The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > The Ledge Boards

Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Suggestion: Tapatalk Support

Just wanna suggest something to the people running this forum. Tapatalk is a mobile app supported in all the major mobile platforms that is specifically geared to make forum access easier.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

I would really love it if this would be considered since there are a lot of us who access The Ledge through mobile phones, and it's frankly a PITA to scroll through everything on a small phone. It's free to activate, and it supports the version of vBulletin used on this forum.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Interesting. Looks like a quicker, more cost-efficient and less technical support intense way of making the site mobile than upgrading to the most modern version of Vbulletin would be. I'll look into it.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yes! This is so needed! I end up missing a lot because of not having access to my computer most of the time and of how difficult it is to read everything on my phone.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
Interesting. Looks like a quicker, more cost-efficient and less technical support intense way of making the site mobile than upgrading to the most modern version of Vbulletin would be. I'll look into it.
Ooh, thanks for considering it. Would really love it to happen.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm guessing that most of the people who read these forums are doing so from a cell phone or mobile device. I am not one of them. I'm old school and still use a desk top. I am curious to know though, what changes will this enable you to do?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm guessing that most of the people who read these forums are doing so from a cell phone or mobile device. I am not one of them. I'm old school and still use a desk top. I am curious to know though, what changes will this enable you to do?
Well, it shouldn't change anything for us desk top users. People on the cell phones will access it through their tapatalk app and it should make all the threads and pictures load a lot faster for them. The app will cost them money though, like $4. But it won't change what we're doing on our computers via the web-based version.

Michele
Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I access it both ways. Laptop at home, smartphone while on the go. The support is simply an add-on. It shouldn't affect the regular web version.

Yes it's a paid app, but honestly worth it.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

An aside: Sam, your sig is awesome.

I find it very difficult to forum by mobile device. Writing anything that remotely resembles depth of thought requires a keyboard for me, and my thoughts are rarely of any significance anyway. My hats off to you applebucked, for being able to do it by phone!

But yes, tapatalk support seems logical. Also I get kinda tickled when posts end with a "Post made by Tapatalk 2.o" message. That just amuses me for no real reason.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. Two very beautiful ladies over the years.

It's a PITA to do it on a smartphone (my screen size is the same as the iPhone 5, but it's an Android device), but doable especially if you have those phone keyboards that allow to swipe words instead of type them. The Google keyboard you can download from the Play Store has that. I don't think the Apple one does.

Tapatalk at least presents the forum in a more readable form, sort of like a mobile version of the forum. It's what I use for forums like XDA-Developers (for my phone tinkering needs) and others that support the app.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I use the Tapatalk app for other forums as well and it would be a great addition for this forum to have it! It has a nice interface and you could get notifications for subscribed threads.

I say make it happen!