The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Default Yeah, roaming youtube you can find the most incredible stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
SisterNightRoad, WOW, I have never seen this video B4. Didn't know it existed and I Loved it.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-28-2015 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
17 Reasons This 'Rhiannon' Clip Is the Coolest Thing in the Universe

1 This relatively new video has been retrieved from the vaults of the Paste.com site more or less a year and a half ago, and records a Rhiannon performance from the first tour of the new Fleetwood Mac formation with Buckingham-Nicks. It's black and white but very clear and with a vintage allure. I hope more footage like this from the early days comes out.

2 The performance it's a concentrated of Rhiannon: starts ex-abrupto, right in the middle of Lindsey's guitar solo and your ears are blasted. It's unbelievable that in the Rolling Stone list of the best guitarists of the time he is only 100th.

3 Lindsey is handsome with his beautiful curly hair and silk blouse.

4 Right after we see Christine that's very into the performance. She look gorgeous.

5 The first impression we have of Stevie is that of a graceful shadow bound in very light and see-through fabrics. She's already just captivating.

6 Next her image appears blending perfectly with that of Christine: a beautiful woman dancing with silky butterfly wings.

7 Stevie still performs in her clothes, this is before her Margi Kent uniform. Even so she looks like a mystical legendary creature. Can you believe you could have seen her on the streets dress like this?

8 She starts chanting the same line with very little variations; it's the calm before the storm and her voice gradually becomes higher and stronger

9 We finally see her (beautiful) face. She has closed her eyes savoring the moment that's about to come.

10 The song grows increasingly faster and harder and Stevie, always with closed eyes, repeats the same summoning line moving her fabrics like a shaman.

11 Mick is pounding frantically, keeping the band going.

12 Stevie shouts Rhiannon's name shaking her beautiful hair; she's near her breaking point.

13 Now she completely let go of herself, shaking her hair, stomping her feet, flapping her silks and shouting to 'please be taken to the sky' nearly straining her voice.

14 Stevie almost seem to command the listener to dream on. During a performance like this it's impossible not to dream, she's making her audience dream.

15 Stevie turns her back exausted near the end, and then lean herself on the microphone after a look at the other bandmates. All the band is putting a masive efffort.

16 It ends with one last powerful scream and then she collaps with a reference to The Dying Swan.

17 Stevie rises again in a swirl of veils and thanks the audience with crystalline voice. She takes a last bewitching glance at the camera and smiles.
wow… I feel like I should lie back and light a cigarette after all that…...
Old 01-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

1 This is Fleetwood Mac performing in Philadelphia at the Spectrum on the 21 March 1977, around the 5th concert date. I'll be honest, I don't know how I can pull out 17 good things about it as in this video you almost can't see/hear ****, but it's a rare footage from the start of the Rumours tour and I think it would still be great to see the entirety of the show.

2 Stevie is still at the best of her voice and you can hear her still singing all the high notes and the high part of her harmonies, while later on the tour she switches part with Christine.

3 Fleetwood Mac perform in the dark, I think it would have been awesome to see them at the time with this special atmosphere.

4 We have the first decent close-up at 1:49. Stevie has her signature rumours shaggy hair, apart from here we can see it on video only on the footage from the Paris rehearsals used for the Don't stop and Dreams official video. I'd like to know if more video footage of those rehearsals exists.

5 The scream at 2:52 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J7__XJU44I#t=172), just like on the White album tour.

6 After that, finally turns on the light, and we can see the rest of the band. At the beginning of the Rumours tour they wore clothes based on a sort of vintage concept, and we can see Lindsey with a Victorian blouse and John wearing a white shirt and a waistcoat. Later on the tour only Stevie and Mick would remain loyal to their stage clothes.

7 At 3:16 we have the first good close-up of Lindsey during his guitar solo in his resplendent shirt.

8 Around 4:25 Stevie reappears from the dark with her arms raised up with her silk wings/sleeves hanging from her hands on her face.

9 After a while it becomes a tiny bit clearer and we can see Stevie's arms covered in her Silver and white stones moving her hair from her face in preparation for the end.

10 We also get to see Christine dressed in white while Stevie passes her for a brief moment during her Rhiannon dance, the only moment of during this part of the song in wich both the ladies are visible.

11 At 5:21 Stevie moves her fingers in an enticing gesture while singing "take me like the wind, baby, take me with the sky"

12 After, Stevie grabs her microphone and the "exorcism" part begins: she screams the same line while looking at the audience all over the place making entice gestures with her arms, one at a time.

13 At 5:48 all the lights are on and Stevie now shouts, glaring in every direction, flapping her silks while moving backwards like preparing for an assault.

