Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Songs that weren't played live (or not enough)...but should have been

One Sunny Day and Without You. It's possible they were, but I haven't heard versions. I know there are a few Peter Green songs from the pre-Kirwan days I'd like to hear live like If I'd Loved Another Woman.

BTW, does anyone else hear some early Rattlesnake Shake ideas in Curly?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 AM
Ledgie

Was Drifting, Closing my Eyes or Show-Biz Blues ever played live?

Last edited by TheGreenBlues; 08-13-2013 at 04:47 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

I can't imagine the last two were, but Drifting? Maybe when Kirwan first joined would be a guess.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
One Sunny Day and Without You. It's possible they were, but I haven't heard versions. I know there are a few Peter Green songs from the pre-Kirwan days I'd like to hear live like If I'd Loved Another Woman.

BTW, does anyone else hear some early Rattlesnake Shake ideas in Curly?
Being the retentive person I am, I can't let this go by

It's "I Loved Another Woman"...no "If" or "I'd"

There's a great version of "I Loved Another Woman" from the Carousel Ballroom '68 show with Paul Butterfield sitting in.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBlues View Post
Was Drifting, Closing my Eyes or Show-Biz Blues ever played live?
Show Biz blues was played live by Rory Gallagher
My guess is that peter probably played some of those songs live solo or with duster bennett but they were not recorded except maybe by themselves
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I loved another woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

There's a great version of "I Loved Another Woman" from the Carousel Ballroom '68 show with Paul Butterfield sitting in.
That was one of my favorite recordings along with "The Woman I love"
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And there's also the song usually called "I'm Going Home" from their debut gig at Windsor in 1967, which - to my guess - is an early version of "I Loved Another Woman".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDbG...38EE75597B376A
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m Going Home’ from the Windsor debut was first mistitled by bootleggers and then Sanctuary Records not only kept the incorrect title they compounded the error by also attributing the composer credit to Green.
It is actually a cover of an obscure Howlin’ Wolf song titled ‘Going Back Home’. It was recorded in December of 1956 it saw release as the A-side of a Chess single, but has been rarely anthologized, even in the CD age, most likely because Wolf “remade” the song some six months later, as the far superior ‘Who’s Been Talking’. The credit for the lead guitar line actually belongs to Wolf’s guitarist, Hubert Sumlin.

There are three live performances of ‘I Loved Another Woman’ in circulation, all from the first American tour in the summer of 1968. The one with Paul Butterfield at the Carousel already mentioned. Another from the Fillmore West and a third, recorded at The Space, in New York City.

It seems doubtful that Green would have ever performed ‘Show-Biz Blues’ in a concert setting as he would have had to have brought a National steel guitar along with him. A BBC broadcast would have been the only “live” setting I could imagine him doing it in.

Closing My Eyes’ would have been too difficult to pull off in concert. Not because they could not have come up with an arrangement for a live performance, but because it was too intimate a number, and I do not believe that Green wanted to open himself up like that on a nightly basis.
He did with numbers such as ‘Jumping At Shadows’ and ‘Before the Beginning’ but I do not see him adding yet another number like that into the set.

There is one live recording of ‘Without You’ that I know of, (great performance) though I have never been able to definitively nail down the date. I believe that it comes from the November 1969 Scandinavian tour, but it is impossible to say with certainty.
One Sunny Day’ seemed like a natural for concert number and it is a mystery and a shame that they never developed it as one.

Similar to the evolution of ‘Going Home’ to ‘I Loved Another Woman’, ‘Drifting’ eventually became ‘Fast Talking Woman Blues’ and there are two performances, recorded just days apart, in November 1968 at club shows in Sweden.
Unfortunately, the sound quality on these recordings are pretty poor.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Right, it must be a misprint on my cd.

I checked out that version...very cool
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I’m Going Home’ from the Windsor debut was first mistitled by bootleggers and then Sanctuary Records not only kept the incorrect title they compounded the error by also attributing the composer credit to Green.
It is actually a cover of an obscure Howlin’ Wolf song titled ‘Going Back Home’. It was recorded in December of 1956 it saw release as the A-side of a Chess single, but has been rarely anthologized, even in the CD age, most likely because Wolf “remade” the song some six months later, as the far superior ‘Who’s Been Talking’. The credit for the lead guitar line actually belongs to Wolf’s guitarist, Hubert Sumlin.

There are three live performances of ‘I Loved Another Woman’ in circulation, all from the first American tour in the summer of 1968. The one with Paul Butterfield at the Carousel already mentioned. Another from the Fillmore West and a third, recorded at The Space, in New York City.

It seems doubtful that Green would have ever performed ‘Show-Biz Blues’ in a concert setting as he would have had to have brought a National steel guitar along with him. A BBC broadcast would have been the only “live” setting I could imagine him doing it in.

