Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Do you like your name?

If you had the chance to name yourself, what would you choose?

I'm happy with Jake.
Then again, it is a nickname.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate my name actually, although a lot of people like the name Justin. I don't get it, it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely, and usually when you try to say the name fast the 't' sound gets slurred or blunted, so it sounds like "Jussin." I was supposed to have been named Brent, which I would take over Justin any day, but honestly I don't know what name I would prefer most. Guys names aren't fun like girls' names.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

lol This is what I get from going directly to the computer from rolling out of bed in the morning, but I saw the thread title and who started it, and I thought, 'Ah, poor darklinensuit - I'm glad that's not my name'
Maybe I should have breakfast first before I check the boards.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Love it.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At first I kinda thought WTF??? But since my mother and all my grandparents are from Ireland and my uncle is named Seamus, I have come to embrace it, even though I have yet to meet another Seamus in the world. My mom decided to spell my name the phonetic way so people wouldn't pronounce it "see-mus" Overall, I like it.

Shamus
Old 01-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart long name ~ long post

My name is Catherine. Everyone always tries to call me Cathy or Cat. Which the latter part is fine. But I am not a Cathy. Not that there is anything wrong with that. See my last name is Lee so if I went by Cathy it wouldn't be pretty ~ I was teased so bad in 5th grade. I have nightmares of little children following behind me screaming Cathy Lee Crosby. But all in all I like my name. I had a hell of a time learning to spell it in pre-K and told my Mom as much. All my friends had names like Kim or Amy. Not me. Catherine ~ I have like 50 different words in my name . You can even spell Cat in a Hat.

"Everyone born in the month of February thinks they are right!" Quote from a lady at the table next to us at Don Pablo's!!

http://www.myspace.com/catherinetuliano
Old 01-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really don't like my name....Marissa...blah.....my middle name is Lee. It was supposed to be spelled "Leigh" but my mom changed it out of fear that my entire name would be too long for me...my last name? Long. And Italian. Initially, my mom wanted to name me Marja. Dad said, HELL NO. So, I suppose Marissa is a lot better than Marja. Thank you dad!
Old 01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
I really don't like my name....Marissa...blah.....my middle name is Lee. It was supposed to be spelled "Leigh" but my mom changed it out of fear that my entire name would be too long for me...my last name? Long. And Italian. Initially, my mom wanted to name me Marja. Dad said, HELL NO. So, I suppose Marissa is a lot better than Marja. Thank you dad!
Marja Lee.

"I can bring home the bacon (dah dah dah dah)
Fry it up in the pan
And never let you forget you're a man
'Cause I'm a woman
Marja Lee"

Well, not QUITE the same as that old jingle.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
I hate my name actually, although a lot of people like the name Justin. I don't get it, it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely, and usually when you try to say the name fast the 't' sound gets slurred or blunted, so it sounds like "Jussin." I was supposed to have been named Brent, which I would take over Justin any day, but honestly I don't know what name I would prefer most. Guys names aren't fun like girls' names.
Justin is a fine name. The only bad thing is it's so trendy now, and I never care for the trendy names.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Maybe I should have breakfast first before I check the boards.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Love it.
Especially since your birth certificate includes vowels.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShamHy89
At first I kinda thought WTF??? But since my mother and all my grandparents are from Ireland and my uncle is named Seamus, I have come to embrace it, even though I have yet to meet another Seamus in the world. My mom decided to spell my name the phonetic way so people wouldn't pronounce it "see-mus" Overall, I like it.

Shamus
I like the more traditional ethnic names. Good for your folks.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: long name ~ long post

Quote:
Originally posted by Pisces Queen
My name is Catherine. Everyone always tries to call me Cathy or Cat. Which the latter part is fine. But I am not a Cathy. Not that there is anything wrong with that. See my last name is Lee so if I went by Cathy it wouldn't be pretty ~ I was teased so bad in 5th grade. I have nightmares of little children following behind me screaming Cathy Lee Crosby. But all in all I like my name. I had a hell of a time learning to spell it in pre-K and told my Mom as much. All my friends had names like Kim or Amy. Not me. Catherine ~ I have like 50 different words in my name . You can even spell Cat in a Hat.
Sure thing, Cate.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking It's a love/hate relationship!

Growing up, I hated Carlene because it was not common. I would have killed to have had the luxury to walk into a card store and pick up "Carlene" pencils and "Carlene" notepads!! All my friends had pencils with their names on it....why couldn't I?!?!

I found out from my mother that I almost was named Michelene. It's pretty, but my goodness! I would have been "Mikey" all through school!

Now that I'm an adult, I find I really like my name. It is unique and I get a lot of compliments on it. The only thing that really gets me, though, is when people call me Charlene. Nothing against that name, but it is not mine. (Just a little pet peeve I have -- I kind of like it when people call me by my correct name!)

And really...it's quite an honor to have two songs written for me: "Carlene" by country singer Phil Vassar and "Carlene" by the New Monkees!! At least they both spelled it right!
Old 01-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Marja Lee.

"I can bring home the bacon (dah dah dah dah)
Fry it up in the pan
And never let you forget you're a man
'Cause I'm a woman
Marja Lee"

Well, not QUITE the same as that old jingle.

- Jake

I'm pretty sure you know my last name. Despite the fact that it begins with an "M," it doesn't go with Marja....Marja Lee...can I get a HELL NO