Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac’s Top 10 most downloaded tracks

[2 LB, 2 SN, 4 CM, 1 PG and The Chain]

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-...d-tracks-1833/

Fleetwood Mac’s Top 10 most downloaded tracks
29/01/2013

Advertisement

By Dan Lane

Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours looks set to re-enter the Official Albums Chart Top 10 this Sunday, 35 years after if first reached Number 1 in the UK. To celebrate, OfficialCharts.com reveal the band’s Top 10 most downloaded tracks of all time – the Official Fleetwood Mac Digital Top 10.

As Fleetwood Mac gear up to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the seminal 1977 album Rumours going to Number 1 in the UK, a series of deluxe re-issues of the record look set to put it back in the Official Albums Chart Top 10 this Sunday.

Released in February 1977, Rumours debuted at Number 7 on the Official Albums Chart on February 27 of that year (week ending March 5) - but it wasn’t until nearly a year later, on January 22, 1978 (week ending January 28), that Rumours finally peaked at Number 1, giving the Anglo-American band their first UK chart topping album.

To date, Rumours has spent a staggering 493 weeks on the Official Albums Chart, making it the most charting album in British history (Queen’s Greatest Hits is in second place with 484 weeks, with Bat Out Of Hell by Meat Loaf in third place with 474 weeks). Rumours is also one of the Top 20 biggest selling albums of all time.

Some 36 years after it was first released, Rumours’ appeal seems unwavering, transcending multiple generations of music fans and indeed musical formats. Understandably, tracks from Rumours make up half of Fleetwood Mac’s Top 10 most downloaded tracks.

Go Your Own Way tops the Official Fleetwood Mac Digital Top 10, with The Chain (widely recognised by many as the theme of BBC TV’s motor racing coverage) a very close second. Dreams, which has been covered by everyone from The Corrs to the cast of Glee, is at Number 5, while Don’t Stop (Number 8) and Songbird (Number 10) also make the Top 10.

Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot says:

“As someone who grew up with Rumours on the family stereo, it is great to see it back in the Official Albums Chart again – and our Official Fleetwood Mac Digital Top 10 really highlights just how timeless this iconic British band’s music is.”

The Official Fleetwood Mac Digital Top 10

1 GO YOUR OWN WAY
2 THE CHAIN
3 EVERYWHERE
4 LITTLE LIES
5 DREAMS
6 ALBATROSS
7 LANDSLIDE
8 DON'T STOP
9 BIG LOVE
10 SONGBIRD

© 2013 The Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow- is this accurate? No Gypsy? Huh.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this just for the UK?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everywhere is a surprise for me.

I don't object to this list. Michele
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Is this just for the UK?
Must be I think.

Tango In The Night was huge here and gave them three top 10 singles (Big Love, Little Lies and Everywhere) so seeing those three songs in the list doesn't surprise me.

It seems that Mirage was the bigger deal in the US but here it didn't fare that well with Lindsey's 'Oh Diane' being their only hit.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without even looking at the list I figure that Landslide would be on top.

I'm shocked that "Don't Stop" is not on top of the list.

Any I'm surprised that Everywhere and Little Lies registered high on the list.

Nothing from SYW made the top 10.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Albatross higher than Landslide? I guess that it's a UK list skews things a bit, but that still surprises me quite a bit.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
Albatross higher than Landslide? I guess that it's a UK list skews things a bit, but that still surprises me quite a bit.
That doesn't surprise me at all. It makes sense: Albatross was a big hit in the UK. Landslide was just a deep album track.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-29-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
That doesn't surprise me at all. It makes sense: Albatross was a big hit in the UK. Landslide was just a deep album track.
yup. Albatross was huge all over Europe. i'm not sure i've ever heard Landslide before moving to the States and hearing Dixie Chicks version.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
So it is probably just a UK list, but anyway I find weird to find Albatross and not other 70s and 80s hits (YMLF, Rhiannon, Sara, Gypsy...). Albatross is too old and when Fleetwood Mac was known as a blues band. And I always found rock/pop far more popular then blues, in terms of fans. But maybe I don't know enough about the european culture. And probably Albatross is still a top download for nostalgic fans.

According to Wikipedia, the Albatross chart positions were:
No. 1 (UK)
No. 2 (Netherlands)
No. 2 (Norway)
No. 4 (Sweden)
No. 4 (Switzerland)
No. 5 (Ireland)
No. 11 (Australia)[1]
No. 45 (Canada)
No. 104 (United States)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post

Any I'm surprised that Everywhere and Little Lies registered high on the list.
Even for the US, I'm not surprised about Little Lies. There was a time when it seems all you heard was that song. And I love it, but I didn't want it to define FM the way it seemed to be doing for many years.

Michele
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a UK charts company. I think its close to what the charts would look like worldwide. I remember several sites saying that the two really BIG worldwide hits from Tango in the Night were Everywhere and Little Lies. Those songs made a big impact that year across the world so its not surprising. I think Little Lies may have the most youtube hits.

Stevie has had problems in Europe. Apparantly, at one time, she thought they wanted the earlier version of mac and not her over there.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't argue with the list, but was surprised Silver Springs didn't make it. Considering it gained new life with the Dance, it's really the only big time radio hit for them since Tango, given the age of tech we are in.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
Can't argue with the list, but was surprised Silver Springs didn't make it. Considering it gained new life with the Dance, it's really the only big time radio hit for them since Tango, given the age of tech we are in.
I agree, the list is what it is, but I'm not certain of the implications that can be assigned to this list. "The Dance" came out before most people were downloading music. At that time were buying cds, VHS videos and even cassette tapes-- so a large portion of the population already have this stuff. (one reason why so many balk at buying Rumours again and again for one or two new forms of songs, right?) Those with Dance era cds in recent times have already imported the songs they want to their iTunes/Clouds/iPods.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very good point. And let's not forget what Glee did too.