User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I bet BTLH, as they had recorded it in the studio at the time prior to The Dance, was not much different than the version on SYW. They probably changed it up for the live version on the Dance.
yeah i think so too. the first version i heard of it was GOS1, and that's the version i usually listen to. SYW is pretty similar to it (but i think maybe Chris' vocals are lower in the mix?). so GOS1 is my favorite version, other than the OMS and his half-baked request versions from UTS tour. i don't even know the dance version that well, although i own that DVD. i don't remember anything about it being that special. i guess it's just that people get used to whatever they hear first, or it holds special memories for them.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mein Gott, lot of critics to lot of songs I love!!!!!!! Hahaha anyway, I agree with other few things. Well, I've got some moments that for me bring down good songs.

- Yes, the intro of In the back of my mind. We're talking about 2 minutes of...NOTHING!!!!!!

- The "phone" voices on the SYW album. It's ok, lot of bands used voice effects like that in the 90s and 00s, but there's too much voices that sounded like on the phone, on the same record!!

- Stevie's backing vocals on Lindsey songs, also in SYW. I was listening to it, and for example in WTWCT, she sounds like a girl without wanting to sing.

- Lindsey's voice on the studio version of I'm So Afraid. So pitched, sharp, high, I don't know how can I say it!!

- Stevie screaming "Chaaaaaaaain keep us together!!" at the end of The Chain...And her screams in the '82 live version at the end of every chorus!!!!

- The "lot of Lindseys" singing on The Ledge. One of them is lost, definitely.

- The "I don't think you do" or something like that on Rhiannon too...

- The guitar solo at the end of Murrow. What's he playing?? How many guitars are there??

- What is not a guitar on Say Goodbye. Percussion maybe? It sounds weird.

- The long end of Crystal.

I'm bad, I know I know...

Last edited by moon; 04-07-2014 at 03:02 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

This is a fascinating discussion to me because, for the most part, I either like a song or I don't, and there's not really a "moment" that, if changed, would make me love a song that I otherwise don't like.

Having said that...

I fell in love with "Bleed to Love Her" the first time I heard it. The main finger-picked guitar line is among my favorite parts that Lindsey has ever written. In fact, I think I'd love the song as much even if it had no lyrics or vocals. [Is there an instrumental version out there?]

But for me, the studio recordings [SYW, GOS1] suffer from an unbearable snare drum sound. To me, it is perhaps Lindsey's worst prodcution decision...ever. The rest of the song has lovely acoustic guitars, layered percussion, etc., but they are destroyed by a noisy, over-processed snare.

Tragic.

matt
Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

I can't stand the SYW version of Steal Your Heart Away. The original vocals (with Christine) were great. Quieting those and pumping up Stevie's just killed the song.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

- The "phone" voices on the SYW album. It's ok, lot of bands used voice effects like that in the 90s and 00s, but there's too much voices that sounded like on the phone, on the same record!!
Yes, this is a phenomenon that I had not thought to put a name to before. The echo, the "phone." For me it stands out at the beginning of EFO. It works because it is distancing. To me it's almost clinical, like doctors are standing at a distance talking about her. Maybe they are studying her through a partition. Watching her decline.

So, it is a strange gimmick, but it worked on that song. I don't think it should be littered all over the album though.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 04-08-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The "phone" voice is perfect on EFO, she is playing several roles in the song and the phone voice is meant to actually simulate one character talking on the phone about someone else's self-destructive affair.