User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Phony as a $3 bill. That's about right.

First of all, one poster above argued that turn about is fair play. Lindsey dissed Carol Ann in songs, so she is justified in telling tales out of school, as it were. I respectfully disagree. Why? Well, it's like this. Her revelations about his physical abuse/violence, self destructive drug usage and his lack of concern for/about his break-up with Stevie are not in the same category as L.B.'s observations about Ms. Harris' character flaws and their inability to get along.

Secondly, her motivation is not to be helpful but to be hurtful and if she makes a buck in the process all the better. If you truly care about someone you talk to them, not about them; especially after they willingly (i.e., There was no palimony law suit filed.) paid for your rehab and bought you a house (as he reportedly did) following their break-up. Did Ms. Harris reciprocate in kind? And, the answer is obviously no or she wouldn't be trying to make a buck now. She is a taker and a user like a lot of hangers on in any profession (but especially the entertainment industry) are. These people live vicariously through their artistic paramour. Their talent lies not in their god given talents but in their delusions through their illusions of grandeur.

And, lastly she was not in the band nor worked for or with the band so what she is reporting is gossip/second hand news. Mick can reveal what ever he wants to about FWM, for what ever reasons he wants to, because he is not only in the band, he co-founded the band, so his observations are first hand accountings not second hand gossip from some wanna be who got dumped.

And, a personal aside. If L.B. really wanted to marry her, rest assured they would have married 20 years ago. I'm not buying the b.s. that she turned him down twice. No woman, young or otherwise, invests 7 years in a relationship, without expecting marriage for financial security, if nothing else. And, this woman does not strike me as a loving, free spirited hippie-chick who gave without regards for nothing in return. That sounds more like Stevie. Storms indeed.

CarolC
Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A little bit inside Storms

excerpt from Storms: My Life With Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris, 2007:

starting at page 105, as Carol Ann Harris finds Lindsey beginning to have a grand mal seizure in front of her-

"Before I could speak again, before I could touch him, he fell to the floor and started to convulse. He kicked and thrashed, his eyes beseeching me for help, and I didn't know what to do. I threw myself onto the floor next to him and tried to hold his shaking body still, but he seemed as strong as ten men and I was thrown backward, hitting my head on the edge of the coffee table. . . .

Richard! Help us, Richard! Richard, help! Lindsey's dying! Richard, help me!

. . .

After what seemed in eternity I heard a voice say "Front desk," and I yelled shrilly into the receiver, "Get an ambulance for room 7322! Lindsey Buckingham needs paramedics and an ambulance! Now!" [Philadelphia didn't have 911 yet]

. . . "Carol, what's happening? What's wrong with Lindsey?"

I looked up to see Richard standing shirtless in the doorway, staring in horror at Lindsey twisting and turning on the floor. "My God! Lindsey! Carol, I heard your voice. I thought I was dreaming, but when I woke up I could still hear you screaming! What's happening to him, Carol? What's wrong with him?"

. . . I don't know what's wrong. He's had flashes and I thought it was just another one and then he fell, and he started shaking and I can't make him stop, Richard. He won't stop- and I think he might die and I need help . . . .

"Is he going to be okay? Are you taking him to the hospital now?"

"Ma'am, we've been told that a doctor has been called. We want to take him to the hospital- it's just across the street- but Mr. Fleetwood says to wait for the doctor, so that's what we are doing."

Looking at Richard for help I started to plead. "Richard. Tell them he has to go to the hospital- you saw how horrible it was! Richard, tell them!" Richard looked about to speak but then shook his head and stared at the floor. His face was almost as white as Lindsey's and I knew that he, too, couldn't believe that the band and the powers that be were putting the show first over Lindsey's ghastly attack.

Without meeting my eyes Mick told methat it was best to wait for the doctor. Talking to me like I was a child, he said that the show was huge and it was too late to cancel it. And anyway, maybe Lindsey would be "fine" when he woke up. He wanted to ask Lindsey if he thought he could play after his "little attack."
----------
Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The way I see it, Lindsey has quite an effect on the women .... Steve still writes about him in her songs, Carol Ann writes a book about him, remembering all sorts of things from many years ago .... more reason why I want to date that man!

But I also take the book with a grain of salt. The third page of the Introduction (page x) is where I began to have my doubts ... where she writes how Stevie's songs on Rumours, "Dreams" and "I Don't Want to Know" were much kinder towards LB than he was to her on say, GYOW. Stevie didn't even write IDWTK during their breakup ..... (right? I mean, they sing it on the BN tour for crying out loud!)
Old 06-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Yes, he has said about both relationships with Carol Ann and Cheri that only the first year or so was good.
& this isn't an invasion of their privacy? no woman wants the world to know something like that. not to mention it's a huge cut to them. i know few details about cheri except that there was a car accident when lb was drunk & cheri was messed up. & i read although i couldn't cite the source that cheri was given money if she never talked publicly. someone please correct me if i'm wrong. i love, admire & respect lb but can't look at him as a victim in all this when it's clear he's talked about former gfs in a not-so-redeeming light. anne heche? come? come on.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie View Post
Stevie didn't even write IDWTK during their breakup ..... (right? I mean, they sing it on the BN tour for crying out loud!)
That's correct. It's one of those songs that was intended for BN2, which means it was probably written somewhere in 1974. They were already having their share of problems back then, but they were still together. It was definitely not written during/about the 1976 break-up.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Without meeting my eyes Mick told methat it was best to wait for the doctor. Talking to me like I was a child, he said that the show was huge and it was too late to cancel it. And anyway, maybe Lindsey would be "fine" when he woke up. He wanted to ask Lindsey if he thought he could play after his "little attack."
----------
On one of the limo tapes he is talking about it also, not when they are having that 'group meeting' but actually in the limo, and he's not taking it seriously at all, he's actually joking about it. It came across as Mick believing Lindsey was being a drama queen.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
excerpt from Storms: My Life With Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris, 2007:

starting at page 105, as Carol Ann Harris finds Lindsey beginning to have a grand mal seizure in front of her-

"Before I could speak again, before I could touch him, he fell to the floor and started to convulse. He kicked and thrashed, his eyes beseeching me for help, and I didn't know what to do. I threw myself onto the floor next to him and tried to hold his shaking body still, but he seemed as strong as ten men and I was thrown backward, hitting my head on the edge of the coffee table. . . .