14 Now Stevie loses control and wrenches her microphone with her sleeves in every direction and completely throws back her head and hair before finishing the song.

15 After a last pull a the microphone, Stevie closes with a powerful cry: "take me to the sky, dreamer"

16 The song ends with Stevie letting herself fall on her knees with her silk sleeves hanging up her head.

17 The last thing we see is Stevie's nice big thanking smile.
god her voice was so amazing then…….. And Lindsey playing the Les Paul sounds so much more rocking than his Turner.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wow… I feel like I should lie back and light a cigarette after all that…...
Yeah, I noticed that too but it was too late to go back on my literary effort.
At least it's "still a better story than Twilight". Or should I say "still a better story than 50 shades"?

Quote:
god her voice was so amazing then…….. And Lindsey playing the Les Paul sounds so much more rocking than his Turner.
I agree that that concert was special, if you're interested the Ivory keys site has recently posted an upgraded bootleg of this show: http://stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot...elphia-pa.html
Old 01-31-2015, 05:58 AM

Default my favorite Rhiannon is every Rhiannon: part5

1 This video doesn't need a presentation, it's the famous "Rumours tour" concert filmed by Warner on the 5th of December 1977 at the Tokyo Budokan. Fleetwood Mac, especially Stevie after vocal chord surgery, in Japan weren't at the top of their game but this performances are still special and raw. The Budokan, the most special concert place in the east, is said to bring out the best in musicians, and many musicians include it among their favorite venues. It was born as a palace for martial arts but when in 1966, in absence of another possible place, had to house the Tokyo Beatles concert, the sport building become concert place. If you want to read the interesting history of the Nippon Budokan, you can find it here: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/budokan-venue/

2 Stevie makes her entrance walking slowly with her arms wrapped around herself, enveloped in her black silk sleeves and with her soar voice pronounces: "This is a song about a... a good witch..."

3 A gold light illuminates Stevie's face: she's particularly gorgeous with her Robert Plant-like hair, she's a "Golden goddess".

4 In this performance she dropped all the high notes, but what lacks in virtuosism is compensated in charm and charisma, singing sultrily with her eyes closed and covered in a see-through black silk veil.

5 The spirited look she has at 2:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPc-NpoVwvQ#t=132

6 And again at 2:41 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPc-NpoVwvQ#t=161

7 Her sweet bewitching harmonies on the chorus.

8 When the lights switch to red it's the clue that Stevie is about to switch from golden to fiery goddess; she starts bringing out the power in her voice.

9 I think we all know from whose closet Lindsey's hawaiian shirt comes... nice solo anyway.

10 From the bootlegs I can hear that the band's playing during the Japan tour was harder, heavier, maybe because around that time Lindsey started to be interested in punk-rock. Anyway musically the Japan shows are my favourites.

11 Under the red light Stevie unfolds her wings-arms one at a time and starts her magic: during Christine and Lindsey's interlude twirls faster and faster, never tiring, until she stops abruptly and moves forward with her head down, always swinging her silks.

12 She stops with her arms in the air and the veils falling covering her face and starts making unearthly sounds. She starts twitching her arms gradually lowering them, and uncovers her hair first, then her face. Now we can see her beautiful face again.

13 With outstretched wings-like arms, Stevie begins howling "Dreams unwind love is hard to find" in trance, letting her velvet top lower in the meanwhile.

14 Now Stevie prepares for her big end: she tosses her silk sleeves away and frames her face with her open hands sideways, always with closed eyes.

15 Stevie finally grabs her microphone and her voice becomes biting. She bends her knees caressing her hair and lets go: "golden, emerald, satin" making enticing gestures with her fingers.

16 The end is near and Stevie, all over her microphone, starts pushing over the limits of her voice and slowly rising while chanting "all the same, all the same, Rhiannon" over and over.

17 She throws her hand open in the hair and, during the last dream on scream, she closes her fist and lets herself fall like the dying swan.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-31-2015 at 10:21 AM..
Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
bring back any RAL incarnation.
thank you.
Absolutely!! RAL era Rhiannon just ... has so much excitement. I count myself as very fortunate to have experienced this era in person.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 AM
Registered

Quote:

1 This video doesn't need a presentation, it's the famous "Rumours tour" concert filmed by Warner on the 5th of December 1977 at the Tokyo Budokan. Fleetwood Mac, especially Stevie after vocal chord surgery, in Japan weren't at the top of their game but this performances are still special and raw. The Budokan, the most special concert place in the east, that is said to bring out the best in musicians, and many musicians consider include it among their favorite venues. It was born as a palace for martial arts but when in 1966, in absence of another possible place, had to house the Tokyo Beatles concert, the sport building become concert place. If you want to read the interesting history of the Nippon Budokan, you can find it here: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/budokan-venue/

2 Stevie makes her entrance walking slowly with her arms wrapped around herself, enveloped in her black silk sleeves and with her soar voice pronounces: "This is a song about a... a good witch..."

