Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie

What is everyone's take on why she is so hesitant about going into the studio to record?I thought this was what she was waiting for(chris's return).
Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Folks have been speculating about this in various other threads. I think the easiest answer is she isn't needed yet- Lindsey & Christine are fleshing out songs right now as musicians. Since Stevie's only a vocalist, and vocals aren't laid down until the very end, so she's probably not needed at the moment.

There's also the possibility she's writing/demo-ing some new songs to bring to the table right now, too. She always does this type of stuff outside of Fleetwood Mac so she has something with some sort of framework to present to the band.

There's also the possibility Stevie & her management are hemming & hawing over details- things like what cut she'll get of any album or touring revenue. Or more likely- who will produce her songs for this record. Maybe Stevie is holding off the producer decision until she hears what Lindsey does with Christine's new songs.

The options are endless, really.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
What is everyone's take on why she is so hesitant about going into the studio to record?I thought this was what she was waiting for(chris's return).
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Folks have been speculating about this in various other threads. I think the easiest answer is she isn't needed yet- Lindsey & Christine are fleshing out songs right now as musicians. Since Stevie's only a vocalist, and vocals aren't laid down until the very end, so she's probably not needed at the moment.

There's also the possibility she's writing/demo-ing some new songs to bring to the table right now, too. She always does this type of stuff outside of Fleetwood Mac so she has something with some sort of framework to present to the band.

There's also the possibility Stevie & her management are hemming & hawing over details- things like what cut she'll get of any album or touring revenue. Or more likely- who will produce her songs for this record. Maybe Stevie is holding off the producer decision until she hears what Lindsey does with Christine's new songs.

The options are endless, really.
It could be anything from a little harmless drama designed to get people talking to something major...Yes Stevie has always said she missed Christine and hoped she would return but what else could she say? So even if she & LB would have preferred FM remain a 4 piece Stevie saying/admitting she would rather CM not return probably would not have gone over very well with the fans now would it.. As far as recording is concerned Stevie has been saying "NO NEW FM RECORDING" for years...It's possible something happened during the "Say You Will" era that caused Stevie to tell FM "Never again" From here on out I'll tour but I won't record...It could be related to something Mick did on a financial or contractual level but I would think if there is an issue with recording it's with LB...Stevie has been dropping little bread crumbs here and there suggesting where she is at with working on new music...In the "In Your Dreams" doc there are a few clues...The biggest thing I get from Stevie is she want's someone to work with her to nurture & grow her songs (Dave) as opposed to someone telling her how her songs should be or how they (LB) want them to be so they fit his artistic vision of the band... LB saying that "Stevie is unsure how to approach recording with FM" could be anything...
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
It could be anything from a little harmless drama designed to get people talking to something major...Yes Stevie has always said she missed Christine and hoped she would return but what else could she say? So even if she & LB would have preferred FM remain a 4 piece Stevie saying/admitting she would rather CM not return probably would not have gone over very well with the fans now would it.. As far as recording is concerned Stevie has been saying "NO NEW FM RECORDING" for years...It's possible something happened during the "Say You Will" era that caused Stevie to tell FM "Never again" From here on out I'll tour but I won't record...It could be related to something Mick did on a financial or contractual level but I would think if there is an issue with recording it's with LB...Stevie has been dropping little bread crumbs here and there suggesting where she is at with working on new music...In the "In Your Dreams" doc there are a few clues...The biggest thing I get from Stevie is she want's someone to work with her to nurture & grow her songs (Dave) as opposed to someone telling her how her songs should be or how they (LB) want them to be so they fit his artistic vision of the band... LB saying that "Stevie is unsure how to approach recording with FM" could be anything...
I highly doubt she would email Christine asking her to come back and then offer 5mil if that was just something to say. She said it way too much for me to believe that. Both LB and SN need CM's relief. Stevie's lack of wanting to record has always been mostly directed at LB.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Registered

wouldn't her philosophy of the music industry is dead and no one buys music just steals it carry over to her feelings of recording with Fleetwood mac .
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
wouldn't her philosophy of the music industry is dead and no one buys music just steals it carry over to her feelings of recording with Fleetwood mac .
These are my thoughts as well. The LB quotes lead me to believe she's not sure where she is with all this.

I have to believe with a tour and the right marketing, dropping an album will be great for FMac. Let's hope someone can convince her.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes I might sound like a broken record."Pun intended"

I can add no radio airplay.SYW had excellent radio airplay 10 years ago.
She seen already with IYD with no radio airplay.Probably had little airplay on college stations.

Nevermind the bickering involve in the process in the studio.

I cant blame her.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Yes but she recorded "IYD"...I think her objection to recording with FM has more to do with LB working on her songs that the state of the music industry...
Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

What makes us think she is hesitant? Did I miss something? How do we know she isn't at work with them right now?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurarox View Post
What makes us think she is hesitant? Did I miss something? How do we know she isn't at work with them right now?
In an interview with USA Today Lindsey said Stevie was still trying to figure out how/when she wanted to approach recording and that they hadn't done anything of hers yet.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Yes but she recorded "IYD"...I think her objection to recording with FM has more to do with LB working on her songs that the state of the music industry...
I'm kind of getting this feeling too. Why does she feel that way? SYW?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's prob walking the line between- man, I really DO NOT want to upset him... and I really DO NOT want him working on my stuff.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
These are my thoughts as well. The LB quotes lead me to believe she's not sure where she is with all this.
I agree. if she was waiting until she was needed or working on demos, Lindsey would have said that and not been so vague. They don't have a plan yet -- or they don't have an agreed upon plan.

She needs to just do her own songs with her own chosen producer and then bring them to FM. I don't care if her stuff doesn't sound like the rest of the album. At this point, it's not worth the hold up. An album with 2/3 FM and 1/3 Stevie is better than no album and if it reduces friction so much the better. Michele
Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
In an interview with USA Today Lindsey said Stevie was still trying to figure out how/when she wanted to approach recording and that they hadn't done anything of hers yet.

This article is a couple of weeks old. She could be recording for all we know. When she went into record the EP stuff it was many weeks later that we were in the no.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
Hopefully, the fans who think Stevie is just waiting for the right time to show up are correct. Really, if she was in the studio with Lindsey and Christine now, she’d probably be bored to tears.

On the other hand, if she really wants to be part owner [creatively, not legally] of this new music, her input at this early stage is valuable. This is her chance to say her piece now before the songs are too set in stone. She’s talked at length about how involved she was with Dave in the creation of her last record. She can be as involved in the new FM music as she attempts to be.

I just wish they'd work it out. But wow…how can that happen? I say that because I just watched DESTINY RULES for the first time. It was a shockingly frustrating look into the making of SAY YOU WILL.

I'm mostly a fan of the band's music. That’s what I enjoy the most. I've not read any of the books about the band. I've seen the making of RUMOURS documentary, but it wasn't as much of a fly on the wall, present-for-the-sessions kind of thing like DESTINY RULES. I read interviews with them, but that's mostly it for me.

So DESTINY RULES was a huge shock. It made me wonder how they ever get anything done. And it makes me wonder why any of them would want to do it again. This was a perfect example---it says so much about the dynamic between Stevie and Lindsey:

[Discussing who will mix SAY YOU WILL. They had narrowed it down to two options…]

SN: I just wish that we had more choices.

LB: [pause] I guess. It almost seems like we have too many already.

I wouldn’t have blamed either of them if they’d grabbed the nearest loose object and pounded the other with it! How did Stevie NOT scream at him when he said that? Up until I saw DESTINY RULES, I always thought to myself, "Why can't Stevie just show up, stop being a diva, and just work?" Having seen the film, I really don’t blame her for being hesitant to go back to the studio. Lindsey seems remarkably inflexible when it comes to working in the studio. I mean, I think most of the time, he makes great production choices. For example, “Thrown Down” was a very good song based on Stevie’s demos, but his production made it a great song [although I’m not sure Stevie would agree with that statement]. But he really lords over that mixing desk, doesn’t he? He clearly thinks his views on recording matter most. He makes no secret of it.

Lindsey certainly doesn’t look very happy in the film, either. I can see both of their sides, for instance, during the conversation about Stevie’s lyrics to “Thrown Down.” He’s right---she changes from first to third person. It’s a strange approach for a lyricist. But Stevie doesn’t let things like proper grammar fence her in. She makes the whole Dylan argument, which has merit, but really? Dylan? She’s comparing herself to a guy who’s arguably the best songwriter in rock history? She’s no Dylan, and neither is Lindsey. In her defense, though, did she get a chance to break down Lindsey’s lyrics? Because he’s written some clunkers over the years, too.

They have spent decades refining their respective abilities to push each other’s buttons, and they are just too good at it not to do it. And that has to be a remarkably frustrating experience for them both. They each clearly wanted something different from SAY YOU WILL. Or maybe, in some bizarre way, they wanted to arrive at the same place, but they wanted to get there going down different paths. Either way, it’s a miracle that the record was even finished.

Which brings us back to the new sessions. Hopefully, Christine’s presence will make things more comfortable for Stevie and Lindsey, which would in turn make the process more bearable for John and Mick, too. [They both looked so helpless in DESTINY RULES, like there was a hurricane blowing in the room, and all they could do was stay firmly seated or risk being swept away by all that hot air generated by Stevie and Lindsey.]

I'm mostly a Lindsey fan, but I think the chemistry that the band has is sorely missed on most of Lindsey's [and Stevie's and Christine's] solo music. The ideal situation, to me, is for all the band members to be involved in the whole process…even Stevie. So, yes, I hope she shows up, and I hope she brings some great songs. I don’t care if they’re 25-year-old leftovers. I don’t care if she wrote them in the car on the way to the studio. As long as they’re good.

I can't put into words how excited I am to read about the sessions involving Lindsey and Christine. Lindsey’s statements have been very positive, but Christine’s have been truly encouraging and inspirational. I still think money is playing a much bigger role in the reunion for several of the band members, and I’m sure it’s at least a concern for them all, but Christine seems to genuinely want to be in this moment with the band. She’s having a blast, and she’s saying so.

I can only hope that her attitude spills over and affects the rest of the band. It could win Stevie over and make her feel like she has an ally, because we all know Christine has no problem calling a spade a spade. But Christine can also help Lindsey defend his side of things, too. I’ve always thought of her as the glue for this band, and she can still be that. No pressure, Ms. McVie. *wink*

She is really the wild card here, and I think Christine will be the key to getting Stevie involved at some point. I really do think it’s going to happen. But if Stevie chooses not to show up, well…I’m perfectly fine with an album featuring Christine and Lindsey, and then Stevie can join for the tour.

matt