The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

soul Drifter- even in the heyday years, which she got a wide pass on her weaknesses, despite some of the brutally honest reviews, she would say stuff in interviews that I even went "huh?" for instance, after Tusk was released she lamented that she would have huge disappointment in "everyone" if the album didn't sell. Oh $tevie!!!
Old 01-09-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
soul Drifter- even in the heyday years, which she got a wide pass on her weaknesses, despite some of the brutally honest reviews, she would say stuff in interviews that I even went "huh?" for instance, after Tusk was released she lamented that she would have huge disappointment in "everyone" if the album didn't sell. Oh $tevie!!!
Sounds like something she would say.

Welcome Everyone!!
Old 01-10-2021, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don’t think more albums and tours would have had any commercial effect on Lindsey’s achievement. He could have put two albums out for every one of Stevie’s and still not have built an audience to rival hers. He simply does not have the mass appeal that she does. He functions best on every level as a personal, idiosyncratic musical voice with quirky aural references to pop, doo wop, jazz, roots, garage, alternative, Tin Pan Alley, and all sorts of styles that allow him to multitrack inventively and core into solitary, self-referential emotional states — none of which exactly makes for across-the-board appeal or casual listening. He has more in common with David Lynch and Eraserhead than just the hair.

The Macsters used to talk about how weird it was that they were all in the same band. Well, Lindsey is the weirdest of all: an abstruse contemporary artist in a workaday touring band with mega sales. That the blend created some great albums and exciting shows is really a miracle.
Lindsey really is an oddball. Ironically, that sensibility lifts the "workaday" setting, infuses the music with a quirky, eccentric character that distinguishes it from countless other bands. FM has always relied on their lead guitarists to shape their sound. In 1972, for example, it was Kirwan whose ache and sting made good music great (a paraphrase of Bud Scoppa's Rolling Stone review).

The core trio--Fleetwood and the McVies--belong together naturally. A once-married stolid duo and their crazy-eyed buddy. Together, they have created a sturdy, dependable musical bed for their axe men.

Stevie is just as out-of-place among the core trio as Buckingham. And I would argue more so. Listen to how comfortable and logical he sounds with Fleetwood and the McVies on Buckingham /McVie. The relationship he has with the rhythm section, and the fruitful creative partnership he has with Christine are very real and believable. By contrast, all of Stevie's songs from 1975 onward, perhaps with the exception of "Dreams" and "Gypsy," no matter how good the material and the performances, sound inserted. Granted, I love her contributions, but they are weirder alongside Christine and Lindsey's material than either of theirs with each other.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Lindsey really is an oddball. Ironically, that sensibility lifts the "workaday" setting, infuses the music with a quirky, eccentric character that distinguishes it from countless other bands. FM has always relied on their lead guitarists to shape their sound. In 1972, for example, it was Kirwan whose ache and sting made good music great (a paraphrase of Bud Scoppa's Rolling Stone review).

The core trio--Fleetwood and the McVies--belong together naturally. A once-married stolid duo and their crazy-eyed buddy. Together, they have created a sturdy, dependable musical bed for their axe men.

Stevie is just as out-of-place among the core trio as Buckingham. And I would argue more so. Listen to how comfortable and logical he sounds with Fleetwood and the McVies on Buckingham /McVie. The relationship he has with the rhythm section, and the fruitful creative partnership he has with Christine are very real and believable. By contrast, all of Stevie's songs from 1975 onward, perhaps with the exception of "Dreams" and "Gypsy," no matter how good the material and the performances, sound inserted. Granted, I love her contributions, but they are weirder alongside Christine and Lindsey's material than either of theirs with each other.
I mean, look at Law And Order. OBVIOUSLY, he NEVER wanted $tevie's popularity. At least back then he didn't(until OOTC - but it was too late, then?). He didn't have the mass appeal that the old goat does(neither did Christine). Whatevs.

It's really weird that $tevie made it to the top like $he did, because I firmly believe that $he's an idiot. But $he had the charisma, and that in itself, took root and ran it's very successful course. Good for her.

I will put a $5 bill in the mail to you right now, if you never use the term "axe man" again. I hate it when reporters describe guitar players as AXE MEN. Gimme your addy, and that $5 is on it's way!

The ultimate FM for ~we real FLEETWOOD MAC fans~ would have been just Lindsey and Christine in 1975. They wouldn't have skyrocketed, but it would have been a great, solid band.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The ultimate FM for ~we real FLEETWOOD MAC fans~ would have been just Lindsey and Christine in 1975. They wouldn't have skyrocketed, but it would have been a great, solid band.
I can’t imagine Fleetwood Mac without any of the 5 people who performed on FM or Rumours. I don’t believe those albums would have been hits without all of them, but specifically the trio of McVie, Buckingham, and Nicks. If even one of those 3 had been missing, those albums wouldn’t have been successful. I don’t normally believe in serendipity, but in FM’s case, I believe their success was contingent upon all 3 of those singer/songwriters. FM before Buckingham/Nicks joined was getting by, and Buckingham/Nicks had just been dropped by their label. Together, in that moment and time, they created music that will be remembered forever. But without even one of them, the dynamic changes too much. That’s not to say they can’t make good music as a duo (Say You Will and Buck/Vie), just that they aren’t as incredible as the albums where all 3 appear.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I will put a $5 bill in the mail to you right now, if you never use the term "axe man" again. I hate it when reporters describe guitar players as AXE MEN. Gimme your addy, and that $5 is on it's way!
Christina, hand me the axe!
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Christina, hand me the axe!
No $5 for you!!!!

