User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
I dont quite see why they would be doing this? They dont need the money and it's not for the "art". I dont remember them ever doing something like this before.

I've seen some of these corporate event performances and 75% of the audience dont care who is on stage. The atmosphere is not driven by the music... it's usually by wine!

Could this performance be for a friend?

"Need" isn't "want."

In my opinion, it's human nature for people who have experienced "tough times," either in their family or their own life, to want to keep making LOTS of money even after becoming wealthy. For one thing, they want to achieve "generational wealth" for their kids/nieces etc. i.m.o. it's human nature to want to keep the ka-ching comin' in for as long as possible. Don't forget, the gov. is talking about raising the inheritance tax on the very rich to 55% - that means, for example, that if Stevie's net worth is, say, 100 million dollars, Jessie would end up with only 45 million - that more than likely would be "pissed away" within a generation. The more they take in, the less likely that is to happen - and Jessie (for example) would be financially secure for life - even if she lives to be 110 - a possibility which some medical experts are beginning to consider possible for her generation.

Besides, I bet they just plain want to stay in practice. This way, they "maintain group loyalty," "keep tight," etc. And hey, it's FUN - I bet it's STILL fun for them. And they get to see their friends, who I would imagine are both the band members themselves and people "in their circle," at this point - personal assistants, etc. I bet they have their own little group of friends and just like anyone else, they love spending time with them. If someone's gonna pay them big buckage at the same time, then hey, who could resist THAT!?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I suspect that if Mick had his druthers, Fleetwood Mac would tour non-stop forever... just like Bob Dylan. Just for the sake of touring and playing and hanging out with his best mates. Same with John. So I suspect that it didn't take much arm-twisting to get them on board. Sure the money must have helped too, but I just can't imagine Mick saying "no" to anything involving Fleetwood Mac. Hopefully they will get together and rediscover their chemistry. Stevie will then play them some of the rough mixes of her new album and then a bowled-over Mick will take her aside and ask her to offer a few of those songs for the next Fleetwood Mac album. Lindsey will respond by playing some demos he's been working on and... voila... a new Fleetwood Mac album is born. Ha!
That'd really be wonderful if Stevie shared her new album with the band, and it sparked serious talks of a new Mac record!! Who knows, it's certainly possible... Stevie seems to be on a high right now with her new music. I know she was discouraged for several years following SYW regarding recording new material. I still think her dissatisfaction with SYW will drive her to record at least one more Mac album. I doubt she'll want that the be the Mac's final legacy.

I would have to think Lindsey's been noodling around with new material, too... but he's been very quiet about recording since Gift Of Screws. Yes, he said all during the Unleashed tour that the Mac doesn't have a new album... yet. But we haven't really heard first hand from him if he's been recording any new music for himself or otherwise.

And no doubt you're right about Mick and John. Of any of the Rumours kids, those guys simply just love playing and being in a band. I think the rest is just details for them.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Nikolaj
This message has been deleted by Nikolaj. Reason: not important
Old 10-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I suspect that if Mick had his druthers, Fleetwood Mac would tour non-stop forever... just like Bob Dylan. Just for the sake of touring and playing and hanging out with his best mates. Same with John. So I suspect that it didn't take much arm-twisting to get them on board. Sure the money must have helped too, but I just can't imagine Mick saying "no" to anything involving Fleetwood Mac. Hopefully they will get together and rediscover their chemistry. Stevie will then play them some of the rough mixes of her new album and then a bowled-over Mick will take her aside and ask her to offer a few of those songs for the next Fleetwood Mac album. Lindsey will respond by playing some demos he's been working on and... voila... a new Fleetwood Mac album is born. Ha!

BTW, I am sure Mick needs to get everything custom made simply because of his unusual proportions. I do too! I'd love to be able to shop for shirts off the rack, but they look absolutely ridamndiculous on me.
No thanks. I'd kill for a new Mac album, but I'd also kill for a new Stevie one. It is a shock that she is working on one to begin with and I would rather it not get thwarted so she can give a few of those songs to Fleetwood Mac. Nor would I want her to release an album with 9 or 10 songs and slide the other 5 over to Fleetwood Mac. I say convince her to come back and do an album with them after she's done with her solo stuff I'm tired of Fleetwood Mac albums= left over solo songs.

Also, I just wonder what the hell it could be that is so important that they are taking an entire week to rehearse for. Didn't Stevie only rehearse for a week for six shows? And they are spending an entire week in rehearsal for one show? Srsly, wtf. They've have 35 years of godddamn rehearsal. Alas, it is Fleetwood Mac, ergo it shouldn't make logical sense.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i think that is great news. i read about that already but i didn't know if it was true or not.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Stevie has done countless corporate/private events like this. So it seems like a natural progression for Fleetwood Mac to do such a thing.

Regarding them "not needing the money"... I wouldn't be so sure. Remember artists get paid a very, very tiny portion of their album sales (we're talking just pennies per each album sold). I'd have to imagine for someone like John McVie, his portion of that is almost negligible since he's neither a singer, songwriter, nor a manager. Most bands make true money in touring. But knowing the breakdown of the band's salaries, John and Mick reportedly get 15% each of the profits, while Lindsey gets 30% and Stevie gets a staggaring 40%. Keep in mind, all of this is AFTER the promoters, lawyers, venues, managers, et al have been paid. Let's also keep in mind all the band members live in extremely expensive areas (LA and Hawaii), and half of the band have very young children to tend. Since Stevie has no children and has a profitable solo career, she likely is good to go financially... but what about Mick and John? Mick has battled money problems all his life. He was dealing with bankruptcy as late as the '90s... I'd highly doubt he's got a huge nest egg these days. I'd suspect the only reason the band toured last year was to supplement incomes since the world is in recession, and I'm betting the band's stock & 401k portfolios were taking some serious hits.

Louie you're right about that. I think you're probably too young to remember Martha Davis or The Motels...I know you hear their songs in the department stores, radio...etc...anyway, in the 90s I was going with Martha's best friend and we all hung out at her place in Encino a few times...she told me what happens with songs, artist rights, costs...etc...and how pretty much, yeah, you do make pennies per play, sale etc...and when all expenses paid to the machine owners...you're practically in debt. The money is really in the ownership of the song...complete copyright ownerships. I think Stevie even said she made big money on her songs being done by other artists. That's when the machine for the remake artist has to pay it's due....and it becomes lucrative.

Also Mick and John and their investments (Mick Fleetwoods Costco Boxed Wine comes to mind) haven't been too lucrative...or what has been reported.