Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM could completely own Tusk in 2014

And yet the album they would probably most want complete ownership of, Rumours, is the one they would have to wait longest for! 2033! Oh irony.

Read this article. Pretty interesting.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Perhaps this explains the Rumours re-release hold up

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
And yet the album they would probably most want complete ownership of, Rumours, is the one they would have to wait longest for! 2033! Oh irony.

Read this article. Pretty interesting.
But it says remasters are considered "new matter" so while Fleetwood Mac might own Tusk after the 35 year mark, the mono version, if they choose, the record companies digitally remastered edition has a 35 year extension put on it from release...

Doesn't make sense what they are saying about The Eagles... Most of their albums were in the early 70's and therefore fall under the 56 year rule... Wasn't their last band album in 79? meaning that's really the only one that's eligible in the next few years for them to get back the original on?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
But it says remasters are considered "new matter" so while Fleetwood Mac might own Tusk after the 35 year mark, the mono version, if they choose, the record companies digitally remastered edition has a 35 year extension put on it from release...

Doesn't make sense what they are saying about The Eagles... Most of their albums were in the early 70's and therefore fall under the 56 year rule... Wasn't their last band album in 79? meaning that's really the only one that's eligible in the next few years for them to get back the original on?
Last Eagles studio album was 2008s, Long Road Out of Eden. Good stuff.
Into the ocean at night
It's like living on a working river
The coastline is glittering
Like a diamond snake
In a black sky
Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenageMac View Post
Last Eagles studio album was 2008s, Long Road Out of Eden. Good stuff.
Sorry, I was talking about last band album released under a record co. contract that they could own themselves within a few years...Aside from their most current album which they already own as they released it themselves without a label.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

So - question is - that when Ken Calliat (sp?) remastered Rumours for the DVD 5.1 several years ago - would that have altered the ownership timeline? And when they did The Chain box set - didn't they remaster a bunch of stuff for that? I thought I remembered some sort of interview where Mick and Lindsey talked about remastering a whole bunch of stuff for that. Would that change the dates of ownership? Is remastering the analog stuff change the litigation since they didn't have digital then? Cuz with the mono stuff - they've been doing stereo for over 40 years.

Then on the flip side - Not sure how it all works but I also remember in the Destiny Rules doc - Lindsey was using the fact that he owned the masters for his songs on Say You Will for some sort of leverage when he was trying to talk Mick into whatever he was trying to talk Mick into doing.... but then they stayed with WEA cuz WEA owned their catalog.....
I'm so confused

And one more question - even though Lindsey and Stevie own the masters to the Buckingham Nicks album, could something with this issue be one of the reasons why they haven't gotten around to releasing it on CD?

Questions - gots me some questions!!

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 11-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

I really don't think when it comes down to it, that the we-still-own-your-music-because-it-was-remastered will actually work when artists start to excercise their termination right. I think if anything, those remasters will be seen as a derivative work and even that I don't think will hold up in court if it becomes a battle because a good lawyer could argue that there is not enough new and original contributions to the old recordings to warrant a copyright for just that. (A derivative work does not extend the copyright of the original work and has it's own copyright.) And just going analog to digital doesn't change anything in regards to copyright.

I think the Rumours re-release has a lot of things going against: market climate, restructuring going on at Warner Music, the fact they released a remaster five years ago.

And I think that's a lot of what is holding up Buckingham Nicks too. And then you have the Stevie and Lindsey factor. First, you have to get both Stevie and Lindsey to agree that the time is right to release it and what terms they are looking for out of releasing it. Second, you have to find a label willing to release it under something close to those terms.

Twitter me

Last edited by snicksfan85; 11-21-2009 at 12:24 PM..