User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I'm kind of fascinated by the inclusion of Carousel and Hard Advice, two demos which we've had the titles of for years, but have never been circulated.
Me too, especially for Carousel. I remember looking for that song on YouTube fairly recently and thinking I must have confused it with Castaway or something.

I spent some time listening to the clip of I Don't Care. I am convinced that I know the melody and the rhythm from somewhere, but I can't place it...
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I'm kind of fascinated by the inclusion of Carousel and Hard Advice, two demos which we've had the titles of for years, but have never been circulated.
ME TOO!!! And add "I Don't Care" to that list. We're essentially getting 3 BRAND NEW Stevie songs with these. Yes, they may be old demos but they're brand new to all of us.

It's a bit of a flip flop, isn't it? For the past few solo and FM records, we've always gotten a slew of brand new songs plus 3 songs from the vault that we had heard prior...and now we're getting a slew of re-recorded vault songs, already circulated and 3 brand new uncirculated vault songs.

I might be more excited about these 3 "new" songs than the other previously circulated 13.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
ME TOO!!! And add "I Don't Care" to that list. We're essentially getting 3 BRAND NEW Stevie songs with these. Yes, they may be old demos but they're brand new to all of us.

It's a bit of a flip flop, isn't it? For the past few solo and FM records, we've always gotten a slew of brand new songs plus 3 songs from the vault that we had heard prior...and now we're getting a slew of re-recorded vault songs, already circulated and 3 brand new uncirculated vault songs.

I might be more excited about these 3 "new" songs than the other previously circulated 13.
I believe we will discover we know I Don't Care, and potentially all feel like idiots for not recognizing it.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post

I spent some time listening to the clip of I Don't Care. I am convinced that I know the melody and the rhythm from somewhere, but I can't place it...
i know and it's been annoying me since we 1st heard it.
it reminds me of the Animals' It's My Life
but a Stevie demo too that I just for the life of me cannot place
i just wish it was Baby Doll but i suspect it aint
Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was really upset when I heard the trace listing., then i heard the Dealer and I feel much better.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
i know and it's been annoying me since we 1st heard it.
it reminds me of the Animals' It's My Life
but a Stevie demo too that I just for the life of me cannot place
i just wish it was Baby Doll but i suspect it aint
Well, Baby Doll is one of the songs I think it could be. Other candidates are What Has Rock & Roll Ever Done For You, and maybe, maybe a seriously ramped up version of Mixdown, but I think it's one of the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I was really upset when I heard the trace listing., then i heard the Dealer and I feel much better.
Yeah, you were not happy at all. Glad you're feeling better about it now, though.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope so. After finally hearing that demo, I'm kinda in love with it, and really hope that's what it turns out to be.
her voice was soooo amazingly flexible at the time she recorded this demo… she could go straight from low to high and smooth to raspy on a dime. Her voice today can not do that, so I'm curious to see what they've done.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
her voice was soooo amazingly flexible at the time she recorded this demo… she could go straight from low to high and smooth to raspy on a dime. Her voice today can not do that, so I'm curious to see what they've done.
Falsetto + backup harmonies stacked on the low octave. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway. I think she can easily pull off the notes with 2 octaves between if she uses her falsetto, and it's appropriately supported by Sharon and Lori.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Falsetto + backup harmonies stacked on the low octave. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway. I think she can easily pull off the notes with 2 octaves between if she uses her falsetto, and it's appropriately supported by Sharon and Lori.
hope so!!

and of course she's so much more nasal now.

She Loves Him Still is the one that has me worried. The demo was just soooo….I dunno. the raw emotion of it was killer. I hope it hasn't been vanilla'ed out. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I must say, regarding the track list, when we initially got the "official" listing (sans "Turnstile 69", thank God ) for the first few days, part of me was a tad disappointed (not gonna lie) that only 4 songs from my wishlist made the cut. Then I actually REALIZED that FOUR of my wishlist songs MADE THE CUT!!! And I scolded myself for being bummed and felt lucky that these 4 songs were even recorded in the first place. 4 songs I've adored for the longest time are going to be fully formed songs now. 4 songs is A LOT, compared to one song off my wishlist for IYD, and one song from my wishlist for SYW.

Today as I was looking over the tracklisting for "24 Karat Gold", thinking how long we've had 85% of the demos, I realized that all these tracks are STEVIE's favorites. And that's probably what's the most important thing about this "love letter to the fans". These are all songs that SHE loves. These are all the songs that SHE wants to share. And all of a sudden, it dawned on me ~ when it comes to her body of work, when it comes to her longevity as an artist, when it comes to the stories from these demos in which only we (as fanatics) have been privy, this is actually the PERFECT TRACK LISTING!

