User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
That's so wierd that you asked this......I was also getting ready to ask where these photos are from. They're not from the "Dragonfly" video, as Bob Welch is in that one. But the photo you posted and others from that same session are surely from some TV appearance - but which one? And why don't we have the video from it?

And while we're at it, what appearance are the attached photos from? And why don't we have the video from that one??
these photos make me think of Jesus Christ Superstar
Old 02-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I do have film of Like Crying / Linda / Oh Well Pt 1 all in a row with no breaks. Really annoyingly I can't find my video of "The Early Years" but wasn't the "Oh Well" that's on there from a different show? If so, doesn't anyone else have this version of "Oh Well" ? Forgive me if I'm just being a bit slow
Really? All in a row (LC/L/OW)? Maybe that OW IS from the LC/L show then? Where'd you get it?

Yeah, the OW on the EY DVD is from a different show for sure (& it's lip synched from the Tea Party version to boot, though I'm sure back then people probably thought it was done live since that audio hadn't surfaced yet at that point).

John
Old 02-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is the only thing that makes any sense to me - they did record Dragonfly on 5 January 1971 for the BBC, along with a few other songs, for broadcast on the radio. But maybe it was filmed as well? Interestingly, when it came to the radio broadcast on 23 January, Dragonfly was not included and didn't get broadcast till late 27 March - so that might suggest that since it was meant to be a single, it was treated differently, filmed and set aside as a promo video
This is interesting. I posted three songs from a BBC bootleg that I have in the Chris forum a while back...."Dragonfly", "Get Like You Used To Be" & a very early version of "Morning Rain". Maybe those songs are from this specific recording session? There are also some different songs on the Madison Blues box set which I believe are also from the BBC. Are these from the same sessions? Do you know how many times the live Kiln House band(with Christine) recorded on the BBC?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Really? All in a row (LC/L/OW)? Maybe that OW IS from the LC/L show then? Where'd you get it?

Yeah, the OW on the EY DVD is from a different show for sure (& it's lip synched from the Tea Party version to boot, though I'm sure back then people probably thought it was done live since that audio hadn't surfaced yet at that point).

John
Yeah, all in a row. After "Linda", Danny straps his guitar back on and Peter says, "We're now gonna do our latest single called... Oh Well" and they go straight into it. Jeremy keeps his guitar on but he only plays maracas. It's a great version as well. At the end it cuts back to Alan Price but I haven't got what he says. I got it on a DVD of lots of stuff from a guy in Canada.

The other stuff on there I was a little bit surprised to see was "Rattlesnake Shake" after the impromptu rendition of "World Keep On Turning" that Peter does at the gig where Danny breaks a string during "Like It This Way" - a gorgeous Finnish/Swedish announcer before the mimed versions of "My Heart Beat Like A Hammer" and "Shake Your Moneymaker" - "Coming Your Way" over the credits of the Playboy After Dark TV show - and a French show featuring "Homework", "My Baby's Sweeter" and an odd version of "Dust My Broom" with different lyrics, that's from about October '68 I think. This stuff was new to me but I don't know if any of it is "rare".

Now I remember the "Oh Well" from the Early Years video - wasn't there an interview with Peter and an American guy waving around a copy of Then Play On? They talked about the Archies... I've also got "Rattlesnake Shake" before that interview and that's lip-synched.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, all in a row. After "Linda", Danny straps his guitar back on and Peter says, "We're now gonna do our latest single called... Oh Well" and they go straight into it. Jeremy keeps his guitar on but he only plays maracas. It's a great version as well. At the end it cuts back to Alan Price but I haven't got what he says. I got it on a DVD of lots of stuff from a guy in Canada.

The other stuff on there I was a little bit surprised to see was "Rattlesnake Shake" after the impromptu rendition of "World Keep On Turning" that Peter does at the gig where Danny breaks a string during "Like It This Way" - a gorgeous Finnish/Swedish announcer before the mimed versions of "My Heart Beat Like A Hammer" and "Shake Your Moneymaker" - "Coming Your Way" over the credits of the Playboy After Dark TV show - and a French show featuring "Homework", "My Baby's Sweeter" and an odd version of "Dust My Broom" with different lyrics, that's from about October '68 I think. This stuff was new to me but I don't know if any of it is "rare".

Now I remember the "Oh Well" from the Early Years video - wasn't there an interview with Peter and an American guy waving around a copy of Then Play On? They talked about the Archies... I've also got "Rattlesnake Shake" before that interview and that's lip-synched.
Wow - this is great info, bretonbanquet! The last segment you mention (with the interview) is from the "Detroit Tube Works" show. I've seen a DVD for sale that included these tracks but I'd never seen what the second song they did was (in addition to "Oh Well").

And that French TV show is the "Surprise Party" show from 31 December '68 - I'd never know the video for this still existed! I have the audio, and as I recall it's a great performance of "Homework" in particular.

