The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Stevie, Lindsey or Christine?? (favorite singer/songwriter)
Christine McVie 29 18.83%
Lindsey Buckingham 35 22.73%
Stevie Nicks 90 58.44%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I was referring to over here as in Britian, Viv.
You don't have to be snippy. I knew you were referring to England.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You don't have to be snippy. I knew you were referring to England.
I wasn't being snippy. I just thought you had misunderstood. I'm sorry if it came off as snippy. I assure you that wasn't my intention.

Bee hug?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At the show I went to (Royal Oak, MI) he played Illumination, In Our Own Time, Stars Are Crazy, End of Time, and Seeds We Sow from SWS- Illumination, IOOT, and End of Time worked really well live, I thought. Maybe he had an off night in Phoenix?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
There was only one song in his show to my knowledge he performed from SWS and it sounded just like a lot of his past weird sounding stuff. I was not impressed.
He performed 6 songs from SWS. Yes, I'm sure all of his unimpressive weird sounding stuff is fungible, but there were quite a few new songs in the setlist.

Michele
Old 03-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I wasn't being snippy. I just thought you had misunderstood. I'm sorry if it came off as snippy. I assure you that wasn't my intention.

Bee hug?
haha!! Silver Springs.. does it hurt to hug a bee? lol
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
haha!! Silver Springs.. does it hurt to hug a bee? lol
Nooo! We have fluffy jumpers on. We're cuddly, just in miniature
Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post

Hehehehe.

I was an LB fan first and then found FM. He's always been the one that touched me the most (that's what she said! LOL) and made me cry when I heard his music.

Stevie's music doesn't affect me the same way, for the most part sans a select few songs. I enjoy her stuff, but overall, I just enjoy listening to it. I don't really feel it all that much.

Danny Kirwan is officially my third favorite member of the band but he's not on this list. I've always seen Danny as a mixture of Lindsey and Stevie in that he had the amazing guitar work in his music, but also very mysterious lyrics and an etheral voice.

Christine would be fourth.
It isn't correct in English in this context, right ? I don't know, i'm French and doing my best to communicate here

Quote:
So did I. Thus why I voted for Lindsey.... Was only giving my opinion
Yep i get why you choose Lindsey but am not quite sure for the other two...anyway didn't mean to offend you and am respecting your opinion
Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default thanks CAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I went with Stevie. She's still the one who can pull off a lyric that will touch me the most emotionally and make an "ok" song suddenly become grand to me. Also, I think she still is an excellent harmony singer and is the most naturally gifted at harmonies.

I prefer her younger voice too, of course. But, that goes for all of them!
sorry to make you agonize over your decision... and thanks for voting!

re voices, i can't really say for others, but i definitely prefer lindsey's voice now over his young voice during BN/FM/Rumours time. he had the range, but not the fullness that he has now.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
sorry to make you agonize over your decision... and thanks for voting!

re voices, i can't really say for others, but i definitely prefer lindsey's voice now over his young voice during BN/FM/Rumours time. he had the range, but not the fullness that he has now.

...along with a truckload of digital effects!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
For someone who claims that Stevie is his favorite, you sure do have a lot of criticisms about her, and rather consistently.
I've had to explain this many times over the years. I think because Stevie is capable of such amazing singing, songwriting, and performing, I am disappointed when she doesn't live up to her full potential. Stevie's what drew me into Fleetwood Mac, and she's the one who has kept my interest for 20 years now. I'm an unabashed fanboy for her, even though her output has been quite jagged and erratic over the decades.

Quote:
Chris is the "highest quality" of the group? What does that mean, exactly?
Christine's material, when viewed on a song by song basis against the other songwriters of the band, is the highest quality in my book. She has very, very few clunkers. Her songwriting is consistently good, her voice is consistently great (seems to get better with age, if anything), and her live performances throughout the years also are pretty consistent & good. Contrast this with Stevie, for instance, who is highly variable. Her voice is every changing; she can write really amazing songs which blow all the other songwriters in the band outta the water, but she can also write some pretty horrific clunkers; Stevie can either be a consummate performer live, or she can totally phone in her performances. She's just not terribly consistent with the quality of her product.

Quote:
Also, I don't see how Stevie is a weak link. She's definitely the most successful and popular in the band (for example, she's winning this poll) and yes, success is relative, but she has to be doing something right to have garnered such a strong and faithful fanbase for all these years. I also think she's a very strong link in the band, as a songwriter, singer and frontwoman. I think Stevie, Lindsey and Chris are all strong links in the band and contribute greatly in their own ways. Without them, FM would be remembered in history as that great British Blues band from the 60's.
I answered most of this in the above couple quotes. Stevie absolutely transformed the band from a somewhat esoteric footnote in music to being one of the biggest bands in rock history. Stevie IS Fleetwood Mac.

