User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album

Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album

On Monday Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album was a top story. Here is the recap: (Gibson) Stevie Nicks has spent much of the past two years promoting her solo album, In Your Dreams. Surprisingly, Nicks is now admitting that all the hard work didn't really result in much success sales-wise.

"I didn't sell a lot of records, you guys. For me, for a big act like moi, I didn't," Nicks said via CTV News. "Worldwide I probably sold 300,000 records. It's awesome if you're an unknown artist and you have a hit single, but it's not really that awesome if you're Stevie Nicks."

So, what's the reason for the slow sales? Nicks says it's simply because the music business has changed. "It's such a different age now," she said.

As for the present, Nicks will be on tour with Fleetwood Mac through this fall. So far, she loves the change. "Fleetwood Mac's much more sophisticated and grown up," she said. "And my show is just like a big slumber party in an auditorium." - more on this story

Gibson.com is an official news provider for the antiMusic.com.
Copyright Gibson.com - Excerpted here with permission.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/Apr...st_Album.shtml
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Registered

Maybe Moi should take a good hard look at reality . 10 years of no new music and no change in her the songs she performed , probably turned off a lot of people . and Other artist are selling cds

it not them it's her .
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie needs to fact the facts....
  • This is NOT 1975.
  • Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks are NOT hot new artists.
  • 10 years between albums is a joke.
  • At this stage in their career, the Mac members are NEVER going to do anything groundbreaking or reinvent themselves, so as good as the music on IYD is, it's nothing new.
  • 300,00 copies is a LOT of record sales and will make a lot of money, regardless of your status. Stevie should be happy that people still want to listen to her music and buy her records, unlike a lot of older artists that just hang around the nether regions of the charts
  • "but it's not really that awesome if you're Stevie Nicks"....Stevie, I love you, but GET OVER YOURSELF, LOVE!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Stevie needs to fact the facts....
  • This is NOT 1975.
  • Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks are NOT hot new artists.
  • 10 years between albums is a joke.
  • At this stage in their career, the Mac members are NEVER going to do anything groundbreaking or reinvent themselves, so as good as the music on IYD is, it's nothing new.
  • 300,00 copies is a LOT of record sales and will make a lot of money, regardless of your status. Stevie should be happy that people still want to listen to her music and buy her records, unlike a lot of older artists that just hang around the nether regions of the charts
  • "but it's not really that awesome if you're Stevie Nicks"....Stevie, I love you, but GET OVER YOURSELF, LOVE!!
Lindsey's solo album sales haven't come CLOSE to that of Stevie's at any point in their careers. Would she rather have similar album sales to him? No. And yet, Lindsey continues to make new music, continues to tour and make regular appearances.

Stevie once said "I would die if I wasn't doing this" and "I don't know how to do anything else". What happened to that girl, hmmm? She wasn't worried about album sales or $$$. She was doing what she loved and people wanted to hear her and see her do it. They still do. She's right in that the music business HAS changed. As she said in Destiny Rules "people are not sitting around smoking dope wondering what the next record they're going to buy is".

In 2013, as the world is today, 300,000 copies is a lot. Stevie continues to sell records, continues to be a popular touring act and people still want to listen to her music. THAT is something to be proud of.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fully agree with all of the above. If you only squeeze out a new piece of work every ten years, then basically you are trying to make a comeback. If you regularly put stuff out then your fans will stay.

And if you can no longer write, as it seems, since she had Dave Stewart do the music to most of IYD, then hit the vault.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking up record sales is definitely something that Stevie's "people" need to coach her to stop bringing up in public, it's embarrassing. I remember her saying around the time of the release of Tusk that if it didn't sell she'd be disappointed in "everyone". I guess that includes the 300 K of us that bought the fantastic IYD and the 4 million of us that bought the brilliant Tusk album. I love you Stevie, but please just drop the pouting and get back to the music.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
hit the vault.
Totally agree since we all know some of Stevie's best songwriting remains unheard by the general public, but I think it's far too late in her career for it to have a lasting impact. There are songs in there as good or better than anything that has been officially released.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Do you guys remember the time in 2011 when Stevie said she didn't care if nobody bought IYD and that she just wanted to make the record for herself and her fans? Sounds ironic now…

I do understand why it can be hard for such a sucessful act not to sell nearly as many records as before in spite of still making great music. But as for lamenting her poor sales in foreign markets, she has only herself to blame. Had she consistently toured Europe in her heyday she certainly would have built a following there and knowing how loyal Europeans fans are, that would have made a huge difference in the long run.

