User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Stevie's Collaborations with Mike Campbell - Ranked

Inspired by another thread: What is your opinion of Stevie's collaborations with Mike Campbell? I am not counting SDMHA because it is not a co-write.

Here's mine:

Love

1. Blue Denim - fantastic. I adore this song. One of my favorites of Stevie's.

2. Whole Lotta Trouble - A fun rocker. Great song!

3. Freedom - I think this is underrated. It's catchy.

Eh

4. For What It's Worth - the grammatical problem of this one annoys me no end and keeps me from enjoying it. I'm sorry. However, it has its good parts.

5. My Heart - OK. Boring in some parts.

6. Desert Angel - Tiresome and dreary in many parts. However, I don't think I hate it as much as everyone else, because it's not at the bottom for me. It has some nice lines.

7. Ghosts - Doesn't interest me. I usually skip it. Again, some nice lines here and there.

8. You Like Me - This one was released by the Williams Brothers but there's also an unreleased version of Stevie doing it. It's alright. Nothing special. Glad she didn't release it.

9. Greta - not bad, but not very interesting. Some questionable lyrical choices.

Dislike

10. Fire Burning - This song had potential but it was squandered with asinine lyrics. "Let me tell you about this fire in my house...except there is no fire! it's just an illusion!" MIND BLOWN!

Loathe

11. Kick It - This song makes no sense. It's like Stevie just stuck lyrics together. I'm sure they must have had some coherence in her head... but I can't follow the trail.

12. I Don't Care - This song grates on me. It annoys me. I can't stand it.

13. Imperial Hotel - HATE. SO. MUCH. Meandering....self-indulgent, half-baked lyrics... awful.

Special Question: Should she do any of these with Fleetwood Mac?

No.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-25-2018 at 11:26 PM..
Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn’t mind WLT or a revamped version of Freedom, but not necessarily at the expense of other songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can never get the love for Blue Denim, talk about half baked lyrics and a klonopin-choked vocal, you can hear her trying so hard, but....

I like My Heart a lot, but not the one that appeared as a bonus on IYD, the other one.

The rest of these collaborations do not do anything for me, really. Working with Campbell dragged her down a lot. So let's see what any future album might bring. I have low expectations.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I like My Heart a lot, but not the one that appeared as a bonus on IYD, the other one.
That one is definitely superior. It would have made "Like."

Quote:
The rest of these collaborations do not do anything for me, really. Working with Campbell dragged her down a lot. So let's see what any future album might bring. I have low expectations.
The odds do not appear to be in their favor.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-22-2018 at 03:12 PM..
Old 06-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

“You Like Me” might have potential. I just heard the demo, and it’s not the worst Stevie song I’ve ever heard.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Inspired by another thread: What is your opinion of Stevie's collaborations with Mike Campbell? I am not counting SDMHA because it is not a co-write.

Here's mine:

Love

Eh

4. For What It's Worth - the grammatical problem of this one annoys me no end and keeps me from enjoying it. I'm sorry. However, it has its good parts.

6. Desert Angel - Tiresome and dreary in many parts. However, I don't think I hate it as much as everyone else, because it's not at the bottom for me. It has some nice lines.

7. Ghosts - Doesn't interest me. I usually skip it. Again, some nice lines here and there.

8. You Like Me - This one was released by the Williams Brothers but there's also an unreleased version of Stevie doing it. It's alright. Nothing special. Glad she didn't release it.

Loathe

9. I Don't Care - This song grates on me. It annoys me. I can't stand it.

10. Imperial Hotel - HATE. SO. MUCH. Meandering....self-indulgent, half-baked lyrics... awful.

No.
Thanks for doing this... I wasn't sure how many songs they had co-written so it's nice and helpful to have them listed in one thread.

LOVE:
Imperial Hotel- sorry you don't like this one. I love the lyrics and the background vocals really enhance the song.

Blue Denim- if it were on another, better album, this would almost be filler, but on a stinker like Street Angel, it sounds like a masterpiece.

LIKE:
Freedom

My Heart

EH:
For What Its Worth

Ghosts

LOATHE:
Desert Angel

While Lotta Trouble

I've never heard You Like Me or I Don't Care. Generally, I haven't been all that impressed with their collaborations. I would be ok if they performed Freedom, it is a FM song and a deep cut, and I think it would sound great live.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I've never heard You Like Me or I Don't Care.
Here you go:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eObmreDWPC8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m57tHMuK7Bw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-22-2018 at 09:07 PM..
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie and Mike do not have the greatest track record when it comes to songs they've written together. Imo, they mostly range from "not that bad" to "really, really bad". I think that is probably because they never actually wrote 'together', she said she would just write lyrics on top of tracks he'd send her. Granted some of the lyrics still just sucked and some of the music was terribly cheesy, but if they had actively collaborated they might've been able to churn out something better.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Stevie and Mike do not have the greatest track record when it comes to songs they've written together. Imo, they mostly range from "not that bad" to "really, really bad". I think that is probably because they never actually wrote 'together', she said she would just write lyrics on top of tracks he'd send her. Granted some of the lyrics still just sucked and some of the music was terribly cheesy, but if they had actively collaborated they might've been able to churn out something better.
I think Stevie said in the liner notes for Whole Lotta Trouble on Timespace how much Mike had helped her on that song. I don't have access to it right now, but she gushed about it. Sorry I don't remember specifics. I'm not a big fan of horns, etc so the song doesn't do much for me at all.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

Here's mine:

Love

Eh

Loathe

9. I Don't Care - This song grates on me. It annoys me. I can't stand it.

10. Imperial Hotel - HATE. SO. MUCH. Meandering....self-indulgent, half-baked lyrics... awful.

No.
Haha. It's funny how you loathe "Imperial Hotel" and I love it. I agree the lyrics are corny but it's a short catchy rock song, very Tom Petty sounding of course.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Haha. It's funny how you loathe "Imperial Hotel" and I love it. I agree the lyrics are corny but it's a short catchy rock song, very Tom Petty sounding of course.
It looks like I might be in the minority on "Imperial Hotel"!

Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love or like all of the collaborations except I Don’t Care, which may be my least favorite of all of Stevie’s songs, solo and FM combined. Often I eventually change my mind about songs of hers I dislike, but four years later I still do not like the song.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I love or like all of the collaborations except I Don’t Care, which may be my least favorite of all of Stevie’s songs, solo and FM combined. Often I eventually change my mind about songs of hers I dislike, but four years later I still do not like the song.
The music to I Don’t Care is good, but the lyrics are a bit of a stinkaroo.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The music to I Don’t Care is good, but the lyrics are a bit of a stinkaroo.
One contributor's part is good + one contributor's part is bad = collaboration fail.

Truthfully, I'm not that enamored of the music either. There are good riffs, but the different parts don't fit together well.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVE:

1. You Like Me- This is one of my favorite songs of hers ever. Definitely would’ve been my favorite on Rock a Little. And I can’t believe I did t think of this earlier but this should absolutely get done on this tour and should be a Fleetwood Mac
Song. Adding mick and John would take this song to another level.

2. For What It’s Worth

3. Imperial Hotel

4. Freedom

Really Good

5. I Don’t Care
6. Blue Denim

Eh

7. My Heart
8. Whole Lotta Trouble
9. Kick It (has this been included yet, it should)

Not Good

10. Desert Angel
11. Ghosts

He Will Burn You Down