Quote:
Also, what do you mean by "emotional fave?" Does that mean you mostly just like her and not her music? I don't get it.
This means that Stevie is my favorite, even though she is highly flawed. To me, she way more than equals the sum of her parts. Christine & Lindsey may have more going for them in various ways (Christine has all the radio hits, Lindsey has all the musical talent & was responsible for much of the signature Fleetwood Mac sound, etc), but Stevie remains my fav nonetheless.

I'm sorry my posts clearly annoy you. I adore Stevie thoroughly, but I also don't kid myself about her weaknesses, and am fascinated/perplexed by her shortcomings just as much as my unrelenting love for her. Hopefully this answers some of your questions?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
[/b]

...along with a truckload of digital effects!
sure. someone i know recorded this... without any effects, not even mic set up for singing:

along with 2 other songs from the same evening.

i like this voice much better than rumours-era voice.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Christine's material, when viewed on a song by song basis against the other songwriters of the band, is the highest quality in my book. She has very, very few clunkers. Her songwriting is consistently good, her voice is consistently great (seems to get better with age, if anything), and her live performances throughout the years also are pretty consistent & good.
I adore Christine. I really do. I agree with everything you said. You know Christine is going to deliver a solid song, performance, whatever. You know when you hear one of her songs, your toe will tap and you'll probably be able to sing along with the chorus after one listen. To me, she's as great as anyone who is not Stevie could be.

For me, Stevie just has the WOW moments that no one else does. Whether it's a vocal or a composition, Stevie can blow me away like no other. And those wow moments are spread all throughout her career, even in eras when there were more lows than highs. Even if she's not always consistent, for me that's a perfectly fair trade for her most brilliant efforts. On a scale of 1-10, Christine's worst is probably a 7, but her best is probably an 8. With Stevie the range is wider, but when she gives us a 10, all is right in the world.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
from reading various forums here, my estimate would be there are maybe 5-10 Christine fans, ~20 Lindsey fans, and probably way more than 30-40 Stevie fans that are active at least occasionally... but i might be completely off.
seems my prediction may have been way off - results so far:

Christine McVie 9
Lindsey Buckingham 13
Stevie Nicks 29

so Christine might have more than 10 fans here, while Lindsey is not even close to 20 yet and there may be only 4-5 more people i could think of as LB fans here. must be that we are just really loud!

and Stevie is not even at 30 yet... but i am pretty sure that many rabid SN fans don't really ever look outside SN forum. probably don't even know there's rumours forum here!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

and Stevie is not even at 30 yet... but i am pretty sure that many rabid SN fans don't really ever look outside SN forum. probably don't even know there's rumours forum here!
And I faithfully open the Steve E. forum annually, whether I feel like it or not.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

My choice wouldn't surprise many. I voted for Lindsey. When I knew generally about Fleetwood Mac, my feelings on each member were very different. I thought for sure Stevie was the dynamite and the others were insignificant. This is what I gathered from magazine articles and VH1. It was just that angle that FM press was spun at. Not to say that she wasn't, from the very moment, a STAR in every way...but it's far more complicated than that.

I finally became an FM fan through seeing Lindsey Buckingham perform live. All the others paled in comparison when I saw him. His fire, his passion, his beautiful emotional intensity. And the way he played that guitar like there was no tomorrow. Lindsey is such an incredible artist. He isn't the star of FM, obviously, and he did not have Stevie's lyrical prowess, but he did more tha anyone to create that sound that has made this band so timeless. His fingerprints are on all of it. And he was also responsible for writing and performing songs that have such an emotional resonance. Perhaps not extremely verbose or containing that poetic imagery that Stevie did so wonderfully, but the way he could deliver all the passion and emotion is just as effective.

And then of course...he came up with Tusk. He forged ahead with that album, although for sure the band would have preferred a more commercial/Rumours-like outing. I love his vision and intensity. I love his musicianship. His quirkiness. His genius.

I'm a total LB girl all the way. I adore Christine for her obvious gifts as a pop songwriter and she is AMAZING. Stevie has a unique delivery and her lyrics have been some of my all-time favorites. But when it comes down to what gives me that fire in FM and makes me stay a fan and not just a casual admirer...Lindsey Buckingham, THANK YOU because your music and talent is simply astonishing.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL