Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation date for these BBC tracks?

I recently came into some nice quality BBC blues boom stuff which includes these tracks...

04 Fleetwood Mac - Crazy For My Baby

05 Fleetwood Mac - Look On Yonder's Wall (Crutch & Cane)

06 Fleetwood Mac - I Had To Laugh

07 Fleetwood Mac - Mind Of My Own

08 Fleetwood Mac - Dead Shrimp Blues

09 Fleetwood Mac - Psychedelic Sendup

10 Fleetwood Mac - I Need Your Love

11 Fleetwood Mac - You're The One

I had two of these in much poorer quality. I Need Your Love is not the 'So Bad' song. Any input on what dates these might be from appreciated (don't want to say the dates offered in case they are different). 'Psychedelic Sendup' is pricelessly funny and I expect Jeremy instigated.

PMs welcome too.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Becca,

‘Crazy for My Baby’ is ‘Without You’ under its original title –
BBC broadcast, Radio One “Top Gear” recorded August 27, 1968 – broadcast November 24, 1968

Crutch & Cane’ – Elmore James’ ‘Look on Yonder’s Wall’ – recorded as ‘Crutch and Cane’ by Homesick James Williamson -
BBC broadcast, Radio One “Top Gear” recorded August 27, 1968 – broadcast November 24, 1968

‘I Have To Laugh’ – B-side of Otis Rush’s lone Duke single, ‘Homework’ (I know you all know that one!)
BBC broadcast, Radio One “Top Gear” recorded August 27, 1968 – broadcast September 01, 1968

‘Mind Of My Own’ – another Kirwan original
BBC broadcast, Radio One “Top Gear” recorded August 27, 1968 – broadcast September 01, 1968

‘Dead Shrimp Blues’ – rarely covered Robert Johnson number – originally released as the B-side of ‘I Believe I’ll Dust My Broom’
BBC broadcast, “Top Gear” recorded May 27, 1968 - broadcast June 02, 1968

‘Psychedelic Sendup’ – I have also seen this listed as 'Delta Head’ apparently the name given the track by John Peel after it was played on his show, but I have always preferred, ‘Intergalactic Magicians Walking Through Pools of Velvet Darkness’ – on the bootleg that I have, Peel claims that is McVie’s title for the “song”

‘I Need Your Love’ – the song was originally recorded for Chess in 1956 by Jimmy Rogers as ‘If It Ain’t Me (Who Are You Thinking Of)’. Big Walter Horton plays harmonica on that version and the song became something of a signature piece for him, usually under the title, ‘It’s Alright’.
He actually recorded the song with backing from members of Fleetwood Mac at the “Blues Jam in Chicago” sessions under the title ‘I Need Your Love’
Some bootlegs of the Fleetwood Mac BBC performance list it as ‘That Ain’t It’

‘You're The One’ – one of the many Buddy Holly demo recordings that were released posthumously. This number came out in 1964 on the “Showcase” LP, with only light percussion (handclaps) provided by Waylon Jennings added to Holly’s original recording.

Sure that this is more info than anyone needs, (and I could provide more) but I blame my OCD

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, this is great to find out so much! I have a bunch of Buddy Holly (even NYC apartment tapes) collections with and without overdubs, so I probably must have 'You're The One' someplace. I know he did some recording with Waylon in the studio, my Dad is a big Jennings buff.

I only had Yonder's Wall and Dead Shrimp before and they were like something recorded by a toy submarine at the south pole tuning into Caroline or something!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to say that Howlin' Wolf is my all-time favorite, but Pete era FM is fairly close second.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Crazy for my Baby is great, I've never heard that version. Pete on harmonica and Spencer (?) on piano, niiiiice.