Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
‘[B]
Closing My Eyes’ would have been too difficult to pull off in concert. Not because they could not have come up with an arrangement for a live performance, but because it was too intimate a number, and I do not believe that Green wanted to open himself up like that on a nightly basis.
He did with numbers such as ‘Jumping At Shadows’ and ‘Before the Beginning’ but I do not see him adding yet another number like that into the set.
I think that this is the very thing that made Peter such a great blues player -that he would bare his soul through his singing and particularly his guitar playing He must have done this on a nightly basis when he was doing Love that Burns for example To me this song was very "intimate" in live performance ,, but pehaps he found it more difficult to do that sort of thing towards the end of his period with FM Perhaps it was the fairly explicit religious aspects of Closing My Eyes that he felt might not work live.or didn't want to reprise every night in front of his bandmates ?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is a core group of about eighteen tracks ...[...].

Any help in sorting these out would be greatly appreciated
I'll dig in to my catalog see what I can do...
Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
As shown previously my memory is far from infallible ,but .......
I'm pretty sure I saw them perform this song live a couple of times. I think one was at the Roundhouse when Peter was still in the band(not 100%on this ) but the other was at the Marquee club after Jeremy had quit and the reason I'm sure thay did this is cause there were very few if any songs with a blues shuffle beat in their set at this time, and many of the fans missed that aspect , having remembered how they could kick up a storm in this type of numbers .So when the song had progressed ,and the audience realised when it got to he middle blues shuffle sections of this song , they showed their appreciation by clapping and whooping Fans with them from early on missed this aspect of their show and this was the closest it got at that time .
Just to be clear here, this was the Welch line-up, playing a gig at the Marquee, right? Fall 1971?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m Going Home’ from the Windsor debut was first mistitled by bootleggers and then Sanctuary Records not only kept the incorrect title they compounded the error by also attributing the composer credit to Green.
It is actually a cover of an obscure Howlin’ Wolf song titled ‘Going Back Home’. It was recorded in December of 1956 it saw release as the A-side of a Chess single, but has been rarely anthologized, even in the CD age, most likely because Wolf “remade” the song some six months later, as the far superior ‘Who’s Been Talking’. The credit for the lead guitar line actually belongs to Wolf’s guitarist, Hubert Sumlin.
Thanks for clearing this up.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Just to be clear here, this was the Welch line-up, playing a gig at the Marquee, right? Fall 1971?
Yes it was the Welch /Kirwan line up. I definitely saw this line up play a couple of times at least, and one was definitely the Marquee club (when it was in Wardour Street )whether it was the autumn of 1971 I don't remember - Do the records say this was the only time that line up played there ? This was the occassion when Mick was drooling sometimes whilst he played , and Mc vie comforted him at some point( as I described in another posting somewhere )Bob Welch was very impressive, but as I said ,those of us that went back to the Jeremy and Peter days missed the full pelt blues shuffles that they did so well ,so we were grateful for even a limited display of it .