The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Uh, if Murrow and Come weren't on there, I'd be hella pissed. And you can keep this version of Bleed to Love Her. I mean, keep it to yourself, off the album.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Uh, if Murrow and Come weren't on there, I'd be hella pissed. And you can keep this version of Bleed to Love Her. I mean, keep it to yourself, off the album.
As I said, I would miss a few songs. I personally think "Murrow" and "Come" would have been better kept on a Lindsey solo album, where being oddball is a good thing. If we could move Lindsey's Mac and solo songs around for this album, I personally would have put "Down On Rodeo" over BTLH, "Murrow," AND "Come." But, the ONE reason to keep BTLH, especially this version, is that it's one of only two that features Christine's vocals. I think they need to keep it as close to the Big Mac as possible.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
To address the topic of this thread (which I did not do), I don't think FM would have had the same level of success without Stevie and Lindsey.
A point that I haven't disagreed with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
I have a feeling that Chris & John would have divorced and that would have been the end of it. I'm sure that Mick and John would have continued in some fashion, but it wouldn't have been successful.
I don't know if Chris and John would have divorced. They might have wanted to, but I think one reason they stayed together for so long is that both were financially dependent on one another. Because once there was money, Chris was gone!

Now, if Mick and John continued, which I'm sure they would have, I too doubt that it would have been very successful. However, I think a lot of it depends on who they got. I COULD easily see a situation where Clapton would have joined them to take pressure off of him, as he was still in a fragile place in 1975. He had only made his comeback a year earlier, and was having some difficulites playing star. Being in an actual band COULD have eased some of the burdons a bit. Mick and John, by 1975, were as versitle in musical styles as Clapton, so they could do whatever he needed musically speaking, so it COULD have easily worked out and been huge. I doubt it would have been on the same level as "Rumours," but then how many studio albums really were? There are only a handful that have sold more than "Rumours," so it's safe to say that it's mostly the exception.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
But, the ONE reason to keep BTLH, especially this version, is that it's one of only two that features Christine's vocals. I think they need to keep it as close to the Big Mac as possible.
I don't want anything on Lindsey's solo records, because that means I will never hear it. And I think just because Christine is on BTLH is a poor reason to keep a poor version of a good song on an album when it was just on their last album. So christine is on it, so what? It's still a sucky repeat. IMO.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know if Chris and John would have divorced. They might have wanted to, but I think one reason they stayed together for so long is that both were financially dependent on one another. Because once there was money, Chris was gone!
LOL well, yes, sort of. However it's also true that she did initially only file for a legal separation-- defined in part as:

"Legal separation is a formal judgment issued by a court of law that all the issues concerning a marriage have been resolved (including distribution of property, attorney fees, and personal conduct) with the exception of marital status...A legal separation is desired to set the parameters for dealing with one another while living separate and apart while maintaining the status of being married, and leaving the door open for a reunion/resumption of marriage. Legal separation is not a prerequisite to divorce (dissolution of marriage)."

So this basically shows that Chris was apparently well aware of the $ that was now flowing in to a marriage that was (and had been) rocky for some time. Hence she figured it probably made sense to split what they had sooner rather than later, "just in case"-- and when they did actually divorce, the fact that $ was not really an issue must have made things a bit easier.

However it might also be noted that she could have just filed for divorce right off the bat, but she didn't.
-Lis
Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I don't want anything on Lindsey's solo records, because that means I will never hear it. And I think just because Christine is on BTLH is a poor reason to keep a poor version of a good song on an album when it was just on their last album. So christine is on it, so what? It's still a sucky repeat. IMO.
Yeah, I totally agree. The inclusion of that song was a lame decision.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
LOL well, yes, sort of. However it's also true that she did initially only file for a legal separation-- defined in part as:

"Legal separation is a formal judgment issued by a court of law that all the issues concerning a marriage have been resolved (including distribution of property, attorney fees, and personal conduct) with the exception of marital status...A legal separation is desired to set the parameters for dealing with one another while living separate and apart while maintaining the status of being married, and leaving the door open for a reunion/resumption of marriage. Legal separation is not a prerequisite to divorce (dissolution of marriage)."

So this basically shows that Chris was apparently well aware of the $ that was now flowing in to a marriage that was (and had been) rocky for some time. Hence she figured it probably made sense to split what they had sooner rather than later, "just in case"-- and when they did actually divorce, the fact that $ was not really an issue must have made things a bit easier.

However it might also be noted that she could have just filed for divorce right off the bat, but she didn't.
-Lis
I never thought about that. I guess that means that John didn't get a share of her Rumours income(which was huge) since she filed for a separation in 1975, but didn't get divorced until 1978. That's pretty shrewd. Remember in the Q & A, John made a somewhat joking reference to the lack of a pre-nuptial agreement?
Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I never thought about that. I guess that means that John didn't get a share of her Rumours income(which was huge) since she filed for a separation in 1975, but didn't get divorced until 1978. That's pretty shrewd.
I suppose she might be called a sound financial planner. I think they split the proceeds from the house, and I guess whatever was in the bank...which was probably not all that much, compared to the fortune she later made from her songwriting royalties. I think I've heard that w/ CA law at that time it took about a year for a divorce to become final (but I'm not sure if this is true?) but if it is, then she filed for divorce just around the release of Rumours, in early 1977-- after a pretty long (about 18 mos) 'legal separation'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Remember in the Q & A, John made a somewhat joking reference to the lack of a pre-nuptial agreement?

Yeah, he did indeed. When they got married, HE was the star w/ the bigger bank account! Although his other comment about 'You want a what?' struck me as more sad than funny, when you think about what he was referring to.

-Lis
Old 06-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I tend to agree that SYW was too long. They could have EASILY cut it down to twelve songs, and it would have been much more cohesive album that one could listen to in one sitting. I think they forgot that sometimes less is more. On a purely pop basis, here are the songs I would have released, only because they're the kind of songs that stick in one's head after a couple of listenings, which is exactly what makes for a great pop album:

You people who want to cut down SYW are weird.

You really wish we got less songs? I want all the tunes I can get. There's always the skip button for the ones I don't like (which is none).

You do realise that album has probably got to do us for the next 10 years?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost

You really wish we got less songs? I want all the tunes I can get. There's always the skip button for the ones I don't like (which is none).
The album was too much at once and it just didn't flow well. I think the band should have released SYW as I suggested (maybe with "Down On Rodeo" replacing "Bleed...") and then release a second album about a year later (which would include "Bleed..." so that Chris would still get a credit on the ablum). It's not like they didn't have the material in the can already. This would have satisfied Lindsey's desire to do a double album, while still being practical. It could have even made their tour somewhat more interesting. In the end, we would have had two new Mac albums that would have each been just right in length with better flow between songs.
Quote:
You do realise that album has probably got to do us for the next 10 years?
Hence why I wish they would have done the above suggestion.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The album was too much at once and it just didn't flow well.
I respectfully disagree. The album is perfect as it is.
I also don't think if they had decided to cut more songs from SYW we'd see them so soon (if at all) in the form of a second album.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I tend to agree that SYW was too long. They could have EASILY cut it down to twelve songs, and it would have been much more cohesive album that one could listen to in one sitting. I think they forgot that sometimes less is more. On a purely pop basis, here are the songs I would have released, only because they're the kind of songs that stick in one's head after a couple of listenings, which is exactly what makes for a great pop album:

What's The World Coming To
Thrown Down
Miranda
Say You Will
Peacekeeper
Destiny Rules
Smile At You
Steal Your Heart Away
Running Through The Garden
Bleed To Love Her
Say Goodbye
Goodbye Baby

While I would personally miss a few songs (like "Come"), I think that the above is a much stronger album overall than what was released.

I agree that SYW could've been shorter (one of the common themes of every review of the album), but I think a lot also had to do with its tracking order.

As for the "shortened" version, I differ as to WHICH songs should've/could've been cut. Some of Lindsey's "quirky" should stay.

My "12" (and running order):

Say You Will
Red Rover
Thrown Down
Come
Smile At You
Steal Your Heart Away

Peacekeeper
Illume
Murrow
Destiny Rules
Bleed To Love Her
Goodbye Baby
Old 06-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree!
But I understand the problems with the running order. I'm still convinced that that got all mixed up in the single-double-album-war. I really believe that SYW would have been a fabulous album in "albumfeel" if they could have cut it up in two discs with 11/12 songs each.....

but released as one package, stevemacd!

Last edited by shackin'up; 06-01-2005 at 09:23 AM..
Old 06-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
I agree!
But I understand the problems with the running order. I'm still convinced that that got all mixed up in the single-double-album-war. I really believe that SYW would have been a fabulous album in "albumfeel" if they could have cut it up in two discs with 11/12 songs each.....

but released as one package, stevemacd!

First of all "Miranda" "Illume" "Silver Girl" suck

What's the world coming to
Say You Will
Peacekeeper
Thrown Down
Murrow
Smile At You
Running Through the Garden
Steel Your Heart Away
Bleed to love her
Red Rover
Everybody finds out
Destiny Rules
Say Goodbye
Goodbye Baby
Old 06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny4406
First of all "Miranda" "Illume" "Silver Girl" suck
No they don't. And there's plenty here who agree with me.
Fine if you think the running order could be improved or that it would work better as two albums, but, I must say, it's not a particularly great argument just to say the band should cut the songs you don't like