The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

I didn't solely credit her success to others. Indeed, she is a good writer and singer, and she can still sing.

No one will, or should rather, argue that Stevie Nicks isn't hard working. She constantly records, hits the road, etc. and when she's not doing that, she's doing a charity event, soundtrack or the like which keeps her profile pretty high. I give her all the credit in the world for that.

But, the reality is, she has made (mostly) radio-friendly music, certainly more than LB. That isn't too say its bad. No. But she had help...

Why would you discount listing key individuals who made these significant contributions to her records, as I did, as "pithy little comments that add up to nothing"??
Old 05-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Oh boy....

I think I'll PM Marty about adding a Stevie vs. Lindsey forum. It will get more posts than all the other forums combined.

Anyways...they are BOTH mega-mega-mega talented people. We ALL identify with one or the other (or in some cases, BOTH) in different ways. WHY must we fight over who is better? It's SUBJECTIVE...just like with favorite song, food, color...some of us like Rhiannon, some hate it, some like chicken fried steak, some hate it, some like the color orange, some hate it. WHO CARES?!?!?

I do like the fact we can all DEBATE this kind of thing, it's a free country, do what you want (as long as you don't physically hurt another person), but it's getting kinda ridiculous with the viciousness.

Lindsey is probably not as popular because his unique style of music isn't the kind you hear on the radio played 389,000 times a frickin day. ALSO, because he stays in the studio like a hermit and only makes appearances on tour or rarely in magazines and on TV. Stevie just does more press and is more outgoing. Lindsey is shy. Stevie has that elusive X factor as well....she's got the unique voice, the fun songs, she's gorgeous and has a unique style.

So, there's my answer to the question. And, while we are getting things off our chest about stuff...I DO NOT LIKE THE BEATLES!!!! Okay, flame away folks. LMAO!!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffles
Why would you discount listing key individuals who made these significant contributions to her records, as I did, as "pithy little comments that add up to nothing"??
Hi Jeff... I wasn't discounting the contributions of the musicians and producers Stevie has worked with... which was why I made it a point to bring up the fact that even Stevie herself makes no bones about the fact that she relies on these individuals to help "bring her music to the masses."

I only made mention of the significance of the various producers, etc., because so often her reliance on these people is used by her detractors to discount her talents and success... which I think is a cop-out.

But I wasn't singling out your comments (or anyone else's), just the general bias in those regards.

Hope that clears things up.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't solely credit her success to others. Indeed, she is a good writer and singer, and she can still sing.

No one will, or should rather, argue that Stevie Nicks isn't hard working. She constantly records, hits the road, etc. and when she's not doing that, she's doing a charity event, soundtrack or the like which keeps her profile pretty high. I give her all the credit in the world for that.

But, the reality is, she has made (mostly) radio-friendly music, certainly more than LB. That isn't too say its bad. No. But she had help...

Most of those "good songs" you talk about were written by Stevie and Stevie alone, without any help from anyone. Case in point - Leather & Lace. And Carne, the Bruce Hornsby tune makes me want to vomit but you certainly have a right to your opinion and your...taste.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 05-07-2003 at 12:41 AM..
Old 05-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I think you guys are missing something here: Everybody likes a circus!
yadda, yadda, yadda....

I sense some bitterness....

Get over attacking Stevie about her success. Your constant sarcasm and snide remarks about Stevie show that you take it too far in terms of "his success vs. her success." While we're all terribly sorry that LB is not the major success that SN is, there's nothing that can be done to change that. Your constant, bitter comments are not only rude, their getting rather old.

Get a life.

Maria

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to attack LB or his fans, just CarneVaca.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sara1998

Meeeeoooowwww!

Last edited by glitter_fades; 05-07-2003 at 01:09 AM..
Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What wrong with liking a circus?????????

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-07-2003, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Jeffles, I think Johnny Stew was addressing me.

The whole Lindsey vs. Stevie issue is quality vs. quantity. While I can count Lindsey stinkers in one hand, I believe the reverse is true with Stevie's work since 1985. Starting with Rock a Little, most of her stuff is mediocre and it doesn't surprise me that the public prefers her over Lindsey. Mediocrity, especially with a pretty face, sells. That's reality.

Sara1998, I was this close to ignoring your comments since I really don't care what you think. But at least you came right out and admitted you were attacking me. I don't have any bitterness toward Stevie. To feel bitter toward someone would require my having a personal investment. That's just not the case here. While I understand you don't like my comments, I would just say tough **** to that. This is a discussion board. As long as questions over one's solo career vs. the other's come up, I am going to post. Hit the ignore button if you don't want to read my comments.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
What wrong with liking a circus?????????