Closing My Eyes’ would have been too difficult to pull off in concert. Not because they could not have come up with an arrangement for a live performance, but because it was too intimate a number, and I do not believe that Green wanted to open himself up like that on a nightly basis.
He did with numbers such as ‘Jumping At Shadows’ and ‘Before the Beginning’ but I do not see him adding yet another number like that into the set.

There is one live recording of ‘Without You’ that I know of, (great performance) though I have never been able to definitively nail down the date. I believe that it comes from the November 1969 Scandinavian tour, but it is impossible to say with certainty.
One Sunny Day’ seemed like a natural for concert number and it is a mystery and a shame that they never developed it as one.

Similar to the evolution of ‘Going Home’ to ‘I Loved Another Woman’, ‘Drifting’ eventually became ‘Fast Talking Woman Blues’ and there are two performances, recorded just days apart, in November 1968 at club shows in Sweden.
Could you point me in the direction to hear that version of Without You?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for clearing this up! Very interesting... I'll hunt down that Wolf song.
You mention Sanctuary Records. Was the Windsor show ever released officially? I saw it listed at Amazon at one point, but it kept being delayed and delayed. I thought it was cancelled in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
I also love the developement of "Leaving Town Blues" from the version on "The Original Fleetwood Mac" to the live BBC version with guitar and fiddle!

Last edited by dansven; 08-14-2013 at 02:01 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
That makes sense, Closing My Eyes is such an intense song. If Green had of performed it at the time with FM I would have loved to hear him doing it solo on stage, I can only imagine the rawness of his voice and guitar performing it.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the versions of "Driftin’" recorded at Idrottshuset Örebro, Sweden nov 23 1968 respectively Gyllene Cirkeln Stockholm, Sweden now 21 1968 sounds pretty good,
and the same goes for "Without You" recorded at Gyllene Cirkeln Stockholm, Sweden now 21 1968 ...

Last edited by zoork_1; 08-14-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a core group of about eighteen tracks which have appeared in various combinations across a dizzying array of bootlegs, with titles such as “Live In Stockholm”, “Stockholm Blues”, “Live At Golden Circle 1968” and “Gyllene Cirklen, Stockholm Nov. 1968”. Exponentially increasing the confusion are recordings found on untitled “fan-made” compilations, where tracks are mixed and matched for trade and sent out into the world with little or no documentation.

Live performances in circulation listed as November 1968, April 1969 or November 1969 – Stockholm:

Jumping At Shadows (D. Bennett) (3:39)

Stop Messin’ Round (P. Green) (incomplete) (4:14)

Coming Your Way (D. Kirwan) (3:29)

All Over Again (B. B. King) (6:41)

Rollin’ Man (P. Green) (7:16)

My Baby’s Sweet (Homesick James Williamson) (4:06)

Stop Messin’ Round (P. Green) (6:46)

If You Let Me Love You (B. B. King) (7:02)

Talk With You (D. Kirwan) (4:15)

Homework (Otis Rush) (3:29)

Rollin’ Man (P. Green) (5:06)

Something Inside of Me (D. Kirwan) (3:43)

Tell Me (Mama) (D. Kirwan) (3:24)

Fast Talking Woman Blues (P. Green) (8:52)

The World Keep On Turning (P. Green) (2:56)

Albatross (P. Green) (2:56)

No Place To Go (Howlin’ Wolf) (6:13)

San-Ho-Zay (Freddie King) (6:23)

Without You (D. Kirwan) (6:08)

I have also seen the last two tracks listed, ‘San-Ho-Zay’ and ‘Without You’ attributed to that April 1969 show. While this is certainly within the realm of possibility, I believe that ‘Without You’ is actually from a later date. I believe that it comes from a show in April or November of 1969 based on the arrangement and the playing.

It should also be noted that the performance of ‘Fast Talking Woman Blues’ a.k.a. ‘Drifting’ from Orebro is incomplete, being cut off shortly after the three minute mark.
The one (possibly) from the Gyllene Cirklen runs close to nine minutes.

Any help in sorting these out would be greatly appreciated

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
‘[B]
As shown previously my memory is far from infallible ,but .......
I'm pretty sure I saw them perform this song live a couple of times. I think one was at the Roundhouse when Peter was still in the band(not 100%on this ) but the other was at the Marquee club after Jeremy had quit and the reason I'm sure thay did this is cause there were very few if any songs with a blues shuffle beat in their set at this time, and many of the fans missed that aspect , having remembered how they could kick up a storm in this type of numbers .So when the song had progressed ,and the audience realised when it got to he middle blues shuffle sections of this song , they showed their appreciation by clapping and whooping Fans with them from early on missed this aspect of their show and this was the closest it got at that time .