Ken
Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
This is interesting. I posted three songs from a BBC bootleg that I have in the Chris forum a while back...."Dragonfly", "Get Like You Used To Be" & a very early version of "Morning Rain". Maybe those songs are from this specific recording session? There are also some different songs on the Madison Blues box set which I believe are also from the BBC. Are these from the same sessions? Do you know how many times the live Kiln House band(with Christine) recorded on the BBC?
Yes I remember that, but I wasn't able to hear them because I had a rubbish computer at the time The 5th January '71 BBC session was

Start Again
Teenage Darling
Preachin' (which ended up on the Live at the BBC set)
Get Like You Used To Be
Dragonfly

The Madison Blues songs I think did come from BBC sessions. I have a list of BBC sessions - none of which I own btw - they are:

July 7 1970 - Buddy's Song / When Will I Be Loved / Jenny Lee / When I See My Baby / Honey Hush - all of which were on "Live at the BBC" - pretty sure Chris wasn't there.

November 10 1970 - Sandy Mary / Crazy About You Baby / Down At The Crown / Turn Me Loose / Tell Me All the Things You Do - God knows who sang Sandy Mary, and I'm not familiar with Turn Me Loose - is it one of Christine's?

November 24 1970 - Down At The Crown / Purple Dancer / Station Man - these might well be on "Madison Blues"

Then there's the January 5 session, and the next one I have on my list is July 1, where they do three songs off Future Games - Woman of 1000 Years, Show Me A Smile and Future Games.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
November 10 1970 - Sandy Mary / Crazy About You Baby / Down At The Crown / Turn Me Loose / Tell Me All the Things You Do - God knows who sang Sandy Mary, and I'm not familiar with Turn Me Loose - is it one of Christine's?
Pretty sure that this is the version of "Sandy Mary" that the band had performed for the BBC in April '70 with Peter.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow - this is great info, bretonbanquet! The last segment you mention (with the interview) is from the "Detroit Tube Works" show. I've seen a DVD for sale that included these tracks but I'd never seen what the second song they did was (in addition to "Oh Well").

And that French TV show is the "Surprise Party" show from 31 December '68 - I'd never know the video for this still existed! I have the audio, and as I recall it's a great performance of "Homework" in particular.

Ken
Cool! The French TV show isn't fantastic quality, but believe it or not, it's in colour... There are a large number of groovy French 60s beautiful people dancing around, a bit like the Playboy After Dark show. "Homework" is particularly good as you say, and it's a bit odd to then see the audience trying to dance to Jeremy's Elmore James tunes, while Peter stands way to the back. Danny looks about 12 years old (which is why I thought it was earlier) and he's practically standing in the audience. It's interesting stuff! When I get my life / collection / computer skills sorted out, I can do copies for anyone who wants one.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Pretty sure that this is the version of "Sandy Mary" that the band had performed for the BBC in April '70 with Peter.
Yeah it does seem really odd that they'd do "Sandy Mary" without Peter. The 27th April version is the one that is on Live at the BBC, I think. Like you I am pretty dubious about the November version, but if it ever shows up it'll be very interesting. In any case, a version of Sandy Mary was broadcast on 14 December 1970 on the "Radio 1 Club" show along with those other songs I listed as recorded on Nov 10.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"...an odd version of "Dust My Broom" with different lyrics..."

The song that Spencer is doing is called "Please Find My Baby". This was just one more of the many variations of Robert Johnson's "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" that Elmore James recorded over the years.

"...that's from about October '68"

I believe that you are correct as to the recording date for the television show - it probably was done either in October or at the beginning or end of Novemeber. Most discographies list the show as being from December 31st 1968, but as the band were in Chicago that night, in the middle of a U.S. tour, it would seem more likely that they filmed their appearance before or after their Scandinavian tour in the middle of November.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 02-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
"...an odd version of "Dust My Broom" with different lyrics..."

The song that Spencer is doing is called "Please Find My Baby". This was just one more of the many variations of Robert Johnson's "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" that Elmore James recorded over the years.

I believe that you are correct as to the recording date for the television show - it probably was done either in October or at the beginning or end of Novemeber. Most discographies list the show as being from December 31st 1968, but as the band were in Chicago that night, in the middle of a U.S. tour, it would seem more likely that they filmed their appearance before or after their Scandinavian tour in the middle of November.
That solves that then! I think it's great that people on here are so knowledgable. I'd never heard of "Please Find My Baby" before now. It's a good performance though I think, Jeremy is on good form and it's an interesting piece of film with the audience really getting into it. Were they the only three songs from that night, or were there others?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's right......I should have remembered this as I know you've pointed it out before. Maybe it was recorded in October and broadcast on 31 December?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Much as I am a "Green fan" all the way, I have to agree that this was the highlight of three song set.
Spencer’s faithfulness in reproducing the Elmore James original really pays off. The minor variations in key and chording were all in the James and they lift the number above many of the other songs that he had built off of the “Dust My Broom” riff.
The band too seems more engaged here, there is a snap to the rhythm playing conspicuously absent in the “Mr. Wonderful” recordings and Spencer hungrily taps into their newfound energy.

I would "guess" that the show was broadcast on December 31st and that is where the date comes from.
I too wonder why there is so little film available of the band - after seeing the Scorcese documentary on Bob Dylan late last year, you realize how much material really is out there - problem is, it is a massive undertaking to research where all of that footage is now - and then of course, someone has to assembly it all into a presentable format.
I would be happy to volunteer for the task, (if only someone were willing to pay me )

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 02-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would be happy to volunteer for the task, (if only someone were willing to pay me )
He he. Still, there would seem to be a market for this stuff (and whatever else is out there) to be collated together on to one source.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd cheerfully do it for nothing