Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Peter Green now

Where is Peter Green now. Is he making music. Is he playing at all. I have a lot of the old Max stuff and the Mayall cd. I have an anthology with a few of the things from his comeback. Is there anything recent. Is there word of anything to come.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickshoot View Post
Where is Peter Green now. Is he making music. Is he playing at all. I have a lot of the old Max stuff and the Mayall cd. I have an anthology with a few of the things from his comeback. Is there anything recent. Is there word of anything to come.
Which "comeback"? The 78-82 era or the Splinter Group 1995-2001 era?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Junior Ledgie

It's the
Man of the World Anthology. I'm pretty sure thats the '80s comeback. Is the Splinter Group stuff good?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is the Splinter Group stuff good?
You bet!

And, the sad part was that they were still getting better each album when they broke up. My faves are Destiny Road and Time Traders, but Reaching The Cold 100 (their swan song) has some great cuts, too. Plus, there's the two Robert Johnson tributes and the two live albums (their first album was live; and the two disc Live At Ronnie Scott's) and their all-blues album Blues Don't Change recorded simultaneously as Time Traders.

Last edited by chiliD; 01-23-2007 at 06:31 PM..
Old 01-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Splinter Group

The Band is tight. The folks are devoted to presenting Peter Green in a good light. The other main vocalist guitar player is Nigel Watson (see post #1 on peter Green section of the ledge) He accompanied Peter Green to rejoin Fleetwood Mac to finish their tour when Jeremy Spencer left abruptly in 1970. Then he was heard on congas and shortly thereafter on two post FM singles by Peter Green. He is a good folk/slide Guitarist and covers much of the electric material well. He was a long time friend of Peter and aided him in coming back to playing in the 90's. All the CDs are interesting. Some cuts are outstanding. With this output of music, Peter Green earned comeback Player of the year frm the blues foundation. THE most presigious awards accolade for blues people. If you had to get just one CD, I would buy "Hot Foot Powder". I am sure you would buy others after listening to that. Unfortunatly Peter Green was separated from the Band right before their next US tour in 2003.

very sad all around

sincerely,

doodyhead
Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default thanks

Thank You. I am 49 years old. I play guitar (poorly)and have followed guitar players for years. I have only recently discovered Peter Green. I am amazed by his tone and playing. I had heard some of the P.G. stories through the years. I had just never really heard much. I think I was put off because I have never been a fan of the buckingham -nicks Mac. I think that kept me from listening to the old stuff. I am now a huge fan. I listening to PG almost every day now. I now want an LP with the bass pickup backwards.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default tone

Dear kickshoot,

I have been a fan since i first heard him on record in 68. I am a guitar player. What you might consider first. is getting a new fangled pickup that can reverse phase. Or you can do what he did and tahe it out and put it back backwards. the latter is a lot cheaper. Most likely he did it rather than bring it somewhere.

8^)

doodyhead
Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Junior Ledgie

I have an early '70 model LP that I recently bought. I have considered having the pick up reversed. Tell me about the new pick up where you can change the "phase". I see there is a jimmy page model that has a phase switch. I know there is a "gary moore" model that is based somewhat on the PG paul (not an exact copy but built on Moore's specs). The bass pick up is backwards on it. What about Moore selling Peter's guitar for almost $1,000,000 american. I don't think that was exactly in the same spirit as Peter almost giving it to him. I see there is a guitar made by Vintage guitars in england that is based on the PG LP. Any info on any of this stuff.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... I am amazed by his tone and playing. [...]...[...] I listening to PG almost every day now.

So do I, and to Danny and Jere.... :-)

//Zoork

P.S.
I've modified my Les Paul twice now and it's beginning to sound good. I've got a sample (cuts from Jigzaw puzzle blues/Need your love so bad) if you're interested in LP sound.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I see there is a jimmy page model that has a phase switch. .
From what I've read, you can get the exact Peter Green "squawk" tone with the Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul. But, those Page models run nearly $6,000.00 or so...way too steep for my budget.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The tone you hear is in Peters fingers and soul, anything else merely enhances it but won't give you that tone unless you feel the notes in the way Peter did.

Peter sounds like Peter on any given guitar.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default i second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
The tone you hear is in Peters fingers and soul, anything else merely enhances it but won't give you that tone unless you feel the notes in the way Peter did.

http://www.learn-futures.com/product/guitarpg.htm

Learn to play like him. The soul of playing is channeling feelings through the instrument. The guitar is just the vehicle. Green is about feeling.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Could not have been said better!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think most people would agree - fingers and soul makes the difference. But gear (amplifiers, strings, etc) matters, believing something else would be romanticism. Moreover, guitarists don’t carry on the same sound, feeling or tone over the years, they develop or change over time. Sometime for better….

//Zoork
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Junior Ledgie

I'm not suggestiong that I will sound like Peter green by simply modding my guitar. I'm not very good. Peter's guitar had a distinct tone. It was from his bass pickup being put in backwards and the wiring being what is known as out of phase. It is sometimes very similar to B.B Kings tone. B.B.s guitar a Gibson 355 , has a 5 postion switch. Some of the postions have both pickups on "out of phase". You can hear the tone on a lot of Gary Moore's playing. Gary's playing does not sound that much like Peter's but his tone sometimes sounds like Peter's because it is the same guitar. I agree the magic in Peter's playing is in his heart and soul, but a lot of that tone came from that guitar.
Does the Gary Moore signature Les Paul have the sound?
Thanks for the info on the Page model.Way too costly for me.
And yes I would love to hear clips with that mod.
I am almost through with the Peter Green biography. Do any of the Fleetwood Mac bio's have a lot of Green info. I am not very interested in news about the modern day Mac.