User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
It's refreshing when I read of people actually noticing that there is a formula with every Fleetwood Mac dish we're served. Each book, no matter who the 'disher', is little more than timetabled gossip that wouldn't be out of place in a magazine. I never had any ambition to buy the book, because I knew what to expect. It's the same reason I stopped reading Mick's book when I bought it (for 50 pence, I feel I need to interject with) and didn't even bother cracking open Carol Ann's little serving. I'd love to hear even a collaborated effort, rather than one sided stories that could easily be refuted if another member could be bothered (or indeed find the financial incentive) to do so. I'd much rather hear about the music, the different routes the could have taken with the work, the struggles they've encountered in marketing and acquiring interest in order to sell their creations. Even the little myths and legends behind the lyrics. Not literary tit for tat. I just wish John would write a book on the Fleetwood Mac history, because given his stoic nature it could be exactly the route he chooses to take. After all, you never hear of him releasing these little tales and chinese whispers, do you? It's obvious with him that his unwavering passion is the music, not the band politics.
Agreed. I would be very interested to read a book written by John.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I just love the fact that such a negative response is being garnered in this thread...and he's a member of the site. I can see him sitting down with a cup of Tea at the computer, thinking 'Right. Let's see how mah booky wook's doing', scanning this thread and completely deflating haha. I suppose it must be like when you hear a group of people having a derogatory conversation about you, but they don't know you're there.
If he could handle Fleetwood Mac, he could handle this place.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac - The chain Is Broken

Sad
Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post

Stevie's not perfect, and her management is not evil.
Do you really think the five minute view we get of a woman who knows she's being filmed is completely accurate? I love Stevie, but we don't know her personally, nor do we know her management or her assistant. I'm so tired of all the Karen bashing, because we just have no idea. The people around Stevie are doing their jobs, and clearly doing them in a way that Stevie's satisfied with. That's all we need to know.
Totally agreed. I really don't know if Stevie's such a sweetheart. I mean i love her, but i tend to think that when you achieve that kind of success, you have to make bad choices at times. And same goes for Lindsey. Reading what Ken has to say, though Lindsey might be quiet, i think he is as responsible for the state of FM right now as Stevie. Everything about this, and what Mick said few days ago, is very childish. I like to remember this bit in the Destiny Rules doc where Stevie's all like "these people have issues, they are not going to care about who is on top of billboard", or something...they are so egocentric, it's scary at times.
And Karen...well it's just Karen. I'm not sure she's the boss, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman_01701 View Post
Sad
Naaah, never will be. That's what memories are for.
I miss Christine.

Damn all of this sounds so political, i hate it. I bet they are back on the road next year or in 2014 anyway...
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot wait to read this book. He has a very different perspective on things.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post

Stevie's not perfect, and her management is not evil.
Do you really think the five minute view we get of a woman who knows she's being filmed is completely accurate? I love Stevie, but we don't know her personally, nor do we know her management or her assistant.
David didn't say Stevie's "perfect." He said she's sweet & affable, and by all accounts (journalists, industry insiders, other artists, fans), that's an accurate description. But, yes, artists employ people, like Karen, who aren't afraid to say "no" or turn people away. Often, it's for their own protection. Not every one has the best of intentions -- even past collaborators and/or one-time friends.

It's interesting to hear Ken grousing about the walls that have built up around the band members. With his daughter's fame steadily increasing, I'm sure the protective walls are building around her as we speak.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not enjoying the Lindsey Buckingham vibes. This is the first time I heard him criticized by a colleage outside Fleetwood Mac. Sounds like Lindsey is a complete narcissist. Mick and Stevie seem to be the vocals one and Christine and John just go along. Yet, Christine has put Stevie in her place before. Strange dynamics. Battle of the Dragons
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everybody here should know that I adore Christine McVie Love her style and her songs and I understand her leaving the band back in 1998 and wanting to move on in her life and "settle down" if you will.

What I don't understand is the whole "I don't want to go against the band" line that she said/implied to Ken. Christine, dear, you left "the band" 13 years ago! That just really confuses me. Current band members or people still affiliated w/FM I can understand feeling that way. However Christine left all those years ago and to our understanding hasn't given FM any thought.

I guess the real question is "What is Christine's current status/feelings with Fleetwood Mac"?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so excited to read this book too- I preordered it a while back on Amazon, and I was ecstatic to get a notice via email today that the release date was moved up, so I'll be receiving it 10 days earlier than expected! School work may just have to be put on hold for a couple days...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Most likely, Stevie's. Face it,, they all have to bow to her wishes....
I don't see it that way. You may not want Stevie in the band, but they do. There are pros and cons to having her in the band, but Mick has decided what is important to him and made his decision accordingly.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
There are pros [money] and cons [less chances to make money] to having her in the band, but Mick has decided what is important to him [sh*t load of money] and made his decision accordingly.
FIXED version.

