Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Yeah, So I Think I've Decided I Want To Be A Novelist!!!!

So what do you all think about this? I really can see myself making up stories that captivate people for a living. I mean, If I'm able to do it at 16, that is a good sign........

What do you all think?

Much Love,
Ethan
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly? I think talking and thinking about becoming a novelist is much, much easier than actually being one.

But if writing is your all-consuming passion, if it's what you live for, if you cannot wait to get home from school to write more, and more, and if you think your life will end if you cannot write down one more story, one more plot development, one more character's growth and change, then yes maybe, you will be that artist one day whose literary prose I cannot wait to devour!

Have you joined a writer's circle yet? are you looking into classes? Does your school have a literary journal that you can submit prose and poetry to for review and feedback... and maybe see your work in print that way?

Are you looking into schools with good English programs? And MFA in Creative Writing programs? Some colleges have "real" some even pullitzer-prize winning authors in residence... Imagine taking writing classes from THOSE !

Steps like that... reading good books and writing all the time, finding your "voice", submitting work for feedback and criticism..... will help you on the road to working towards your dream.

Sasja

Old 02-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Addendum: the story you are working on now, have you submitted some chapters yet for review? What are fellow writers' comments? Or teacher's comments?

Sas

Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
Addendum: the story you are working on now, have you submitted some chapters yet for review? What are fellow writers' comments? Or teacher's comments?

Sas
I am currently trying to type on a regular basis what I have written. I have written a couple of chapters and only typed a few pages, but I am working that into my extreme homework regimine. Then, I will have my English teacher review my book, chapter by chapter (as I finish typing one, I will give it to her) and there is another teacher who has shown interest in reading my work as well....

Thank you for the analysis Sasja, I appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sasja is right to say how important it is to learn your craft. I guess the same applies whatever job you do. If you’re going to write well, you have to read quality authors who produce work with some variety and depth. There has been a long list of American authors who have a really strong body of work including – Mark Twain, Henry James, F Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, James Baldwin and more recently Richard Ford. All wrote superb short stories and brilliant novels.

Without starting a debate about the relative merits of your favourite ‘author’ – read Henry James and F Scott Fitzgerald – I think they encapsulate everything that writing in the English language is about.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
Sasja is right to say how important it is to learn your craft. I guess the same applies whatever job you do. If you’re going to write well, you have to read quality authors who produce work with some variety and depth. There has been a long list of American authors who have a really strong body of work including – Mark Twain, Henry James, F Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, James Baldwin and more recently Richard Ford. All wrote superb short stories and brilliant novels.

Without starting a debate about the relative merits of your favourite ‘author’ – read Henry James and F Scott Fitzgerald – I think they encapsulate everything that writing in the English language is about.

YES YES YES!! I could not agree more!! You NEED to read these artists, Ethan. NEED TO. I mean yes, pulp fiction may be fun to read or write, but even writing "good" pulp, written in an at least half-way tolerable style that does not make you hate the book and not even see the story, requires that you have a GOOD feel for creative and melodic and beautiful language and style.

Read the artists that wrote the most beautiful style and go from there. I cannot stress that enough. There's plenty horrible writing out there in the world already, some of it even published, brrrr... Don't join those ranks. Strive to be the REAL DEAL.

Sasja

Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post

Yeah, we just got done reading Great Gatsby in class. Very good book.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dear god make it stop.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
Dear god make it stop.
It's God's punishment... we were bad people
Old 02-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dear god make it stop.
Why? I was just about to ask what happened to his musical career.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Why? I was just about to ask what happened to his musical career.
HEY! It's Tuesday! Helllllooooooooooo, did you lose your program?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dear god make it stop.
Watch it now Michelle.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
HEY! It's Tuesday! Helllllooooooooooo, did you lose your program?
I'm sorry I thought Tuesday was Rodeo Clown day...I'm so lost on which career aspirations go with which day. It's hard to keep up you know!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
Watch it now Michelle.
are you threatening me? For your sake i sure hope not.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
I'm sorry I thought Tuesday was Rodeo Clown day...I'm so lost on which career aspirations go with which day. It's hard to keep up you know!
No, no, no! Wednesday is Rodeo Clown day! You should see the new barrel I bought for tomorrow!

By official proclamation, Tuesday has been "Ethan wants to be a novel novelist" day, for quite some time.

It's all about ME.