I just hope her disappointments won't dissuade her from making another record again.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really hope this doesn't stop her from making a new album or two.

For crying out loud, most people just download the music straight from the internet and don't pay a cent to the artist... that's unfortunate because it causes them to think no one wants their new music and therefore we suffer as fans and don't get any!

Plus, where is this attitude even coming from, Stevie! We thought you were doing this because you love it, and you'd die if you weren't doing it....? You say it's good for a new artist to have a hit single, and sell 300,000 albums, but the door swings both ways. If you're NOT a hot new artist, bless your soul, it's going to be equally as hard to sell your albums because the uneducated, older fan base is not going to be down for the new stuff. It's a different taste to them. My Mom is the same way, she doesn't like the way the music has evolved. And that's her thing, it happens.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album

On Monday Stevie Nicks Disappointed With Sales Of Her Latest Album was a top story. Here is the recap: (Gibson) Stevie Nicks has spent much of the past two years promoting her solo album, In Your Dreams. Surprisingly, Nicks is now admitting that all the hard work didn't really result in much success sales-wise.

"I didn't sell a lot of records, you guys. For me, for a big act like moi, I didn't," Nicks said via CTV News. "Worldwide I probably sold 300,000 records. It's awesome if you're an unknown artist and you have a hit single, but it's not really that awesome if you're Stevie Nicks."

So, what's the reason for the slow sales? Nicks says it's simply because the music business has changed. "It's such a different age now," she said.

As for the present, Nicks will be on tour with Fleetwood Mac through this fall. So far, she loves the change. "Fleetwood Mac's much more sophisticated and grown up," she said. "And my show is just like a big slumber party in an auditorium." - more on this story

Gibson.com is an official news provider for the antiMusic.com.
Copyright Gibson.com - Excerpted here with permission.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/Apr...st_Album.shtml
Wow are you kidding me...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
Wow are you kidding me...
she's right up there with P!NK Lady GaGa And Madonna
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What else does she except. This is like when Elton John was disappointed with his sales. Her best record selling days are long gone sadly.

and i agree that the ridiculous waiting periods don't help either......time her outlook changed and she made music for herself.

Mick

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 05-02-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What kills me is the record companies dont have the money to promote the new releases .Stevie did comment on that.

I just dont believe they dont have it and where did the money go.

The artists dont get it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why is everybody jumping down her throat? She's just being honest. Sure, she could pretend that IYD was a huge smash (it did chart in the Top 10 after all). However, she's just being matter of fact about her own sales performance and used herself as an example of how the music business is in the toilet. She never compared herself with the hot young artists of today, who, by the way, are not selling nearly as much as they would have ten years ago. Yes, it is rather disappointing that a new album by an artist who has purportedly sold 140 million albums worldwide can barely sell a few copies of a new release. Facts are facts, and it would have been rather bizarre for her to pretend that IYD was a big hit when it wasn't.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
As she said in Destiny Rules "people are not sitting around smoking dope wondering what the next record they're going to buy is".

I am sort of one of those people sitting around smoking dope and wondering what the next record I'm going to buy! The essential difference is that I'm not wondering - I know the records I want to buy.

Stevie needs to focus less on sales and more on her craft. She's not getting any younger, and among any new material she has written, she has plenty of older material laying around to work with. At this stage in her career, she should be doing what Lindsey is doing - adding to his legacy by being more prolific than ever. She could put out an album every several years, and not feel obligated to tour for two years to promote it; perhaps just a few key performances, and TV appearances.

Another thing -- I find it odd that her concept of promoting a new album is to tour under the name of the album, yet only perform a slim fraction of it in the show, then make TV appearances performing old songs, and promise a movie documentary that is delivered nearly two years after the album's release, and accessible in the most limiting way. Who are the marketing geniuses responsible for this? The timing and tactics were all wrong. Makes me think her managers have the skill level akin to that of Chris Nicks' graphic design ability.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-02-2013 at 10:29 AM..