3 A gold light illuminates Stevie's face: she's particularly gorgeous with her Robert Plant-like hair, she's a "Golden goddess".

4 In this performance she dropped all the high notes, but what lacks in virtuosism is compensated in charm and charisma, singing sultrily with her eyes closed and covered in a see-through black silk veil.

5 The spirited look she has at 2:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPc-NpoVwvQ#t=132

8 When the lights switch to red it's the clue that Stevie is about to switch from golden to fiery goddess; she starts bringing out the power in her voice.

9 I think we all know from whose closet Lindsey's hawaiian shirt comes... nice solo anyway.

10 From the bootlegs I can hear that the band's playing during the Japan tour was harder, heavier, maybe because around that time Lindsey started to be interested in punk-rock. Anyway musically the Japan shows are my favourites.

11 Under the red light Stevie unfolds her wings-arms one at a time and starts her magic: during Christine and Lindsey's interlude twirls faster and faster, never tiring, until she stops abruptly and moves forward with her head down, always swinging her silks.

12 She stops with her arms in the air and the veils falling covering her face and starts making unearthly sounds. She starts twitching her arms gradually lowering them, and uncovers her hair first, then her face. Now we can see her beautiful face again.

13 With outstretched wings-like arms, Stevie begins howling "Dreams unwind love is hard to find" in trance, letting her velvet top lower in the meanwhile.

14 Now Stevie prepares for her big end: she tosses her silk sleeves away and frames her face with her open hands sideways, always with closed eyes.

15 Stevie finally grabs her microphone and her voice becomes biting. She bends her knees caressing her hair and lets go: "golden, emerald, satin" making enticing gestures with her fingers.

16 The end is near and Stevie, all over her microphone, starts pushing over the limits of her voice and slowly rising while chanting "all the same, all the same, Rhiannon" over and over.

17 She throws her hand open in the hair and, during the last dream on scream, she closes her fist and lets herself fall like the dying swan.

she's really high , there are tv cameras on her ( she always performs best when she's being filmed ) it's been a while but I believe the dress is on display in the Hard Rock in Boston
Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
she's really high , there are tv cameras on her ( she always performs best when she's being filmed ) it's been a while but I believe the dress is on display in the Hard Rock in Boston
In Japan the band didn't have access on drugs so she wasn't high. Maybe she was stoned.
I knew this dress was on the Rock n roll hall of fame museum.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM
Junior Ledgie

One word: wow! I've seen this before but I love your analysis. This version is really heavenly...

Quote:

1 This video doesn't need a presentation, it's the famous "Rumours tour" concert filmed by Warner on the 5th of December 1977 at the Tokyo Budokan. Fleetwood Mac, especially Stevie after vocal chord surgery, in Japan weren't at the top of their game but this performances are still special and raw. The Budokan, the most special concert place in the east, is said to bring out the best in musicians, and many musicians include it among their favorite venues. It was born as a palace for martial arts but when in 1966, in absence of another possible place, had to house the Tokyo Beatles concert, the sport building become concert place. If you want to read the interesting history of the Nippon Budokan, you can find it here: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/budokan-venue/

Old 01-31-2015, 11:16 AM

Default It's always nice to know that someone appreciates what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy_sunday View Post
One word: wow! I've seen this before but I love your analysis. This version is really heavenly...
Old 01-31-2015, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In Japan the band didn't have access on drugs so she wasn't high. Maybe she was stoned.
I knew this dress was on the Rock n roll hall of fame museum.
I think that was during the Tusk Tour, because it was right after Paul McCartney was arrested in 1980 in Tokyo.

Either way, this is my favourite performance of Rhiannon Ever, and I had never figured out the words when she said "golden, emerald, satin." I always thought it was "go and, send her, end her, send her, go on, end her, send her"... HAUNTING
Old 01-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

That totally solidifies her queen of rock and roll status!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I think that was during the Tusk Tour, because it was right after Paul McCartney was arrested in 1980 in Tokyo.

