Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Welcome to the Room... Sara

I've been a huge Mac fan for about 4 years now, and I've never really dove into the TITN album. But now that I have, I'm really diggin WTTRS. I know many of you guys don't think it's a strong track, but with songs she actually wrote for the album, I'm thinking its pretty great (even though she only wrote When I see You Again and Welcome. haha)

But. Yeah, awesome song. Tango in The Night has really become one of my favorite albums right now.

Opinions?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When I think of great songs on TITN, I tend to think of Chris's songs first, which I absolutely love. Lindsey also has good songs and, over the years, I've come to appreciate them more. As for Miss Stevie...I consider her songs on here to be the polar opposite of her Tusk material (which I consider to be some of her finest songs to date). Welcome to the Room...Sara is good lyrically, but her talk-sing vocals really get on my nerves, and her vocals on When I See You Again, ditto (and musically, I never cared for it either).

Maybe it had to do with the fact that she spent about 5 days in the studio or was a bit zonked out from klonopin, but this has never been her strongest FM material. However, I do have to give Seven Wonders credit for 2 things: for being a halfway decent song and, of course, how could I forget, the music vid.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with that. Seven Wonders is great.
& Chris and Lindsey are definately giving some of their strongest material.

But, I feel as though Welcome to the room is better than some of Stevie's solo stuff. It's definately not her worst.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
I agree with that. Seven Wonders is great.
& Chris and Lindsey are definately giving some of their strongest material.

But, I feel as though Welcome to the room is better than some of Stevie's solo stuff. It's definately not her worst.
When it comes down to Stevie's solo work, Wild Heart is definitely my favorite album, but I agree with you that WTTRS is certainly better than some solo stuff like Other Side of the Mirror (ony good song is Rooms on Fire) and Street Angel (only good song is Blue Denim)

You can add me on Facebook
Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not her greatest musical composition, but I think the lyrics are very interesting in a cryptic way. As with any number of other Stevie lyrics, the song appears to be tackling a couple of issues at once. Despite the rather cheerful music and melody, it's one of the most jaded, bitter set of lyrics she has ever written. In "...the first cut is the deepest one... and the second one... it's a worthless thing," she seems to be insinuating that her second stint at rehab was perhaps a waste of time, and that all of these people at Betty Ford fancied themselves as "missionaries" intent on saving her ("...well, you can take all of the credit!"). She knew the road to hell was paved with good intentions. But she also knew she needed to get help ("Of course there was a problem..."), even if she wasn't quite ready to seek help yet, i.e., the notorious intervention. It seems that her management company at the time set her up and forced her to go against her will (Front Line... you held her prisoner...). She felt betrayed ("...well I thought that you were mine."). And just exactly what were those "never forgotten words from another one of your friends" after all? I suspect it went something along the lines of "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

We all knew rehab (from coke) was difficult for her. And we all know that Stevie is grateful that it saved her life. But this song seems to intimate that the road to recovery was fraught with betrayal, bitterness and resentment.

Last edited by HejiraNYC; 11-24-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I read somewhere that there was some sort of Gone with the Wind references in the song?

"Well it's not home, and it's not tara"
and all of the "Scarlett" references
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
It's not her greatest musical composition, but I think the lyrics are very interesting in a cryptic way.
I think the lyrics are very uninteresting in a cryptic way, Hej. They're really awful.

Quote:
As with any number of other Stevie lyrics, the song appears to be tackling a couple of issues at once.
I don't like playing "Identify That Metaphor" with Stevie songs anymore.

Quote:
Despite the rather cheerful music and melody, it's one of the most jaded, bitter set of lyrics she has ever written. In "...the first cut is the deepest one... and the second one... it's a worthless thing," she seems to be insinuating that her second stint at rehab was perhaps a waste of time, and that all of these people at Betty Ford fancied themselves as "missionaries" intent on saving her ("...well, you can take all of the credit!"). She knew the road to hell was paved with good intentions. But she also knew she needed to get help ("Of course there was a problem..."), even if she wasn't quite ready to seek help yet, i.e., the notorious intervention. It seems that her management company at the time set her up and forced her to go against her will (Front Line... you held her prisoner...). She felt betrayed ("...well I thought that you were mine."). And just exactly what were those "never forgotten words from another one of your friends" after all? I suspect it went something along the lines of "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

We all knew rehab (from coke) was difficult for her. And we all know that Stevie is grateful that it saved her life. But this song seems to intimate that the road to recovery was fraught with betrayal, bitterness and resentment.
You guys kill me. You take a bunch of dumb Stevie lyrics & provide a coherent, creative interpretation ... & then ascribe the creativity to Stevie! WTH?!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think the lyrics are very uninteresting in a cryptic way, Hej. They're really awful.

You guys kill me. You take a bunch of dumb Stevie lyrics & provide a coherent, creative interpretation ... & then ascribe the creativity to Stevie! WTH?!
Isn't that what Stevie was trying to do though?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

David, you, of all people... I would have never mistaken for a Philistine! Lots of great literary works come across as "uninteresting in a cryptic way," so therein lies the necessity for writing literary criticism. Greatness understands greatness!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default always liked Welcome to the room :)

I guess after living awhile in this world, I can definitely say the first cut is the deepest one. And there have been many second ones. It's painful, sort of like a baby given up and not being able to see the years go by, and not having any communication, still seeing the years go by and feeling the first cut.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I want to like Welcome to the Room... I like what it's about... I think it just sounds really cheesy for the... subject material?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
And just exactly what were those "never forgotten words from another one of your friends" after all? I suspect it went something along the lines of "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."
i thought it went along the lines of
"when you hang up that phone...you cease to exist"
Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that had to do with when she and Joe Walsh broke up, he said, if you walk out that door you cease to excist. She might have been talking about firing her management.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the real Stevie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 20, 2009

I wrote this poem last February while I was in Chicago editing my PBS soundstage film. For two months I watched the race for the Democratic nomination in his City and decided in my heart that he was the one. I went to bed one night and had this dream about the Kennedy Brothers and Martin Luther King. I sent this poem off to Senator Kennedy when I heard he was ill~ I wanted him to have it. People have asked me “what is this dream about~?” My answer has always been “something about Barack Obama made me feel the hope and love I felt from the Kennedy’s and from Dr. King. My subconscious mind created this amazing dream. The dream hands the torch to Mr. Obama.
“Do not forget what we were fighting for!”
I believe he will not forget.
And so, as a poet and a writer of songs~ I dedicate this poem that was inspired by him~
to him~
Our brave new
President…

John and Bobby and Martin
Would be so proud~

With Love,
Stevie Nicks

The Kennedy’s

I had a fragile dream
In a great house in the Hamptons
I’d been there before
Singing songs ~ doing benefits
I was in a room alone
Putting on my make-up
Like so many things have come to me,
The dress ~ came across the Persian carpet~
As I fell into the dress
A thought came to me
Into my heart~
“I have a dream”
And a door opened~
It’s time now~ they’re waiting
I turned around to face the music (the dreamers)
“I’m ready for the Kennedy’s~”

I don’t know if it was 1960 or 1963
Everything was timeless ~ even me
I wasn’t old~ I wasn’t young~
I was just ~ part of the dream.
A shadow walked with me ~ down the hall
It was Martin Luther King~
All in shadow ~ all before me
Overwhelmed by destiny
Someone said, “sing us a song”
“There’s the piano..
And handed me a drink~
The room was full of hope~
A song would set them free…

I sat at the piano
I stared at the shadows
I sang the words “I have a dream”
He wasn’t my old friend John ~ I didn’t know him…then
But he smiled at me
And I sang these words
“What ever it takes to be free”
I didn’t know these men~
But they knew me~

It was all symbolic,
Nothing was as it seemed.
They all left us in a single shot~
But they didn’t take the dream.
They were there in that house,
Discussing the future~
Drinking champagne.
I was just the piano player~
The voice ~ part of their dream.
I was 35 ~ or maybe I was 15~
It was just a night in the presence
Of Martin Luther King~
I was just a dreamer;
I was ready for the Kennedys…

I got up from the piano
I bowed my head
As I walked thru the room
They touched my hands
Write about hope and a change of plan~
Light up the world if you can~

Light the fire ~ start it over
Tell the world about the dream
Change the world ~ begin again
Start it up ~ make it real~
Back in the room where it all began
My heart began to hurt~

I remember the beauty of the Hamptons
The shadows playing in the sun
And a voice said “The dream is not over~”
“The dream has just begun~”
I spun around to another shadow
Slipping through the door~
My eyes opened ~ wide …
What is all this for?
The shadows said ~ “Don’t forget ~”
“What we were fighting for…”

Stevie Nicks
Thursday night Feb. 2008
Sugar Grove, IL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nicks Fix main page

Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I oddly really like Stevie's vocal performance on this song, especially at the end. Also, I like how Lindsey's voice is used in this song a lot. It's not the best song in the world, but I've always been a fan of Stevie's Tango work. I just find it enjoyable to listen to even if not her strongest work.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
petep9000
This message has been deleted by petep9000.