The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Largest live audience for the band?

Anyone know what was the largest live audience that the Peter Green lineup of the band ever played to at a show, and at what venue?

And while we're at it, same question for the various Jeremy Spencer / Danny Kirwan / Christine McVie / Bob Welch lineups....
Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
Anyone know what was the largest live audience that the Peter Green lineup of the band ever played to at a show, and at what venue?
If they'd played Woodstock...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for me, I mostly enjoy the small club venues. I even chose not to see BB King over here in places that were big enough to please 2000 people. My maximum is 400.
Cheers
Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Haven't been able to find any "numbers" but the largest audiences they played to would most like have been at one of the English festivals, many of which had them near the top of the bill in 1969 and 1970 - festivals at the Wembley Empire Pool, the Bath Blues Festival (summer of '69 - which also had Led Zeppelin on the bill), the Essen Blues Festival in Germany and the one in Buxton-on-Tent back in England.
It is telling that aside from the Miami Music Festival at the end of 1968 (where they flew in for a day, played their set and left) that they never played any of the "big" events in the U.S.
Does anyone know how large the halls were that they played in the Netherlands, or on their "Scandinavian" (roadie Dinky Dawson's term)tours through Denmark, Sweden and Norway? It is all but impossible to find any information on those tours!

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
Haven't been able to find any "numbers" but the largest audiences they played to would most like have been at one of the English festivals, many of which had them near the top of the bill in 1969 and 1970 - festivals at the Wembley Empire Pool, the Bath Blues Festival (summer of '69 - which also had Led Zeppelin on the bill), the Essen Blues Festival in Germany and the one in Buxton-on-Tent back in England.
It is telling that aside from the Miami Music Festival at the end of 1968 (where they flew in for a day, played their set and left) that they never played any of the "big" events in the U.S.
Does anyone know how large the halls were that they played in the Netherlands, or on their "Scandinavian" (roadie Dinky Dawson's term)tours through Denmark, Sweden and Norway? It is all but impossible to find any information on those tours!
I think you're right about these European festivals having the largest crowds.
In Sweden they played at Konserthuset in Stockholm in 69/70. Capacity is about 2000, so that's not too big. I think KB Hallen in Copenhagen is a little
bigger. Most of the concerts in Scandinavia were probably to crowds numbering a few thousand.
So the festivals win out..I can imagine that the band liked better playing
to smaller crowds though. Security and organization were horrible at most of
those major festivals (Woodstock, Isle of Wight, Isle of Fehmarn etc.).
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
When I saw them back in 1969 it was in De Doelen in Rotterdam. About 2200 places, I sat in the Parterre location. I included a picture of the hall here. At the same time they also played in Den Haag, but I don't know exactly where.
Amsterdam, the concerthouse, probably also had about 2000 seats at that time.
Attached Images
File Type: gif De Doelen GroteZaal.gif (14.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wouter, was that the Den Haag show that was recorded for "Roughage"? If so, do you recall what month that might have been? I believe I've seen it listed as February and also as April.....but of course it just as easily could be from another month considering how reliable bootleg dates are!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wouter, was that the Den Haag show that was recorded for "Roughage"? If so, do you recall what month that might have been? I believe I've seen it listed as February and also as April.....but of course it just as easily could be from another month considering how reliable bootleg dates are!
It was indeed the Den Haag show that was (partly) included on Roughage. Not sure about the date, probably april 20, 1969. The Amsterdam show (also partly included on Roughage was definitely february 28, 1969. I included the poster for the Amsterdam show in here.
I remember sitting by the television set with a tape recorder and a microphone. This was broadcasted on Dutch TV after I saw them in Rotterdam a couple of days later. Too bad they destroyed the video tapes, the bastards !!! It would have been the only live recording on video ever of this magnificent line-up (as far as I know). Too bad also that I (i.e. my parents) did not have a video recorder at that time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fleetwood Mac - 1969-02-28 affiche Amsterdam-2.jpg (89.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Wouter! Great poster, too - thanks for sharing it!
That really is a shame about the videotape of this performance. Oh well....