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-30-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Everybody here should know that I adore Christine McVie Love her style and her songs and I understand her leaving the band back in 1998 and wanting to move on in her life and "settle down" if you will.

What I don't understand is the whole "I don't want to go against the band" line that she said/implied to Ken. Christine, dear, you left "the band" 13 years ago! That just really confuses me. Current band members or people still affiliated w/FM I can understand feeling that way. However Christine left all those years ago and to our understanding hasn't given FM any thought.

I guess the real question is "What is Christine's current status/feelings with Fleetwood Mac"?
My guess is she doesn't want to stir the FMac pot because she is peacefully living in England. Makes no sense for her to cause any flak they may come back to disturb her peace.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
One of the things that makes Fleetwood Mac interesting is the politics. They occasionally like to talk sh** about each other in the press, but at the end of the day, they circle the wagons very tightly around each other- the fab five. Fleetwood Mac the band comes first, and everyone else on the periphery of the Fleetwood Mac universe, including Ken Caillat and Judy Wong, is expendable.
This is true and Mick has said it. He says the spouses and the significant others have to understand that they will never be inside the circle of five, no matter how close they get to the individual members. Only the five of them know what they have been through and only they understand each other. You can't penetrate it and it's a bond that goes way beyond the-feud-of-the-week.

For all the names we know: Dunstan, Wong, Keith, Ken, Richard, etc. there are 50 or 100 people whose names we don't know who were just as vital to the band's success and well being. Due to the magnitutde of their record sales and the number of people in the band, the people who helped make them who they are are almost countless. They can't have a lasting, personal relationship with each and every one of them.

Even in our own non-mega superstar lives, sometimes to maintain a strong relationship with those we treasure most, we have to let other people go as time passes. It's not that these people are nothing more than hangers on, it's just that they aren't family any longer. They don't live inside the FM world anymore. For some people to be cut off sounds cruel, but we don't know how many people try to contact them on a daily basis, all wanting something.

As for Judy Wong being toothless, that's awful. But then again sometimes there are people who you help out 20 times and the 21st time, you just have to say no. I'm not saying that Judy is one of these people. I'm just saying that Mick can barely keep his own life and finances together after all of this time. If he ended up bankrupt again, I'm not sure any of the Macsters would let him sleep in their basement and I'm not sure I would blame them, given the chances that he has had.

Well, Mick's not going bankrupt, but I'm just saying I'm not surprised he couldn't take better care of Judy. He's still not that good at taking care of himself. We just ought to be glad that Biddy's still protected.

Michele
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This is true and Mick has said it. He says the spouses and the significant others have to understand that they will never be inside the circle of five, no matter how close they get to the individual members. Only the five of them know what they have been through and only they understand each other. You can't penetrate it and it's a bond that goes way beyond the-feud-of-the-week.

For all the names we know: Dunstan, Wong, Keith, Ken, Richard, etc. there are 50 or 100 people whose names we don't know who were just as vital to the band's success and well being. Due to the magnitutde of their record sales and the number of people in the band, the people who helped make them who they are are almost countless. They can't have a lasting, personal relationship with each and every one of them.

Even in our own non-mega superstar lives, sometimes to maintain a strong relationship with those we treasure most, we have to let other people go as time passes. It's not that these people are nothing more than hangers on, it's just that they aren't family any longer. They don't live inside the FM world anymore. For some people to be cut off sounds cruel, but we don't know how many people try to contact them on a daily basis, all wanting something.

As for Judy Wong being toothless, that's awful. But then again sometimes there are people who you help out 20 times and the 21st time, you just have to say no. I'm not saying that Judy is one of these people. I'm just saying that Mick can barely keep his own life and finances together after all of this time. If he ended up bankrupt again, I'm not sure any of the Macsters would let him sleep in their basement and I'm not sure I would blame them, given the chances that he has had.

Well, Mick's not going bankrupt, but I'm just saying I'm not surprised he couldn't take better care of Judy. He's still not that good at taking care of himself. We just ought to be glad that Biddy's still protected.

Michele
Wong, dong, schlong. The whole thing reaks to me.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Wong, dong, schlong. The whole thing reaks to me.
Fame reeks! The music business reeks to high heaven!

Everybody wants a piece!