, my copy came from Amazon - Region 1, but works just fine. I can't recall seeing it being sold in any stores here, but if you have a JB Hi-fi around your way, they're usually the best bet in terms of having a good range.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
secret love, my experience has always been that US-bought DVDs will work fine in Australian DVD players. From memory, there was a ruling here quite a few years ago that region-locked players were a restriction of trade, so the vast majority of our players are region-free. Certainly, both my and my parents' players have always played other-region DVDs with no hassle (no need to enter unlock codes etc.).

So as for the Live in Boston DVD, my copy came from Amazon - Region 1, but works just fine. I can't recall seeing it being sold in any stores here, but if you have a JB Hi-fi around your way, they're usually the best bet in terms of having a good range.
Thanks, our DVD players are quite old though. My uncle bought a DVD from the States and it did not work in his player. I can try the other DVD player Dad and I share but it is also quite old. My brothers' Playstation 3 should play the darn thing at the very least.

Yeah JB Hi-fi has the best range of Fleetwood Mac material (besides iTunes) and that's where I bought the Tango in the Night DVD. Unfortunately they do not have Live in Boston but will consider just buying the Region 1 DVD from Amazon or eBay and trying the PS3 and DVD players we have.

Other option is to rent it from YouTube (yes you can do that - cool right?) and use the Free YouTube Download program available online to save it to PC.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Both of our players are also quite old, but it might depend on the brand - mine's a Pioneer and I think the other is a Sony. Is another alternative perhaps to play the DVD in your computer? I haven't done that for a while, but I think usually you can change the region code on that a couple of times.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
Both of our players are also quite old, but it might depend on the brand - mine's a Pioneer and I think the other is a Sony. Is another alternative perhaps to play the DVD in your computer? I haven't done that for a while, but I think usually you can change the region code on that a couple of times.
Yeah that's a good idea (using the computer) - I do like my creature comforts though. Lounge room has a leather recliner...bedroom has computer and office-style swivel chair. We have a Panasonic DVD player and a Sanyo DVD player, plus Sony Playstation 3.

I see you're in Brisbane. Any chance you will be attending a Sydney show in addition to the show in your hometown?