Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
It's defintely better now, but I still feel there is a perception that the woman who is pushy and aggressive is "trying too hard" and worthy of eye-rolls, if not the name "bitch."
I totally agree with this. On TV and in movies, I definitely see men being more submissive and less agressive. But in my real life, men rule the world. I have worked for twenty years, in different industries and in different capacities, and I have never to this day met a man who gives a woman her due credit, financially or otherwise. But I have met many who think an agressive woman is a bitch. My current co-worker (he thinks he's my "boss") actually had the audacity to say that women deserve less pay because they expect to get maternity leave!

Last edited by Carolina Girl; 03-24-2004 at 01:06 PM..
Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Well yeah...

Carolina Girl...some men are just stupid.

Some women are too. It goes both ways.

Stupidity knows no gender.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
I'm a female and I think men get a bad deal these days....Women beat guys into submission. Everything has to evolve around the woman, as she's gotten to be very self-centered.

By what you read, Madonna AND Nicks could be real barracudas over the years......

Do you women actually listen to those fat, bespectacled, man-hating (some married!) female professors who are lost in the '60s and '70s with their ideals? They've never reached the top in anything but are trying to teach YOU? Give it up!

Guys are great and should be appreciated!
Thank you. As a male, I feel very supported by these high-intelligent comments.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Well yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Carolina Girl...some men are just stupid.

Some women are too. It goes both ways.

Stupidity knows no gender.
True!
Old 03-24-2004, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shackin'up
Thank you. As a male, I feel very supported by these high-intelligent comments.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

>>My pleasure, Shackin' Up!>>
Old 03-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
>>My pleasure, Shackin' Up!>>
I'm ecstatically glad you understood.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
If we didn't fight for what we want, we'd still be a British colony!

So, support Lindsey and be a patriot. Otherwise, well, you know... the terrorists win.
Hello. I am a new member of the board but have been a regular reader for quite a while. I must say that the above remark is one of the most disgraceful that I have come across. I was so incensed that I decided to become a member of the board so that I could voice my sadness at such a thoughtless, spurious comment. If you are wondering, yes I am a Brit, and no I haven't lost my sense of humour. Even if said as a joke, the remark was highly inappropriate and definitely not funny. I am sure that the family and friends of British servicemen/women serving in the Gulf, Afghanistan and other regions around the world would be equally dismayed if they were unfortunate enough to come across the remark.

No matter. I shall not let this spoil my enjoyment of coming onto a terrific message board and reading some great postings. Regards to you all.

Mirage.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirage
Hello. I am a new member of the board but have been a regular reader for quite a while. I must say that the above remark is one of the most disgraceful that I have come across. I was so incensed that I decided to become a member of the board so that I could voice my sadness at such a thoughtless, spurious comment. If you are wondering, yes I am a Brit, and no I haven't lost my sense of humour. Even if said as a joke, the remark was highly inappropriate and definitely not funny. I am sure that the family and friends of British servicemen/women serving in the Gulf, Afghanistan and other regions around the world would be equally dismayed if they were unfortunate enough to come across the remark.

No matter. I shall not let this spoil my enjoyment of coming onto a terrific message board and reading some great postings. Regards to you all.

Mirage.
I thought it was funny and still do

Welcome to the board!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
Anywho, I know better than to start political discussions on such boards, but surely anyone can see the irony here. This is the Lindsey board remember, not the Stevie one.
*raises eyebrow*
Old 03-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Lux
Old 03-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
I meant that in the nicest possible way.
Guess I'll have to take your word on that... especially since I just found myself distracted by something shiny.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Lux
Old 03-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
. . . but surely anyone can see the irony here. This is the Lindsey board remember, not the Stevie one.
Explain

Old 03-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Lux
Old 03-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
People! I was kidding. It was just an obvious spot to take a (lighthearted) crack at Stevie. You know, how she doesn't like to be controversal these. Please don't attack me, it was a joke. These net boards really do lose the intentions of the poster.
Unfortunately the wording of your post had come off as though you were saying that the folks on the Stevie board were incapable of understanding irony ("surely anyone can see the irony here. This is the Lindsey board remember, not the Stevie one"), so I thank you for the explanation, Lux.
It's appreciated.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for clarifying Lux. I see your joke now.

As an aside, Stevie's very recent comments on Madonna and Britany S.' kiss and on Britany S. and other half naked girl singers certainly would be considered controversial. To wit:

Stevie Nicks rates the notorious Madonna-Britney kiss as the most obnoxious television moment ever.

"First of all, Madonna is too old to be kissing someone who is 22," the Fleetwood Mac singer told the Herald Sun. "

And Britney should be smarter than that. Hopefully, she will figure a way out of this hole she has dug for herself." Original rock chick Nicks, 55, said Spears and Christina Aguilera should wear more clothes and try writing decent songs.

"I personally have never been to a strip club, but I turn on MTV and see in every single video what it must be like to be at a strip club," Nicks said.

"I think the mystery is gone, and if you have no mystery, then you aren't even sexy.

"Real sexuality and sensuality is in the music, and all these girls, vis-a-vis, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and on and on, should go back to writing songs and start over because it won't last and they won't last.

"When they are 55, they won't be around and that's sad because I think a lot of those girls are very talented. But they are signing their own death warrants."

and then

"People always ask me, 'What do you think of Britney Spears? What do you think of this group, or that one?' I always say, 'Well, they're great.' But now . . . I think they all went too far. Their jeans got too low, their tops got too see-through. Personally, I think that sexy is keeping yourself mysterious. . . . What Britney should do is go back into the studio and get some great songs, and make a great record. And change her fashion style a little bit. Bring back her mysterious persona again. Otherwise it's like, if you see somebody running down the street naked every single day, you stop looking up."
--Fleetwood Mac vocalist Stevie Nicks [Rolling Stone, 10/31/02]

Finally, Stevie has commented on the troops by saying she supports them because they were told to be there (which is diff. than supporting the reason they wqere there) and in fact wrote a letter to them supporting them which can be found here:

http://www.nicksfix.com/letter_to_troops_mar18_2003.htm

Conversely, LB rarely makes a public political or any other controversial comment, expcept perhaps the occasional jab at the music industry, of which he is willingly a part.

So - food for thought

BTW - as tone can be hard to determine in the written word, I am speaking in a jovial tone not in an in your face finger snapping way

Old 03-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Lux
Old 03-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Arrow

Stevie has the courage to speak up what’s in her mind and very often she speaks straight, or that’s at least my experience. That’s something I appreciate in her. Whereas with Lindsey’s interviews I often find myself laughing at his overall seriousness and his pseudo-intellectual pulls.

I guess SN still views herself as a role model of sorts, someone who is very aware of her public status. Maybe she’s trying to keep up what’s left of the backbone of morality in USA these days.

And as for Lindsey, he’s dead cautious in interviews, probably often even rehearsing his comments beforehand (because he repeats a lot of his points, just like I do ) but I’m sure he doesn’t view himself as a spokesman of sorts and probably doesn’t even think that his opinion on some hot topic matters that much. He thinks of himself as just an artist anyway.

Also, Stevie often likes to discuss her songs in detail, not all of them but some of them anyway. Lindsey doesn’t do that, his vagueness is probably because he doesn’t want to shatter people’s perceptions of what his songs are about.

As he says at MadnessFades.net on the “Peacekeeper” page:

Quote:
Anything artistic should have some ambiguity to it, and you know, if there's only one way it can be interpreted, it's probably closing in on propaganda.
Not that Stevie is doing that in any way, she knows what she can discuss and she knows what she can’t.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up