Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter and Syd Barrett

In the early 70s, after Peter left FM and Syd left PF, there were rumours about the two of them forming a band together. They were supposed to appear at music festivals at the time. This would be circa 1973-75, from what I can remember.

However, these were wild rumours and of course nothing happened. I'm pretty sure they never even saw each other during these years. Though I am fascinated by the thought of them sharing the stage together.

What puzzles me is how this rumour started?

Just the media playing with the romantic stories of two "troubled geniuses" who had left their own bands? Or did actually Peter and Syd know each other? Didn't both FM and PF play at the Hyde Park free concerts in 69-70?

On the other hand I read somewhere that Pink Floyd didn't think much about the "Blues Boom" bands at the time... Kinda strange.. PF were huge fans of blues music.. Maybe it was just Roger Waters being a little nasty.

Any inputs/thoughts?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pink Floyd

My personal opinion was that they were a bluesband. If you listen to the sondtrack they did for a movie in 1967(?) half the tracks were blues. And that was with Syd Barrett. Syds replacemet Gimore was a self professed Peter Green Fan. that continued with Snowy White. Great Britain is not that big and everybody played with everybody at some point. While I do not personally know this I am sure they played together at some point. However Syd Barretts heath may have been more suspect than Greeny at the time in question. They may have not been on the same wavelength.

sincerely,

doodyhead
formerly known as maryellen healy
8^)
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi doodyhead/maryellen!

Yes, Pink Floyd certainly was a blues - or rather R'n'B - band in their early years, before they recorded "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn".

I don't know what soundtrack you're referring to, but I have early bootleg recordings of them doing "I'm A King Bee" and Syd's own "Lucy Leave" (1965), which could easily have been done by the Rolling Stones.

I think the statement about the British blues bands was after they started doing their more phsycedelic freakout shows with long improvisations. That would have been around 1967, just as the so-called Blues Boom started.

Thanks for the note about David Gilmour! I didn't know he was a Greeny fan!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default More

The movie was named More. It was released in 1969. It was about a few drug influenced young people running around on the isles of Crete. It sounds just about what was going on back then.I think it was filmed in 67-68. Thats where Clapton went that allowed Peter Green a shot in the Blesbreakers. I saw it in the west village around 69. hazy Psychedelic laced blues drifted in and out of the movie. This was a definite cult starter movie.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default even more

according to Web sources "wikipeodia", the band was named after two english blues guys at the time. go figure

doodyhead
Old 12-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah yes, "More"! It was actually done after Syd left, but they carried on his style on at least a few of the following albums. (Before they became what I think is an extremely boring band )

They toook their name from two obscure American blues men called Pink Anderson and Floyd Counsil. And from what I know, their early set lists consisted of much Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley and Jimmi Reed material.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Ah yes, "More"! It was actually done after Syd left, but they carried on his style on at least a few of the following albums. (Before they became what I think is an extremely boring band )

They toook their name from two obscure American blues men called Pink Anderson and Floyd Counsil. And from what I know, their early set lists consisted of much Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley and Jimmi Reed material.
I think some of PF's early stuff is pretty interesting music, though I suspect some of it would sound better if you were stoned! Haven't heard the "More" soundtrack though. My favorite PF album is Meddle, I love "Echoes".
Old 12-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default more or less

they did release both the soundtrack on CD and the DVD. I have not seen or heard either since that hazy psychedelic afternoon at the movies.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I'll have to see that movie! I just listened to sound clips of the "More" album on Amazon, and I sounds very good.

Personally I think Syd Barrett is absolutely phenomenal. But it wasn't my intention to turn this into a Pink Floyd forum. Perhaps this discussion should be elsewhere. I just stumbled across that rumour about Peter and Syd.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of the stuff on Meddle called to mind some of the Green-Kirwan Mac tracks, one very definitely seemed to be a kind of response to Albatross. I can't imagine Syd Barrett and Peter Green collaborating for some reason though. It's hard to imagine someone taking it seriously because Green is just on such a completely different plane in terms of skill, while Barrett was all about making interesting noises more than being coherent at the best of times... and yes, they were very interesting noises much of the time. It's like imagining Marc Bolan with Mark Knopfler or something.