The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He also put a motor home in his driveway to save wear and tear on his house whilst recording said album, oh, and yeah, to give Mick a place to meet his drug dealers and, if he were still couch-surfing, a place likely to sleep.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
He also put a motor home in his driveway to save wear and tear on his house whilst recording said album, oh, and yeah, to give Mick a place to meet his drug dealers and, if he were still couch-surfing, a place likely to sleep.
And that's probably WHY he was under strain during those recording sessions.

People have selective memory. And it's fascinating.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just commented about the "Stevie never cared for the band the way Lindsey did/still does", and not defending Stevie or anybody. Lindsey left the band in 1987, and that's a fact. I'm not selective in my memories. And I'm not critizing him. He had reasons. Was Tango album that good because he produced it? Sure. Because of Chris singles? Sure. Did he care about the Tango tour success if he left the band? I guess not. Was he a bad guy for that reason? I wouldn't say that.

I just think no one was always 100% innocent in this story. But I'm not surprised about people getting upset about this topic. After 17 months, even the “Why I’m Done with Fleetwood Mac” generates 64 posts so... seems we are not done at all, actually. Well, if drama and tension were always present in Fleetwood Mac, why can't they be in us too?

Speaking for myself, after a several months hiatus (of course because of the april 2018 episode), I'm started to enjoy again listening occasionally my old Rumours lineup material, and that's it. Not interested in the present band nor its future. And not interested in hating any of them; it would give them importance.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I just commented about the "Stevie never cared for the band the way Lindsey did/still does", and not defending Stevie or anybody. Lindsey left the band in 1987, and that's a fact. I'm not selective in my memories. And I'm not critizing him. He had reasons. Was Tango album that good because he produced it? Sure. Because of Chris singles? Sure. Did he care about the Tango tour success if he left the band? I guess not. Was he a bad guy for that reason? I wouldn't say that.

I just think no one was always 100% innocent in this story. But I'm not surprised about people getting upset about this topic. After 17 months, even the “Why I’m Done with Fleetwood Mac” generates 64 posts so... seems we are not done at all, actually. Well, if drama and tension were always present in Fleetwood Mac, why can't they be in us too?

Speaking for myself, after a several months hiatus (of course because of the april 2018 episode), I'm started to enjoy again listening occasionally my old Rumours lineup material, and that's it. Not interested in the present band nor its future. And not interested in hating any of them; it would give them importance.
I don’t get where’s the relevance in Lindsey leaving the band in 1987 with my comment about him caring more for the band than Stevie. She also left the band in 1990, and that’s also a fact. Touring means money, so yeah, Stevie and Mick definitely cared about touring. Lindsey lost money by leaving the band before touring. If anything, he gained integrity by leaving the band an album they can tour and make money with.

I will never get over what these a$$holes did to Lindsey, especially because he did nothing to deserve it, and that’s also a fact, because in no way are these people protecting him.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But caring about tour success is not the same as caring about its legacy. I don’t think he cared about the Tango tour success, but he did care about the album and he said that he was happy that he left the band in a more creative place than he thought Mirage left it. I don’t agree with him. I love Mirage. But the fact is, he was trying to do right by the band’s reputation with Tango. Yes he cared about it. The success of the tour has nothing to do with his feelings about the music Fleetwood Mac put out and the reputation they garnered or his loyalties. I think him showing up at Mick’s wedding said something about where his heart was.

But no he didn’t care about tour crowds or tour money at that point. He has always thought of tours as a means to an end. The money he makes on the tours allows him financial freedom. He cares on that account. But I don’t know what caring about the Tango tour box office means as a measure of commitment. The tour is over and forgotten. The Tango music lives with us.

Last edited by michelej1; 09-27-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But caring about tour success is not the same as caring about its legacy. I don’t think he cared about the Tango tour success, but he did care about the album and he said that he was happy that he left the band in a more creative place than he thought Mirage left it. I don’t agree with him. I love Mirage. But the fact is, he was trying to do right by the band’s reputation with Tango. Yes he cared about it. The success of the tour has nothing to do with his feelings about the music Fleetwood Mac put out and the reputation they garnered or his loyalties. I think him showing up at Mick’s wedding said something about where his heart was.

But no he didn’t care about tour crowds or tour money at that point. He has always thought of tours as a means to an end. The money he makes on the tours allows him financial freedom. He cares on that account. But I don’t know what caring about the Tango tour box office means as a measure of commitment. The tour is over and forgotten. The Tango music lives with us.

This is the bit Stevie forgets. Or, just doesn't care about anymore because her writing has mostly dried up.

She did her recording bit years ago. She will let those albums speak for her for eternity and just let them be the fodder for the money-making tours until she drops.

She sees zero need for new music on her own or with the band. Why put in all that effort when there's no money in it? As far as she's concerned, her legacy is set (thanks in large part to Lindsey, and Jimmy, and to some extent Tom). It's done. She's a legend. Mission accomplished. On to the next presidential suite.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 09-27-2019 at 05:11 PM..
Old 09-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unfortunately, I see Stevie as a lonely person whose only joy in life is being on stage. There is no husband or children. She has family, but it's not the same as John, Mick and Lindsey. Even Chris admits she got stir crazy after years of living alone not working in her home in England.

This band did Lindsey so wrong. I just watched the Buck/McVie documentary and it just makes me so mad at the rest of the group for siding with Stevie. It's just hard to get over it.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-27-2019, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This band did Lindsey so wrong. I just watched the Buck/McVie documentary and it just makes me so mad at the rest of the group for siding with Stevie. It's just hard to get over it.[/QUOTE]

I agree after watching the Buck/McVie doc it makes all of this even harder to digest. I still stand by...I’m happy for the music I have got from these folks, It’s more than I expected. The legacy is what it is.........Rock on!
Old 09-28-2019, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Reminds me of LB's comments about her and all of this late last year:

STEREOGUM: I read you haven’t spoken to any of them since then.

BUCKINGHAM: I haven’t spoken to any of them. Once we signed some papers a few weeks ago, I did hear from Christine in an email, as I expected to. I know Mick would probably like to, but I think he’s too embarrassed and just a little too weak-willed to do it. I won’t hear from Stevie because it was all her trip anyway. Again, I just have to forgive them because it’s really just Stevie being so needy for a certain kind of attention and maybe not wanting to compete with the vitality that I have.

STEREOGUM: Do you think you’ll ever end up back with the band?

BUCKINGHAM: Look, it’s Fleetwood Mac, anything’s possible. Maybe they’ll get it out of their system. If they ask me to come back, would I? Sure, because to me I think the lack of a proper farewell tour, if that’s what we’re doing, that doesn’t undercut, like I say, the legacy that we have so carefully built as the five of us, which they’re not doing right now. I don’t know what they’re doing. It’s a cover band kind of deal, and Stevie may be enjoying that, and that’s fine. If she is happy doing that, there is no one outcome that I think is going to be okay. The way I look at it is it’s giving me an opportunity to do some things in a more rapid-fire way with some new people who actually care about what I’m doing and not just about getting the money from Fleetwood Mac. Look, I mean it does make me question who these people are, but again, to look at it compassionately, I think it’s all coming from a lack of perspective and to some degree a certain weakness on their parts. I can’t stop loving them because of that.

https://www.stereogum.com/2025688/li...ses/interview/
Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Reminds me of LB's comments about her and all of this late last year:

STEREOGUM: I read you haven’t spoken to any of them since then.

BUCKINGHAM: I haven’t spoken to any of them. Once we signed some papers a few weeks ago, I did hear from Christine in an email, as I expected to. I know Mick would probably like to, but I think he’s too embarrassed and just a little too weak-willed to do it. I won’t hear from Stevie because it was all her trip anyway. Again, I just have to forgive them because it’s really just Stevie being so needy for a certain kind of attention and maybe not wanting to compete with the vitality that I have.

STEREOGUM: Do you think you’ll ever end up back with the band?

BUCKINGHAM: Look, it’s Fleetwood Mac, anything’s possible. Maybe they’ll get it out of their system. If they ask me to come back, would I? Sure, because to me I think the lack of a proper farewell tour, if that’s what we’re doing, that doesn’t undercut, like I say, the legacy that we have so carefully built as the five of us, which they’re not doing right now. I don’t know what they’re doing. It’s a cover band kind of deal, and Stevie may be enjoying that, and that’s fine. If she is happy doing that, there is no one outcome that I think is going to be okay. The way I look at it is it’s giving me an opportunity to do some things in a more rapid-fire way with some new people who actually care about what I’m doing and not just about getting the money from Fleetwood Mac. Look, I mean it does make me question who these people are, but again, to look at it compassionately, I think it’s all coming from a lack of perspective and to some degree a certain weakness on their parts. I can’t stop loving them because of that.

https://www.stereogum.com/2025688/li...ses/interview/
Clearly Lindsey is a very compassionate human being. Not only would I never ever want to work with them again (although I doubt they will ask him to), but I also could never ever forgive them.

They don't deserve him.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Clearly Lindsey is a very compassionate human being. Not only would I never ever want to work with them again (although I doubt they will ask him to), but I also could never ever forgive them.

They don't deserve him.
WHY would he go back? More for the paycheck, or more for the star trip, playing to filled arenas?

F*ck them. He should tell them that. Then throw rocks at them. Did I mention, "F*CK THEM"?

The true payback should be him writing a SCATHING tell all book about the stupid old goat. That's what $he deserves!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
WHY would he go back? More for the paycheck, or more for the star trip, playing to filled arenas?

F*ck them. He should tell them that. Then throw rocks at them. Did I mention, "F*CK THEM"?

The true payback should be him writing a SCATHING tell all book about the stupid old goat. That's what $he deserves!
Why would he go back? The paycheck is alluring. But I think his main reason would be to rehabilitate the damaged legacy of the band, something he cares deeply about. Lindsey isn’t stupid: he loves his solo work but knows much of his posterity and reputation is tied to FM. It matters to him that the band is remembered for vitality, excellence, and purpose. Yes, what the four have done to him is awful and inexcusable, but I get the sense he’d overlook it (or, more accurately, leverage it) should the band ever reunite and attempt new music. As unlikely as that is, there’s a much stronger chance that Lindsey would want to than Stevie...she’s the saboteur here.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Why would he go back? The paycheck is alluring. But I think his main reason would be to rehabilitate the damaged legacy of the band, something he cares deeply about. Lindsey isn’t stupid: he loves his solo work but knows much of his posterity and reputation is tied to FM. It matters to him that the band is remembered for vitality, excellence, and purpose. Yes, what the four have done to him is awful and inexcusable, but I get the sense he’d overlook it (or, more accurately, leverage it) should the band ever reunite and attempt new music. As unlikely as that is, there’s a much stronger chance that Lindsey would want to than Stevie...she’s the saboteur here.
I can't imagine anyone(unless they were absolutely desperate for the money) ever going back, after being treated like this.

$he doesn't want to stand on the same stage as him, ever again....

How could HE ever want to stand on the same stage again, with that back stabbing bi*ch?
Old 09-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I can't imagine anyone(unless they were absolutely desperate for the money) ever going back, after being treated like this.

$he doesn't want to stand on the same stage as him, ever again....

How could HE ever want to stand on the same stage again, with that back stabbing bi*ch?
It's not about being on the same stage with her again. I'm sure that's the worst part of coming back (IF they EVER ask him to come back. Because I'm sure they won't). But he did NOTHING wrong, so he naturally wants to have one last chance with FM. For him and for the fans.

But $tevie will never allow it. That will diminish her power. Yes, she's that sick.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Oh, but she “loves” him! That’s why she mentioned the guitar incident. I’m sure there are equally colorful anecdotes about Stevie’s temper, but she conveniently forgot to mention them.
no, more like because HE was too discreet to blab them to the press the way she does about him. And probably partly because he still loved her for so long after she dumped him and moved on and hoped she might come back. We see how well that worked out.

He has however not shied away from taking his shots through criticisms of her work, which honestly seems fair game to me. They worked together, he was her producer, he can be honest about where her songs were lacking and how much work he had to do to make them hits.

She on the other hand can only go for the personal.