Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
"She does still hear him
All night long
The same song over and over
It heals her heart
No voice of a stranger
Could play that part
It broke her heart"

Oh, they both talk about a price on a quite regular basis, really. And obviously, saving, which is also in Starshine.

And the price that we paid for a love we couldn’t hold (Say Goodbye)

Everyone pays a price for these dreams (Say We’ll Meet Again)

And every life has its price (Shut Us Down)

Sometimes the price is a little too much (Down On Rodeo)

Someone’s going to have to pay the price (Wait For You)

What price glory (How Still My Love)

But I paid a price for it… (Doing The Best I Can)

We’re already paying the price (Secret Love)

No matter what the price, I knew I’d found the prize (Impossible Task)

If it is ALL about Tom, if he is giving her advice about giving him (Tom) up? Yeah, it doesn't quite work for me. And if it's the case, her narrative structure seriously is WAY worse than I thought it was. One verse she's talking about a man's voice following her down and the very next verse is about 'another famous friend' giving her advice about having to give someone up who she's hearing on the radio, etc. The 'another' would strongly suggest the person giving advice and the person about whom the advice is about are different. *shrugs*
See I hear that as another famous friend telling her she needs to give Tom up. Love ends. Get over it.

And Tom elsewhere is telling her he's over it, she needs to get over it.

I don;t think every time she says "paying a price" it's about Lindsey. I don't think Starshine is about him. I don't think Secret Love is about him. And the price she paid in Doing the Best That I Can… well that whole song has always seemed about drugs to me and the price she paid for doing them.

As for Tom's wife, (I think someone else brought that up) he divorced her. He's onto a new wife these days.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
See I hear that as another famous friend telling her she needs to give Tom up. Love ends. Get over it.

And Tom elsewhere is telling her he's over it, she needs to get over it.

I don;t think every time she says "paying a price" it's about Lindsey. I don't think Starshine is about him. I don't think Secret Love is about him. And the price she paid in Doing the Best That I Can… well that whole song has always seemed about drugs to me and the price she paid for doing them.

As for Tom's wife, (I think someone else brought that up) he divorced her. He's onto a new wife these days.
Yes, I can see that view. I just really don't think her relationship with Tom was ever a romantic one, to be honest, and the relationship she has to give up seems to be of that nature. Was she, in 1995, still in actual pain, unable to let go of, trying but unable to get away from Tom and her love for him? I don't know. It doesn't quite gel with how I view them. I mean, I easily could be wrong. Voting for an amalgam song here, lol.

Oh, I don't either! Just listing some examples of the 'price' repetition. I think Lindsey uses it more in that context than she does. I DO think Starshine is about him but I don't think Secret Love is.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 10-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I can see that view. I just really don't think her relationship with Tom was ever a romantic one, to be honest, and the relationship she has to give up seems to be of that nature. Was she, in 1995, still in actual pain, unable to let go of, trying but unable to get away from Tom and her love for him? I don't know. It doesn't quite gel with how I view them. I mean, I easily could be wrong. Voting for an amalgam song here, lol.

Oh, I don't either! Just listing some examples of the 'price' repetition. I think Lindsey uses it more in that context than she does. I DO think Starshine is about him but I don't think Secret Love is.
just highlights part of the allure of her lyrics…. she leaves them (intentionally or not, I tend to think not) ambiguous enough that you can't really be sure what the heck they mean and that leads to endless hours of fun trying to decipher them.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Secret Love is confirmed as not being about him, but I think Secret Love and Starshine are about the same person and no I don't think every song with the word "price" in it is about that relationship. I just think that Secret Love and Starshine go together.

Michele
Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, who's the other famous friend?

Michele
Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I don't think Tom had an affair with Stevie . I think he loves his wife and has high morals. I think she is like a sister to him. They are a little alike -- they fight hard for themselves. I don't think he probably met a woman quite like her. He said she is the only person who ever fought her way into his life.
I don't think Tom was faithful to Jane. I think he was with other people, Stevie just being one of them.