Richard! Help us, Richard! Richard, help! Lindsey's dying! Richard, help me!

. . .

After what seemed in eternity I heard a voice say "Front desk," and I yelled shrilly into the receiver, "Get an ambulance for room 7322! Lindsey Buckingham needs paramedics and an ambulance! Now!" [Philadelphia didn't have 911 yet]

. . . "Carol, what's happening? What's wrong with Lindsey?"

etc etc etc etc etc.....
----------
that drivel found a publisher?

omg. i could hardly read that excerpt. it is SO bad. so badly written. and we're supposed to believe she remembered exchanges like that word for word?

(insert that awesome barfing smiley here)

here's my thought about why it was delayed - and the fact that it doesn't really contain any of the "juice" it promised:

lawyers.

stevie's. and lindsey's.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark View Post

omg. i could hardly read that excerpt. it is SO bad. so badly written. and we're supposed to believe she remembered exchanges like that word for word?

(insert that awesome barfing smiley here)

here's my thought about why it was delayed - and the fact that it doesn't really contain any of the "juice" it promised:

lawyers.

stevie's. and lindsey's.
Actually, it's well written. I cut a lot out because it would involve a LOT of typing. As Dana mentions, Mick totally seems to disregard the seriousness of the moment. She captures it well. He should have been hospitalized.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

^^ sorry, dude. unless you RE-WROTE parts of it, i stand by my assessment.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^ sorry, dude. unless you RE-WROTE parts of it, i stand by my assessment.
Nope, I'm not a writer.

That's fine. Here's a critic's review:

Publishers Weekly
This is a fascinating if overlong look at the megasuccess of Fleetwood Mac in the mid-1970s, after the former British blues band recorded the laid-back rock songs of guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and singer Stevie Nicks that made the album Rumoursone of the most popular of its era. While working at the band's recording studio, Harris, currently a music business costume designer, became Buckingham's girlfriend and constant companion from 1976 through 1984, and she gives a detailed look-more so than drummer and original member Mick Fleetwood's biography-at this already well-chronicled story of how the success of Rumoursprovided the income for extravagant cocaine-fueled excesses before, during and after performances. Harris too often uses clichés, such as her view of the band's "beautiful insanity." But she does candidly recount Buckingham's rage and his repeated physical assaults on her. Along the way, she offers great descriptions of the band's recording sessions, especially her account of Buckingham's desire to "create something new, something completely" different for Tusk, the more experimental (and less profitable) follow-up to Rumours. (July)
Old 06-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

lawyers.

stevie's. and lindsey's.
Yup.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Ledgie

Quote:

lawyers.

stevie's. and lindsey's.

If their lawyer screened this it was to make sure they couldn't be sued.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i get the FM interest/obsession.
but who wants to read garbage like this?
there are so many great new books out right now.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
i get the FM interest/obsession.
but who wants to read garbage like this?
there are so many great new books out right now.
You are entitled to not read and discuss it and that's certainly a reasonable choice. Yet this is a Fleetwood Mac website and people discuss things about the band. Sometimes ad nauseum, I might add!

Lindsey has always been a genious in Fleetwood Mac and some want to understand him more. I personally have never quite understood what was behind "I'm So Afraid." I kept thinking WHY is he saying "I'm so afraid of the way I feel." What could be so fearful about feelings. And he wrote that song at such a young age. What could possibly frighten Lindsey about the way he feels? I just couldn't get it. If he is speaking about rage, anger management, maybe a bit of this book and that song make some sense. He has mentioned he's been in therapy.

I don't think it makes a person a "bad fan" to be interested in this book. He wrote the song, "I'm So Afraid." He put it out there. I don't think this book paints Lindsey as an evil person, but there is clearly a Lindsey shown that has anger issues. I think there are shades of Lindsey shown that maybe some don't want to know about. Lindsey speaks of "My Little Demon," "Go Insane . . . as I always do." etc. I think he's expressing something in his lyrics.

There's some humor in the book as well. There are some glimpses of Stevie that made me roar. But it's from this writer's point of view.

I think John McVie comes off as the most kind and probably most "together" member of the band (despite his personal battles with alcohol, which he has fought valiantly against). Haven't a few of us said that before?

Edit:
I left out the description of Christine. She seems like someone you'd really want to meet:
"Christine was a guys' girl, a good sport- think Katherine Hepburn's elegance and boyish charm, or Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby. She was earthy and tough, despite the pure voice and the poignant love songs she wrote. She was the band mother, as Stevie was the wayward band child." (introduction, page xi)

Last edited by Tango; 06-30-2007 at 03:53 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come really about Anne Heche?

Bwwwhhhhha.

Where is that three dollar bill?

Her shacking up with a woman was certainly convenient for him, though.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey