The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 04-18-2020, 09:31 PM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Thanks, Netter75, for all this detail.

It amazes me that with songs like "Candlebright" "Sorcerer" "The Dealer" "Planets Of The Universe" and "Smile At You" available, they still went with something as awful as "Welcome To The Room Sara" (maybe Stevie insisted on its inclusion). "When I See You Again" is also worse than the above songs, but not nearly so bad as "Welcome To The Room" (which really prevents the album from being able to claim masterpiece status).
I agree with this, and it is baffling. TANGO and MASK were the Mac albums with sub-par Nicks compositions. Regarding TANGO, it would have been a rival to RUMOURS had Nicks's three songs been high quality. They would have been better off with Seven Wonders, Juliet, and Ooh My Love from those sessions, or by resurrecting If You Were My Love or Smile At You from the MIRAGE sessions.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-19-2020, 05:24 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
I agree with this, and it is baffling. TANGO and MASK were the Mac albums with sub-par Nicks compositions. Regarding TANGO, it would have been a rival to RUMOURS had Nicks's three songs been high quality. They would have been better off with Seven Wonders, Juliet, and Ooh My Love from those sessions, or by resurrecting If You Were My Love or Smile At You from the MIRAGE sessions.
Its not really baffling. Substance abuse really hurt Stevie during this era. Had she been around and not went to rehab or showed up drunk and high maybe the band would have had more to work on In Stevie's own words she says she "mailed" them "When I see you again" from the road during the RAL tour. Ooh My Love's track was stolen accidently from Petty. Stevie just did not have the time to spend with the band nor was she in the state to spend time with the band.
On BTM, Stevie was in a zombie like state.

Yes the possibilities could have been better. Imagine Tango having "Running through the Garden" and "Smile at you"
Mick stated that Stevie only contributed 4 songs. I don't think Ooh My Love was considered because Stevie pulled it based on the stolen Petty track. She contributed "What has rock n roll ever done for you" but the band passed. Not baffling at all. In fact its a miracle what Lindsey pulled off. Its really kind of spooky. I know he would never write a book but gosh could you imagine the stories he could tell.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-19-2020, 06:27 PM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its not really baffling. Substance abuse really hurt Stevie during this era. Had she been around and not went to rehab or showed up drunk and high maybe the band would have had more to work on In Stevie's own words she says she "mailed" them "When I see you again" from the road during the RAL tour. Ooh My Love's track was stolen accidently from Petty. Stevie just did not have the time to spend with the band nor was she in the state to spend time with the band.
On BTM, Stevie was in a zombie like state.

Yes the possibilities could have been better. Imagine Tango having "Running through the Garden" and "Smile at you"
Mick stated that Stevie only contributed 4 songs. I don't think Ooh My Love was considered because Stevie pulled it based on the stolen Petty track. She contributed "What has rock n roll ever done for you" but the band passed. Not baffling at all. In fact its a miracle what Lindsey pulled off. Its really kind of spooky. I know he would never write a book but gosh could you imagine the stories he could tell.
Yes, she and Mick both were in a pretty bad state during the making of TANGO (and hence a big part of why Buckingham didn't want to tour), but when I say "baffling" I mean baffling that the rest of the band didn't insist on better songs. As mentioned before, even going back to ones previously demo'd for MIRAGE.

As you say though maybe her state just didn't allow for them to do so, and maybe they considered it lucky to get the three that they did. It's such a disappointment though. Her songwriting was top notch through the first four Mac albums. I thought McVie slipped a bit on TUSK, Buckingham slipped on MIRAGE, and then Nicks on TANGO. Post-RUMOURS there was always one of them that wasn't up to par during a particular album.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-19-2020, 10:56 PM
moon's Avatar
moon moon is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
I thought McVie slipped a bit on TUSK, Buckingham slipped on MIRAGE, and then Nicks on TANGO. Post-RUMOURS there was always one of them that wasn't up to par during a particular album.
Hmmmm maybe...but it's hard to believe Chris could slip on an album. Her contributions are always great. In Tusk she had a good number of songs, and Over & Over, Think About Me, Brown Eyes and Never Forget are wonderful pieces...Then she had a wonderful work on Mirage, even better than Lindsey, but Lindsey ruled with Can't Go Back and Book Of Love, and made an amazing job on Chris' songs.
But Nicks always had three or four songs in every album, and there's at least ONE song that really rocks. There was not enough time to hear more from SN on the albums after Rumours. She had only three songs in Tango In The Night, and those songs were not the best she could do...Songs like Angel or Straight Back were quite better than the Tango songs, even those that were finally not included.
Her situation was different in 1990. She had another attitude with the band, and after Lindsey's departure, I think Chris needed her help on her own songs. The vocals of Nicks on As Longs As You Follow and the Behind The Mask album are great, with The Other Side Of The Mirror in the middle. She had better forces to work with the band again.

Returning to the thread, it's hard to believe that Stevie Nicks did any contribution to the Buckingham-McVie songs of Tango, more if we think that most of the songs were written between 1986 and 1987, and there was a work between Lindsey and Chris, that took color with the contribution of John and Fleetwood.

Mark.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-20-2020, 04:18 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Yes, she and Mick both were in a pretty bad state during the making of TANGO (and hence a big part of why Buckingham didn't want to tour), but when I say "baffling" I mean baffling that the rest of the band didn't insist on better songs. As mentioned before, even going back to ones previously demo'd for MIRAGE.

As you say though maybe her state just didn't allow for them to do so, and maybe they considered it lucky to get the three that they did. It's such a disappointment though. Her songwriting was top notch through the first four Mac albums. I thought McVie slipped a bit on TUSK, Buckingham slipped on MIRAGE, and then Nicks on TANGO. Post-RUMOURS there was always one of them that wasn't up to par during a particular album.
There is a common theme about the songs Steve contributed to Tango. They were all new songs. Maybe she wanted to contribute new stuff for fear her older songs had been rejected before.
One thing I would love to know is about the vocals on When I see you again. Did Lindsey take the vocal directly from the demo that was mailed? Did Stevie actually show up in the studio to record it? Was his part added to make the song complete?
IMHO Welcome to the Room Sara is another clue. Its a song post-rehab. Clearly the band had very little material to work with while she was on the RAL tour or in rehab. Once she reappeared again there could have been panic and she just brought her most recent song. It seems her songs were just thrown into the mix at spontaneous times.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-20-2020, 05:23 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,170
Default

and let's not forget, Seven Wonders is NOT really a Stevie composition at all. It was a Sandy Stewart song in which Stevie mis-sang a few words and for that demanded listing as cowriter and got it.

So really, all she brought to the table was two songs --Welcome to the Room Sara and When I See You Again. And of course the Sandy Stewart song was the only one worthy of being a single (so if you're SS, who had to give 25% to Stevie, it would seem 75% of a Mac hit is better money than 100% of nothing). (Also interesting to note is the vocal on the released version of Seven Wonders is a slightly sped up version of how she actually sang it... slower and a bit lower. It would seem they either couldn't get her back in the studio for another take, or they couldn't get a better take out of her and had to fiddle with the one complete good take they had).

Stevie got really shady about how much her writing was petering out as time went on, and many of the songs that were Mike Campbell musical tracks that she put lyrics to were not credited as such on the actual album credits at the time. Shady.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-21-2020, 07:40 PM
tabruns tabruns is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Hmmmm maybe...but it's hard to believe Chris could slip on an album. Her contributions are always great. In Tusk she had a good number of songs, and Over & Over, Think About Me, Brown Eyes and Never Forget are wonderful pieces...
For me, McVie always supplies the really commercial songs. On TUSK, that doesn't really happen - "Think About Me" is the only real "radio ready" song of hers on the album. I think "Brown Eyes" is fantastic, and none of her songs are bad, but they aren't the usual catchy pop songs she normally supplied.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-22-2020, 05:18 PM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
(Also interesting to note is the vocal on the released version of Seven Wonders is a slightly sped up version of how she actually sang it... slower and a bit lower. It would seem they either couldn't get her back in the studio for another take, or they couldn't get a better take out of her and had to fiddle with the one complete good take they had).
Somewhere out in the back of my mind I remember an interview where Lindsey said after he recorded several takes of Stevie singing that, he spliced the song together using bits and pieces of her best singing. I think he first experimented with this technique while recording the Rumours album.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-28-2020, 08:39 PM
ViscountViktor ViscountViktor is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 409
Default

Just chuckling at the idea of drugged up Stevie turning up to the studio to record synth (??) parts for Everywhere, a song literally written by a piano player.
__________________
So I close my eyes softly, till I become that part of the wind...
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-28-2020, 10:15 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Just chuckling at the idea of drugged up Stevie turning up to the studio to record synth (??) parts for Everywhere, a song literally written by a piano player.
I have a hard time picturing her successfully dialing a phone number.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-29-2020, 07:15 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I have a hard time picturing her successfully dialing a phone number.
Maybe that is the inspiration for her demo "Dial the number"


__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-29-2020, 11:00 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Maybe that is the inspiration for her demo "Dial the number"


I'm not familiar with that. Is it about her coke dealer?
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm not familiar with that. Is it about her coke dealer?
dedicated to her Homer


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8sHlo-Hask
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-29-2020, 01:29 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
and let's not forget, Seven Wonders is NOT really a Stevie composition at all.
Much the same way “Blue Letter” and “Crystal” weren’t really Lindsey Buckingham compositions.

Quote:
It was a Sandy Stewart song in which Stevie mis-sang a few words and for that demanded listing as cowriter and got it.
Seems less shady than reworking an old song and not giving the original writer credit like they did on “World Turning.”

Quote:
So really, all she brought to the table was two songs
Just like Lindsey in 1975.

ETA: And, it’s not like Christine didn’t lift a little melody from George Hawkins...

https://youtu.be/ndMHOBz2uBw
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-29-2020 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-29-2020, 04:47 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thanks.

Honestly, I didn't find it that catchy...do you?
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks
$899.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks pictureFLEETWOOD MAC card 1970 Mister Softee Lord Neilson PSA 10 Rookie pop 5 highest
$800.0
FLEETWOOD MAC card 1970 Mister Softee Lord Neilson PSA 10 Rookie pop 5 highest pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$499.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) pictureFleetwood Mac Vintage Jacket 70s/80s Rock Band From England.
$450.0
Fleetwood Mac Vintage Jacket 70s/80s Rock Band From England. pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved