User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
are you sure "steve" is a real person ... and not really an "i" short of STEVIE ...
Now wouldn’t that be the plot twist to end all Fleetwood Mac plot twists!
Old 12-31-2018, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Yeah I guess I don't understand this whole "get over it" comment. I can't imagine this same group of posters getting over it if they decided to fire Stevie in 2012 (or in 2018). Their next step is to characterize everyone who hasn't gotten over it as some sort of "Lindsey superfan," and while that is the case for some people, I think it's a pretty broad label to apply. I am a Fleetwood Mac fan first and foremost - I've long considered the fivesome to be significantly superior together than any have been without the others. I am not ready to just "get over it" and it has nothing to do with me taking sides in the Lindsey vs. Stevie ridiculousness. It has to do with the fact that my favorite band is now parading around the country with two new members who have nothing to do with the band's catalog because the remaining band members felt one of the five was simply replaceable. And the fact that they can go out with the Fleetwood Mac brand and play to large crowds with basically anybody with ability playing and singing Lindsey's part says more about the fanbase than anything else. I don't want to see anybody replacing any of these people in Fleetwood Mac at this point in time.

This has not taken over my existence as some of the posters would imply when these threads inevitably keep showing up - my life is just fine and generally not impacted in any way by the shenanigans of Fleetwood Mac (aside from saving money). But when I come to The Ledge, I sure as hell am not just going to ignore the gigantic elephant in the room - this is where I come to talk to other rabid Fleetwood Mac fans about what's going on in Fleetwood Mac. Quite honestly, Lindsey being fired is the most insane and newsworthy thing to happen since The Dance. I suspect this "little" topic will define most rabid FM fan conversations for a long time.
I agree and would take it a step further it will be the epitaph on the band. Rumours 5 was the most successful lineup of the band--it what was meant to be a successful farewell tour--they fired one of the 5. Even if they were to record with Mike and Neil--I do believe the news of LB's firing will really be the final story.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I agree and would take it a step further it will be the epitaph on the band. Rumours 5 was the most successful lineup of the band--it what was meant to be a successful farewell tour--they fired one of the 5. Even if they were to record with Mike and Neil--I do believe the news of LB's firing will really be the final story.
Completely agree. No matter what happens what people will remember is the firing of Lindsey. They won't fondly recall any or all tours or new albums. What will be remembered is his firing. Any new music they make will be compared to what Lindsey produced on previous efforts.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Yeah I guess I don't understand this whole "get over it" comment. I can't imagine this same group of posters getting over it if they decided to fire Stevie in 2012 (or in 2018). Their next step is to characterize everyone who hasn't gotten over it as some sort of "Lindsey superfan," and while that is the case for some people, I think it's a pretty broad label to apply. I am a Fleetwood Mac fan first and foremost - I've long considered the fivesome to be significantly superior together than any have been without the others. I am not ready to just "get over it" and it has nothing to do with me taking sides in the Lindsey vs. Stevie ridiculousness. It has to do with the fact that my favorite band is now parading around the country with two new members who have nothing to do with the band's catalog because the remaining band members felt one of the five was simply replaceable. And the fact that they can go out with the Fleetwood Mac brand and play to large crowds with basically anybody with ability playing and singing Lindsey's part says more about the fanbase than anything else. I don't want to see anybody replacing any of these people in Fleetwood Mac at this point in time.

This has not taken over my existence as some of the posters would imply when these threads inevitably keep showing up - my life is just fine and generally not impacted in any way by the shenanigans of Fleetwood Mac (aside from saving money). But when I come to The Ledge, I sure as hell am not just going to ignore the gigantic elephant in the room - this is where I come to talk to other rabid Fleetwood Mac fans about what's going on in Fleetwood Mac. Quite honestly, Lindsey being fired is the most insane and newsworthy thing to happen since The Dance. I suspect this "little" topic will define most rabid FM fan conversations for a long time.

I agree. I am a rabid FM fan and I don't like how people assume that just because I support Lindsey that I am some rabid Lindsey who hates the other members of FM because I don't. I am mad at SN for what happened but I don't hate her. Ticket sales haven't been great by FM standards. If people from crappy seats are being moved up to much better seats what does that tell you.

His firing isn't going to ruin my life or anything. I know there are bigger problems in the world but this still bugs me. I come here to have rational discussions on his firing.

Social Media is very bad though as the endless FM groups etc have tons of crazed SN fans. They are bat**** crazy and defend her to the ends of the earth. They have an excuse for everything and Lindsey is to blame for everything.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
SN name fills half of the arena, FM brand fills the other half.

no-brand-name Buckingham McVie filled 3-5000 sheds same way as current FM is filling arenas (ie having somewhat of a hard time, same as Nicks / Pretenders girl-power-bill was having somewhat of a hard time filling arenas).

so while Nicks name is the only recognizable among the classic 5 in the US, let's stay real. saying FM brand would barely fill 1k seaters is a complete and utter bs and people throw that out there just to belittle the band.

plus, it always surprises me how some fans here seem to take the stand of what's best for the band /managers, and not what's best for the fans. y'all want to pay through the nose for a boring GH arena show, instead of seing your favorite in a more intimate setting doing more of their interesting deep cuts or new songs. i will never understand that. i will always prefer LB solo than LB with FM, there are so many more interesting tracks i can hear from him solo, plus he is so much more free to go off the cuff in that setting. lucky for fans like me, it looks like he's NGBA!
Elle, mistakenly, and for a long time too, I believed that Lindsey solo was all paranoid noise like Murrow and Go Insane (acoustic) and I'm So Afraid. Then he got fired from the band and released what is now my favourite solo collection of any member of this band. Favourites: Don't Look Down, Go Insane (album version), Hunger, Ride This Road, It's Not Too Late... all fantastic.

The 2013 love fest "Without You" tour was not a sham, in my view. Something changed and not just his so-called hateful smirk at Music Cares. Not just his disdain for the intro music being a Stevie Nicks song. I really think they had a major falling out ...maybe about the boring setlists and he didn't want to include stuff like Oh Well (Remember Mick said they would play Oh Well on 2013 European leg, then they never did) or Black Magic Woman, or Free Fallin' Tom Petty tribute. This is a major point of difference between the last 2014-15 tour and the 2018-19 tour... blues music has finally been included again, and a lot of new and older fans are very happy about that.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
The 2013 love fest "Without You" tour was not a sham, in my view. Something changed and not just his so-called hateful smirk at Music Cares. Not just his disdain for the intro music being a Stevie Nicks song. I really think they had a major falling out ...maybe about the boring setlists and he didn't want to include stuff like Oh Well (Remember Mick said they would play Oh Well on 2013 European leg, then they never did) or Black Magic Woman, or Free Fallin' Tom Petty tribute. This is a major point of difference between the last 2014-15 tour and the 2018-19 tour... blues music has finally been included again, and a lot of new and older fans are very happy about that.
I don't think that that particular setlist with songs like Oh, Well or Black Magic Woman was the setlist in mind while Lindsey was still in the band. Those songs were included after Lindsey was fired.

I think his firing was much more simple and it had more to do with Stevie and her dislike of his behavior than with the dynamic of the band.

Happy New Year!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I don't think that that particular setlist with songs like Oh, Well or Black Magic Woman was the setlist in mind while Lindsey was still in the band. Those songs were included after Lindsey was fired.
They were talking about doing the more obscure stuff back in August, 2017.

Doing “Black Magic Woman” and “All Over Again” were all Stevie’s idea.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
What a misrepresentation. Poor Lindsey, doesn't have a pianist. Because pianists are such a rare breed these days. I mean, nobody plays piano anymore. Oh wait, what's that my friend is telling me? Even Stevie Nicks plays piano! And how could I forget? I also play piano! And Lindsey Buckingham plays it too. And so many others.
"There's just no way we could be doing this without him."–Lindsey Buckingham on Brett Tuggle, band introductions 11/28/18