The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The only overtly religious reference I’m aware of that Stevie ever made was her letter to the troops (around 1991) which was printed in a military newsletter called ‘Stars and Stripes’ (or something like that).

She wrote something about clutching the cross around her neck (Stevie was really into cross jewelry at this time) and sending its ‘energy’ to the soldiers overseas. She also included the "For God so loved the world... etc., etc.” passage in the letter.

The letter was reprinted in some old fanzine I believe, and mentioned in one of the Ed Wincentsen bios.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Well, you certainly can be interested in stars/moons/mythology and be a Christian.
I live around plenty of people who would beg to differ with you on that point. They even think it's sinful that my husband owns a telescope!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

from an interview from 1998 quote from Stevie about her religion

"I am religious," Nicks explains. I wasn't raised in any religion, because we were always moving when I was a kid and didn't get involved in any church. But I believe there've been angels with me constantly through these last 20 years, or I wouldn't be alive. I pray a lot. In the last few years I've asked for things from God, and he's given them to me. And there were things I thought were going to kill me, and he fixed them. I felt that because I was fat I wasn't talented anymore; I was destroying this gift God gave me and asked for help. Now I'm happy, even outside my music, and enjoying my life.

below is a link to the article from her official website The Nicksfix

http://rockalittle.com/billbrd3.htm
Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I live around plenty of people who would beg to differ with you on that point. They even think it's sinful that my husband owns a telescope!
Those are the extremists for you. As a Christian myself and growing up in a Christian household, there are plenty of people who that would bother, and there are also plenty of people who that would not bother. It just depends on the denomination or even the particular church or person.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

now that I think about it, if we count demos, there's more Angels in Stevie lyrics then the bible

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm a Wiccan, and I hate to say it but i'm one of the ones that thinks she might be a Wiccan, or probably just really really spiritual cause of the crystal thing i saw an interview where she said something about she gets energy from crystal so she likes to keep them when she is given them or something. Plus I saw an interview where she said i'm not a witch, but i'm not a black magic witch...mmmmh...idk i'm one of the few I guess. I get the impression she's hiding it imo.

Anyway....getting into the symbolism...of holding books...Sister of the Moon anyone?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Those are the extremists for you. As a Christian myself and growing up in a Christian household, there are plenty of people who that would bother, and there are also plenty of people who that would not bother. It just depends on the denomination or even the particular church or person.
I agree with you Wildhearted also why not like stars and moons we all do i would think I am a gay catholic christian i do believe in God and do pray depends on how far you take your beliefs and you can love Jesus and still love stars moons and fantasy if your a good person with a great heart and kind and try to do the right thing and treat everyone with kindness and respect its all good to me God created the earth universe and all the things we see even the stars and moons God has created so why not enjoy life and enjoy the stars and moons and everything we have on this wonderful amazing earth we have all around us so enjoy the stars and moons. I am more spiritual person I do believe in God and Jesus Christ and love the stars,moons and cystals too so it what ever connects to you in a higher power I do believe in Psychic Knowledge and I have some psychic abilities and trust it whether you call the holy spirit or spirit guide. I am very open minded to religious beliefs. I do believe Stevie is Spiritual and believes in God as she states in above interview.

Last edited by StandbackStevie; 02-14-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Old 02-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

she's an old hippy...nothing more nothing less
Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Hey, if we were meant to see what's in outer space, our eyes would be able to act as telescopes. Your busybody husband is spying on God's "me" time!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
The only overtly religious reference I’m aware of that Stevie ever made was her letter to the troops (around 1991) which was printed in a military newsletter called ‘Stars and Stripes’ (or something like that).

She wrote something about clutching the cross around her neck (Stevie was really into cross jewelry at this time) and sending its ‘energy’ to the soldiers overseas. She also included the "For God so loved the world... etc., etc.” passage in the letter.

The letter was reprinted in some old fanzine I believe, and mentioned in one of the Ed Wincentsen bios.
That's right - I remember this now. She quoted John 3:16. I thought that was actually a pretty strong statement from her. Interesting.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
She quoted John 3:16. I thought that was actually a pretty strong statement from her.
I don't know if quoting the (arguably) most well known Bible verse equates as a pretty strong statement. Meaningful? Sure, but not necessarily evidence that "points" to Stevie being a practicing Christian.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I don't know if quoting the (arguably) most well known Bible verse equates as a pretty strong statement. Meaningful? Sure, but not necessarily evidence that "points" to Stevie being a practicing Christian.
The fact that it is the most well-known Bible verse does most certainly make it a strong statement because of the fact that it is most well-known due to it being used for conversion purposes. For someone to quote "For God so loved the world that He gave his only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life" is definitely stating to the other person, here is hope. I find it hard to believe anyone who doesn't have some kind of Christian belief would quote that particular verse to use as a comfort to others. Things from Psalms, Proverbs, yes but not John 3:16.

It doesn't mean she's a Christian, per se. But, it obviously means something to her or she definitely wouldn't have used it as private as she is about her personal life and beliefs.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe Stevie was once interested in converting to Judaism.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I believe Stevie was once interested in converting to Judaism.
I believe she was going to join her BFF Madonna in Kaballah.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Hey, if we were meant to see what's in outer space, our eyes would be able to act as telescopes. Your busybody husband is spying on God's "me" time!!!
Thanks for saying that!