Michele
Old 10-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If it is ALL about Tom, if he is giving her advice about giving him (Tom) up?
I don't think every price song is about Tom Petty.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now, of course The Star is a tabloid full of lies (used to get me pretty excited as a kid to read all of the times that Sonny and Cher were supposedly going to remarry, before I learned that The Star had little truth in it!), but I think this article is funny from October 1996.

Singer Stevie Nicks has shed a massive 60 pounds and landed rocker Tom Petty --- for the second time.

Petty --- who's riding high on the charts again with his new album She's the One, the sound track from the hit movie --- filed for divorce on September 9 from wife of 21 years, Linda, citing irreconcilable differences.

Now he's back with Fleetwood Mac's Stevie --- and they're finding love is definitely better the second time around. The pair were first linked in the early '80s, shortly after Nicks divorced her second husband.

Now, Petty has been separated from his wife Linda since January and, according to friends, he and Stevie have been burning up the phone lines ever since and getting together whenever they can. "Stevie and Tom collaborated on several of her solo albums and that's how they became so close," says a source.

Now, more than 10 years on, Nicks has slimmed down and sobered up and the rock couple is making beautiful music together. "Stevie has lost a lot of weight and she looks really terrific," says a source. "She's feeling good about herself and it shows."

According to sources close to the couple, one of the reasons Nicks and Petty have rekindled their love is their similar life experiences. "Both Tom and Stevie have been in the music business forever so they know the perils of being on the road constantly," says a source. And Nicks and Petty have something else in common as well --- they've both kicked longtime addictions.

"Stevie had been in rehab for alcohol and cocaine addiction and Tom kicked his booze habit in 1987 for good."

The rocking duo recently went public with their relationship at a Hollywood bash close pal Ringo Starr threw for his wife Barbara Bach's birthday.

Phoenix-born Nicks has even put her Paradise Valley, Ariz., home up for sale and decided to settle in a spacious Los Angeles mansion where she can be closer to her rocker lover.

Petty's marital split and his romantic reunion with blonde-haired beauty Nicks comes as no surprise to those who know the couple. "Tom and his wife Jane had a really tough go of it. They've separated a couple of times over the years but they always got it back together. I guess that things just couldn't be repaired this time." Petty himself is brutally honest when he talks about the state of his 21-year marriage (the couple have two daughters, Adria, 21, and 14-year-old Anna).

"We have taken some shrapnel," he said. "We do walk with a slight limp."
Old 10-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So, who's the other famous friend?

Michele

I dunno, I was wondering that myself. Reminds me of her line in Two Kinds of Love "well I talked to my famous friend last night". She has so many……

But, who would know about her hang up over Tom and tell her to give it up already? Well, partly depends on how you define "famous". Famous as in famous musicians? Mike Campbell? Benmont Tench?

If "famous" means like headliners, dunno.. who are her headliner superstar friends… Don? Bob Dylan? Rod Stewart? Joe? Anyone else in the Eagles? Sheryl Crow?

Other famous female friends…. Courtney Love? Bonnie Raitt? Tai Babilonia?

Does she know other famous people? Politicians? Actors? Nobel laureats??

Dunno. None of those really seem to fit, to me. Maybe Don??

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 10-04-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Old 10-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Now, of course The Star is a tabloid full of lies (used to get me pretty excited as a kid to read all of the times that Sonny and Cher were supposedly going to remarry, before I learned that The Star had little truth in it!), but I think this article is funny from October 1996.

Singer Stevie Nicks has shed a massive 60 pounds and landed rocker Tom Petty --- for the second time.

Petty --- who's riding high on the charts again with his new album She's the One, the sound track from the hit movie --- filed for divorce on September 9 from wife of 21 years, Linda, citing irreconcilable differences.

Now he's back with Fleetwood Mac's Stevie --- and they're finding love is definitely better the second time around. The pair were first linked in the early '80s, shortly after Nicks divorced her second husband.