We've got 1 Buckingham Nicks era demo, 3 from Tusk, 4 from Bella Donna, 1 from Wild Heart, 2 from Rock A Little, and 2 pre TISL demos. Not too sure about which eras that "Lady", "Carousel" and "I Don't Care" come from.

Anyway, it's very well rounded. Most of her early Fleetwood Mac work and early solo career are represented in this set...and that's what makes this whole project exciting! That's what gets me pumped up and counting the days! It's been said a million times, but it sure is a THRILLING time to be a Stevie fan!

And like I always say (a million times)...everything I post is merely my humble opinion, of course.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I must say, regarding the track list, when we initially got the "official" listing (sans "Turnstile 69", thank God ) for the first few days, part of me was a tad disappointed (not gonna lie) that only 4 songs from my wishlist made the cut. Then I actually REALIZED that FOUR of my wishlist songs MADE THE CUT!!! And I scolded myself for being bummed and felt lucky that these 4 songs were even recorded in the first place. 4 songs I've adored for the longest time are going to be fully formed songs now. 4 songs is A LOT, compared to one song off my wishlist for IYD, and one song from my wishlist for SYW.

Today as I was looking over the tracklisting for "24 Karat Gold", thinking how long we've had 85% of the demos, I realized that all these tracks are STEVIE's favorites. And that's probably what's the most important thing about this "love letter to the fans". These are all songs that SHE loves. These are all the songs that SHE wants to share. And all of a sudden, it dawned on me ~ when it comes to her body of work, when it comes to her longevity as an artist, when it comes to the stories from these demos in which only we (as fanatics) have been privy, this is actually the PERFECT TRACK LISTING!

We've got 1 Buckingham Nicks era demo, 3 from Tusk, 4 from Bella Donna, 1 from Wild Heart, 2 from Rock A Little, and 2 pre TISL demos. Not too sure about which eras that "Lady", "Carousel" and "I Don't Care" come from.

Anyway, it's very well rounded. Most of her early Fleetwood Mac work and early solo career are represented in this set...and that's what makes this whole project exciting! That's what gets me pumped up and counting the days! It's been said a million times, but it sure is a THRILLING time to be a Stevie fan!

And like I always say (a million times)...everything I post is merely my humble opinion, of course.
Exactly. I am really, extremely happy with this record. I got 8 songs from my wishlist. If I had heard Knocking On Doors prior to this whole announcement, it would have been 9.

Before TISL, I wanted Sorcerer, Nomad, and No Light - and I got them, one of them twice. And I wanted Running Through The Garden, Smile At You, and The Tower, and I got all of those too. Then I got Lady From The Mountain and Secret Love. So I really don't have much to complain about. Out of all the demos, a full 16 of the ones I would have wanted to be released finally have been. And then there's a FM album next year to look forward to as well.

I can safely state that Carousel is at least pre-Enchanted. I remember seeing that song on the online list (at NicksFix, I think) on my folks' old Windows 95 PC (lol). So it's at least Street Angel or older.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can safely state that Carousel is at least pre-Enchanted. I remember seeing that song on the online list (at NicksFix, I think) on my folks' old Windows 95 PC (lol). So it's at least Street Angel or older.
I wonder if the liner notes for this new album will include dates or eras in which each song was recorded...or maybe a paragraph or two about the meaning of each song (like she did with "Timespace" and "Crystal Visions")?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wonder if the liner notes for this new album will include dates or eras in which each song was recorded...or maybe a paragraph or two about the meaning of each song (like she did with "Timespace" and "Crystal Visions")?
I think that would be really cool. We have some of the details. If there are more, or any stories behind the songs, it would be neat to get those, too.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In the end the track lists didn't matter and what was done with the songs by stevie and Dave did matter. If the track list did matter I would be extremely disappointed. Both of the fake lists had space needle and Julia and I think at least one had baby doll. Then the official version had none of those but had she loves him still, cathouse blues, belle fluer and mable Normand, all songsI never needed to see the light of day. Now with at least mable Normand I see the track list didn't matter because they truly can turn any demo into gold, And I still get to listen to all my favorite demos that didn't ale the cut

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-23-2014, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Happy to see some express acceptance for what this album will be and not disappointment for what some fans wanted it to be. After all, these are the songs that made it on Stevie's wish list, not ours.

Sure, I would have loved it if songs like Baby Doll and Julia made the cut. But that doesn't overshadow my excitement and anticipation for the album. As noted, those songs still exist to enjoy in their demo form.

As for the preoccupation and notion that the songs on the album should sound like the demos -- some may adhere to the original arrangement, and some might be reinvented and rearranged. It's really unfair to make comparisons; the demos were never meant to be circulated and heard by the masses in the first place. If anyone has an problem about it, then just listen to the demos! I would hate to hear anyone complain about something so trivial.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-23-2014 at 01:41 AM..