Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Belinda Carlisle: Lips Unsealed Biography

Did anyone else on The Ledge read this book? I just finished this book. I liked it but I still feel as if she didn't tell everything. Seems like it's missing some details. Maybe that she never shared enough of the happy times. The book sorta made me sad.

Two struggles dominate this book and her life: drug addiction and weight loss. Melinda was a a drug addict and she only quit doing cocaine in 2005, which I was amazed by. Ann Wilson quit cocaine in the 90s and Stevie quit in 1986. I often wonder if Joan Jett ever quit. Stevie gets all the grief from the press for being a drug addict, but she learned her lesson before these women.

I did find out that something I suspected was true. She never took her career that seriously until now. She seemed to be surprised by all her success. I think if she would of gotten off the drugs and got her **** together sooner, she would of had even more success.

Belinda seems to be a very nice woman. She loves her husband and her son. I don't know, I just wish she would of shared more of motherhood in her book. Belinda's son is gay and he is very political and she is right in his corner.

Here are some videos of Belinda with her son. They obviously have a great relationship.

Last edited by Jondalar; 07-11-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Belinda is to be admired for supporting her son, James Duke Mason, and speaking out in support of PFLAG and other organizations that promote equality.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Belinda Carlisle did a French album, not many people know about but it's probably the best thing she's done. Listen to her great vocal on this masterpiece. Love it. It's devastating.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Registered

I love that album
Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You misspelled "unsealed".

- The Grammar Police
Old 07-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
You misspelled "unsealed".

- The Grammar Police
I was drunk Mr. Perfect.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I read this as soon as it came out. I'm a big fan of Belinda, both solo and with the Go-Go's. I kind of agree that the book didn't tell me too much more than I already knew but I was surprised to know that her cocaine addiction was so bad later in her career. I thought she was clean after the early 90s. The story about the horribly judgemental Doctor when she was pregnant is terrible. I'd heard it before and apparently it's completely true.

My favourite album is Real (1993). It's so under-rated. it takes a few listens but it's a mature 90s pop/rock album and by far some of her strongest solo work. It got some very positive critical reviews but wasn't a big commercial hit. The next album, A Woman And A Man, was pretty big in Europe and is a nice adult pop record but didn't do well in the US. As I said, the new information for me was how much of a mess she was at that time - which she freely admits. I would have really like to read a lot more about the recording and release of both of these albums. What exactly went on etc.

I saw Belinda live here in Wellington just last December and she was fantastic. She was in great voice and crowd were so into it - singing along with every single word. She did a couple of deep album cuts too, including a lovely acoustic version of Valentine from the Runaway Horses album.

Here's one of my favourites - Lay Down Your Arms, from Real. Great video too!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I was drunk Mr. Perfect.
I'm just being snarky & giving you sh*t!

I too am a huge Belinda fan. This was a great book. My favorite song of hers was a cut from the 1992 film, "The Harvest" titled "One By One".
Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It really bothers me that iTunes doesn't have three of her albums. I guess they never went Gold. I cannot get these songs digitally. I tried to download a great song called California and iTunes doesn't even have it. iTunes doesn't even have Lay Down Your Arms. Ridiculous.

She is beautiful. She looks just like Ann Margaret in this video.

Last edited by Jondalar; 07-12-2014 at 09:44 PM..
Old 07-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

California is on A Woman And A Man. Luckily I have the album on CD and ripped them to my ipod. Like I said, it's a shame that this album, and Real, never got the success they deserved.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I honestly just thought "Unseeled" was some clever artistic phrasing choice that was over my head. I'm a little disappointed now.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want to read this! The Go-Gos had me from their first vinyl but then lost me with Vacation but got me back again with a lot of great original songs... I wish they hadn't fractured into so many solo projects right then.

The last rock book I've read was the Gary Valentine one about early Blondie, the NY and LA scenes and the skinny tie/Bomp residue after that. I liked it. Like Buckingham he's a very quirky songwriter.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I want to read this! The Go-Gos had me from their first vinyl but then lost me with Vacation but got me back again with a lot of great original songs... I wish they hadn't fractured into so many solo projects right then.

The last rock book I've read was the Gary Valentine one about early Blondie, the NY and LA scenes and the skinny tie/Bomp residue after that. I liked it. Like Buckingham he's a very quirky songwriter.
You know the Go-Gos fired a band member, the bass player. She sued and the case was settled out of court.

These women are nearing 60 years old and they still bicker with each other.