Either way, this is my favourite performance of Rhiannon Ever, and I had never figured out the words when she said "golden, emerald, satin." I always thought it was "go and, send her, end her, send her, go on, end her, send her"... HAUNTING
I'm not sure about what she says at 100% but I totally can hear her say "Golden", then thinking about the Three birds of Rhiannon where she says that one is golden, one emerald green and one snow white I figured it was one of her ad-libs merging from other songs. I asked a lot of time ago to Gold dust Stevie for her opinion and she gave me that answer, so I think it's the one.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not sure about what she says at 100% but I totally can hear her say "Golden", then thinking about the Three birds of Rhiannon where she says that one is golden, one emerald green and one snow white I figured it was one of her ad-libs merging from other songs. I asked a lot of time ago to Gold dust Stevie for her opinion and she gave me that answer, so I think it's the one.
I think this is right. This makes so much more sense lol. Thank you for clearing this up!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 AM

Default my favorite Rhiannon is every Rhiannon: part6

1 This performance was recorded in November 1977 at the Sydney Rockarena. 4 years ago the Outside Broadcast supervisor of the concert has drawn out from his personal vaults this never been seen on TV performance along with Oh well, You make loving fun and Go your own way. He had promised to post the rest of the concert but for some reason stopped; I hope someone else will post the rest because this show has both very good quality and performance.

2 The author of the video specified that the audio comes from two shotgun microphones placed at the speaker towers because the crew was not allowed to take an audio feed from the desk. This explains why the sound isn't crisp clear but rather muffled and raw, but it also means that the audio is exactly as you could have heard live the night of the concert.

3 This is towards the end of the Rumours tour, Stevie's voice is quite worn out but she still sings with much passion and puts in a massive effort, like all the others band members.

4 Stevie is gorgeous as always, and she wears this particularly beautiful black Rhiannon striped dress. This dress had never been captured on video before, and there aren't even a lot of live picture of it on the internet, so this video is special.

5 The wind that night blew strongly, giving an added flavour to Stevie's performance, moving her soft ruffled waves and lifting her silks in every direction. In an interview she stated that she developed her style also thinking about her audience, prefering fabrics that enhance big movements that you can see from afar and that with the wind can look even more wonderful. This is that kind of performance.

6 Stevie's voice on the "Rhiannon" armonies is still strong and high; this is before the Japan tour and right before her vocal chords breakdown. Even if her voice isn't at top form, you can hear her put in a massive effort.

7 Her glaring at the camera at 2:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiAtGzOnHs#t=145

8 The beautiful close-up at 2:46, with the golden green light enlighting her skin, making her look a beautiful spatial creature https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiAtGzOnHs#t=166

9 the silks flying at 3:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiAtGzOnHs#t=185

10 When Stevie starts singing "Taken by the sky" with her hand grasping the microphone and her sleeves hanging down, twitched by the wind, you hear her tone changing and becoming gradually more powerful, until the final explosive No.

11 Stevie temporarily exit the scene: we see a flashy close-up of Christine dressed in a luscious red blouse and then the scene switch to Lindsey, in his attractive indian blouse, playing manically his guitar solo shaking his hair.

12 Stevie begins to slowly rotate her veil kept between her fingers while the calm descends. She gradually starts to rotate herself and, when the rythm escalates, she spreads both her black silk wings and twirls increasingly faster under the light that now has turned red.

13 Stevie suddenly stops; the wind now rushes and, with an ecstatic look on her face, she makes her hair and her silks blow in the wind while Lindsey strums. Now Stevie turns her back and flutters her black sleeves at the rithm of John's bass, slowly making her way to the microphone.

14 With her arms up in the sky and her veils down overlaying her, she roars at lenght while the wind enticingly twitch her silk fabrics, uncovering her face one part at a time. She sings "Dreams unwind love's a state of mind" over and over, with her arms progressively opening and the light changing from purple to red, gold and then green, when she finally belts "Love is hard to find" with her head thrown back.

15 "Take me like the wind, baby, take me with the sky" Stevie beckons with her hand and then she pulls up her microphone and begins chanting "All the same" bending on her knees, green-lit at the start of her "Rhiannon rage": she completely bends her knees and open her hands like claws toward the audience, first to the right, then to the left and lastly she claws upwards while crouching down.

16 Stevie demands "Take me to the sky" with a sinuous hand gesture, continuing to sing like she wants to eat the microphone. Slowly rising, she stares at the audience with fiery eyes, rithmically opening and closing her hand along her "Dream on" screams.

17 Now exhausted, Stevie collapse on her side with her arm still on the microphone's stand waiting for her last moment. Mick is frantically beating the drums, we hear her last cry while she slowly appears on the screen with her strained face and abandons the microphone stand. Mick closes the song, Stevie rises to thank the audience in a swirl of black.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-04-2015 at 08:31 AM..