Old 01-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Fleetwood Mac had added Lindsey as their axe man on his own back in 1975 they would have been a good band. Not as successful as we know them now, but he would have surely lifted them above what Bob could ever have offered. No disrespect to Bob, but he was limited (his limit was great). But Lindsey wielding that axe in his place (sans Stevie) would always have been a notch or two up on what they had before.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-10-2021, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean, look at Law And Order. OBVIOUSLY, he NEVER wanted $tevie's popularity. At least back then he didn't(until OOTC - but it was too late, then?).
By 1993, Lindsey was such a non-entity that they played “Don’t Stop” when announcing “With special guest Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac” on the radio ads for the Tina Turner concert.

Quote:
He didn't have the mass appeal that the old goat does(neither did Christine). Whatevs.
Christine didn’t need it, though, since she did just fine within the context of Fleetwood Mac. And then, she retired. Between their Mac and solo careers, Christine and Stevie have a surprisingly similar number of hit singles.

It‘s really as simple as out of sight, out of mind. By not cultivating a solo career, regardless of its commercial appeal, by going eleven years without touring, and having an eleven year gap between studio albums, Lindsey let his career become completely dependent on Stevie and Fleetwood Mac.

Dave Mason, for example, never had a Top 20 album or a Top 10 hit, but he kept touring and was still a major touring act in the 1970s.

Quote:
It's really weird that $tevie made it to the top like $he did, because I firmly believe that $he's an idiot.
She had the drive and came up with a strategy early on about how to achieve her goals. Can anyone blame her for not wanting to be at the mercy of that lot? That had to be intimidating for her, not being competent on a musical instrument and completely reliant on someone with whom she had an acrimonious relationship. I genuinely believe she did “Bella Donna” because she had more songs and needed another outlet to release them, but then it took on a life of its own. She could call the shots. No compromise, no drama, and no sharing album space (more royalties).

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 01-10-2021 at 02:07 PM..
Old 01-10-2021, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
By 1993, Lindsey was such a non-entity that they played “Don’t Stop” when announcing “With special guest Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac” on the radio ads for the Tina Turner concert.
They used Don't Stop and Go Your Own Way in commercials for Stevie concerts in Australia. At least Lindsey shares lead vocals with Christine on Don't Stop.
Also from 2005-2007, there were Ticketmaster events that were named "Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac"

It's not a contest. Stevie's bigger and internationally known, but not internationally known like Madonna, Tina, or Dolly.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 01-10-2021 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
They used Don't Stop and Go Your Own Way in commercials for Stevie concerts in Australia. At least Lindsey shares lead vocals with Christine on Don't Stop.
Also from 2005-2007, there were Ticketmaster events that were named "Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac"
Yeah, but this was in the United States, their primary market.

Quote:
It's not a contest. Stevie's bigger and internationally known, but not internationally known like Madonna, Tina, or Dolly.
And their contributions to Fleetwood Mac were quite legendary.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-10-2021, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, but this was in the United States, their primary market.
Stevie's said Australia is her best market. She said she can tour their whenever she wants, even without new product.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

She had the drive and came up with a strategy early on about how to achieve her goals. Can anyone blame her for not wanting to be at the mercy of that lot? That had to be intimidating for her, not being competent on a musical instrument and completely reliant on someone with whom she had an acrimonious relationship. I genuinely believe she did “Bella Donna” because she had more songs and needed another outlet to release them, but then it took on a life of its own. She could call the shots. No compromise, no drama, and no sharing album space (more royalties).
Bella Donna is a masterpiece. $he should have left her trailer hooked to Jimmy Iovine's bumper. Can you imagine if $he'd turned out a couple more albums that were as good(or even close) as BD?

But $he had to sleep with everyone musical that $he's ever met, so I guess that wasn't possible.

If $he hates compromise so much, $he should have left FM and never returned.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bella Donna is a masterpiece. $he should have left her trailer hooked to Jimmy Iovine's bumper. Can you imagine if $he'd turned out a couple more albums that were as good(or even close) as BD?
The Wild Heart comes close, but I agree.

Quote:
But $he had to sleep with everyone musical that $he's ever met, so I guess that wasn't possible.
Eh, that’s not the problem in and of itself. Grace Slick seemed to do fine with the Jeffersons. Stevie’s problem was cocaine and surrounding herself with yes people.

Quote:
If $he hates compromise so much, $he should have left FM and never returned.
I think she absolutely should have left after BD outsold Fleetwood Mac. Christine was still the primary hit singles writer. The band could have easily survived Stevie leaving anytime prior to 1987. After Lindsey quit, that was a different story.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-10-2021, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Stevie's said Australia is her best market. She said she can tour their whenever she wants, even without new product.
I didn’t say “best,” I said “primary.”

THE Stephen Hopkins