Now, Petty has been separated from his wife Linda since January and, according to friends, he and Stevie have been burning up the phone lines ever since and getting together whenever they can. "Stevie and Tom collaborated on several of her solo albums and that's how they became so close," says a source.

Now, more than 10 years on, Nicks has slimmed down and sobered up and the rock couple is making beautiful music together. "Stevie has lost a lot of weight and she looks really terrific," says a source. "She's feeling good about herself and it shows."

According to sources close to the couple, one of the reasons Nicks and Petty have rekindled their love is their similar life experiences. "Both Tom and Stevie have been in the music business forever so they know the perils of being on the road constantly," says a source. And Nicks and Petty have something else in common as well --- they've both kicked longtime addictions.

"Stevie had been in rehab for alcohol and cocaine addiction and Tom kicked his booze habit in 1987 for good."

The rocking duo recently went public with their relationship at a Hollywood bash close pal Ringo Starr threw for his wife Barbara Bach's birthday.

Phoenix-born Nicks has even put her Paradise Valley, Ariz., home up for sale and decided to settle in a spacious Los Angeles mansion where she can be closer to her rocker lover.

Petty's marital split and his romantic reunion with blonde-haired beauty Nicks comes as no surprise to those who know the couple. "Tom and his wife Jane had a really tough go of it. They've separated a couple of times over the years but they always got it back together. I guess that things just couldn't be repaired this time." Petty himself is brutally honest when he talks about the state of his 21-year marriage (the couple have two daughters, Adria, 21, and 14-year-old Anna).

"We have taken some shrapnel," he said. "We do walk with a slight limp."
that's hilarious! They have a freaking quote of from someone who "knows" them getting Jane's name right, but then keep calling her Linda. That's the best!
Old 10-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

In her commentary, Stevie talks about how when she asks for Tom's advice/opinion he doesn't beat around the bush and can come off as harsh. This makes me think Tom is most definitely the person (famous friend) telling Stevie to get over this man. It's not even a relationship anymore. It's been dead for years. GET OVER IT. Thanks, Tom. On who this man is? My bet is Joe Walsh. Gross, I know, but Stevie has said that this is the one relationship that she's never gotten over, and that for the longest time she just thought "Well, that's it there's nothing left for me".

Last edited by goldenground; 10-04-2014 at 11:21 PM..
Old 10-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe Don??
Yes, I think Don is the most famous and later in her life, Sheryl Crow. She and Sheryl once had a relationship where she confided things in Sheryl a lot. Not so much anymore.

Michele
Old 10-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, we had already talked about Tom asking Stevie not to come and see him in San Francisco because of the rumors. Whether true or not, I think his wife got paranoid at the end of their marriage and I have always thought these Petty lyrics might have been about Stevie:

"Accused of Love"

You speak to me in natural harmony
Like we both grew up with nothin'
And I can't believe my own memory
But it one day could be coming

And I don't even know the wrong I've done
And I don't even care anymore
All I know is I believe that you and me
Forever will stand accused of love

Watched the sun go down behind London Town
I was burnt, stood up in Mayfair
I caught a train, black car through the rain
From the trust that hung betrayed there

And I don't even know the wrong I've done
And I don't even care anymore

Well, the attorney grins, the witness is drug in
With his face half hid in shadow
Sworn to God and State the truth arrives too late
And defense goes out the window

And we don't even know the wrong we've done
And we don't even care anymore
Will stand accused of love
Will stand accused of love
Old 10-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenground View Post
On who this man is? My bet is Joe Walsh.
I have a feeling she's talking about Joe, or maybe Don Henley. She wrote the song in 1995. The Eagles' 'Hell Freezes Over' was released in November of '94 and was a huge hit with massive promotion. If she were to walk in to a record store that year and see a "life-size paper doll" (a standee or promo poster) of an ex-lover, it's highly unlikely that it would be Lindsey, but rather one of her Eagles suitors.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can someone please post the lyrics to this song?