Exactly.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by glitter_fades

Hat's off to you Maria and, of course, to you too Johnny. Anyone in doubt of Stevie's true talent REALLY needs to take a CLOSE listen to TISL. I think it's the project she has had the most "hands on" approach in. She co-produced and even produced a fair amount of the album and in LINDSEY'S own words to Stevie "this is the best thing you have ever done." I think TISL is truly a masterpiece. In fact, I find it a great compliment to Stevie that Lindsey chose to co-produce a couple tracks from SYW with one of TISL's key producers, John Shanks. I hope Stevie herself works with him more in the future.

Obviously, Lindsey HIMSELF has no doubts of Stevie's talent nor should anyone here.

BRIAN
Old 05-07-2003, 08:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rianbay1
[QUOTE]Originally posted by glitter_fades
Anyone in doubt of Stevie's true talent REALLY needs to take a CLOSE listen to TISL.

I respectfully disagree that I need to do anything to "get" Stevie. I've spent enough time listening to hers and many other artists' music to figure out what I like and don't like.

In fact, I find it a great compliment to Stevie that Lindsey chose to co-produce a couple tracks from SYW with one of TISL's key producers, John Shanks

Unless you know for a fact that Lindsey "chose" to do this, you're just applying wishful thinking here. I tend to believe this was imposed on Lindsey, and since he was in a peacekeeping mode for this album, he went along. I question the decision, for I believe the weakest moments in SYW are Stevie songs, i.e., Silver Girl, Running Through the Garden and Destiny Rules.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Johnny Stew-Maybe I misunderstood you. I don't discount her talent as a songwriter and a singer.

gldstwmn-I don't believe i ever said anything about her not writing those songs, with the exeption of Stop Draggin My Heart Around, which was written by Tom Petty and Mike Campbell. I think she's a very good writer.

I think some people are getting off track from what the original post was about. It wasn't to validate Stevie Nicks' success and talent, nor was it to argue about who is better.

It was to explain why her solo career has surpassed that of the other members of the band, and its reasonable to consider the contributions of others as part of that success. Again, it wasn't to discount her own talents.

I happen to enjoy her solo work, especially her debut and the most recent effort.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats why I hate these questions. Its a matter of opinion.

On these boards we have strong avid Stevie fans who HATE Lindsey . WE have the Lindsey fans who think Stevie is a total flake and waste of space. Then we have the few who love BOTH.

These questions should belong to a Stevie vs Lindsey board...enter at your own risk. MAN!!!!

I think some of you really try hard to express strong opinions without ruffling feathers...really good job guys. We can have opinions guys!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Jeffles, I think Johnny Stew was addressing me.

The whole Lindsey vs. Stevie issue is quality vs. quantity. While I can count Lindsey stinkers in one hand, I believe the reverse is true with Stevie's work since 1985. Starting with Rock a Little, most of her stuff is mediocre and it doesn't surprise me that the public prefers her over Lindsey. Mediocrity, especially with a pretty face, sells. That's reality.
The "quality vs. quantity" thing is another one that comes up a lot, but I feel it's a weak issue too.
I think the rationalization of Lindsey's music being something sophisticated to the extreme, and "above the heads" of the general public, is a bit of a cop-out.
Certainly Lindsey's solo music has every bit of the pop nuances of Stevie's solo music. He may imploy more gadgets and wizardry, but the end product is a pop-rock album... just the same as Stevie's albums. What's not to "get" about a pop album, with thematical issues such as love, and, well, love?

They're both trying to appeal to the masses (why else would Lindsey continue to work for Warner Bros. after all these years?), and if they weren't, they'd just be a pair of unknown singers, like they were in 1973.

I love Lindsey's music (sad that I feel the need to repeat that over and over again, lest my intentions be misconstrued), but I think sometimes he went just a little overboard in his search for offbeat sounds.
I think sometimes the heart and soul that can be found in the best music, became a little forgotten or too far buried among all the sonic flash.

'Out Of The Cradle' is Lindsey's finest solo album, because it sounds pretty, AND we can relate to it.

As to why it didn't take off in a major way... who knows?
But I can see why 'Law & Order' and 'Go Insane' didn't.

Like I've said, I've played Lindsey's songs to many people... people who, based on their other musical tastes, I thought would greatly enjoy his music... and it's not a matter of them not "getting it," it's just simply that a lot of it didn't appeal to them in any major way. There are maybe 4 or 5 songs on the first two solo albums that seem to elicit any interest from people, and even some of the 'OotC' tracks get a less-than-enthusiastic response.

As for the statement that "mediocrity sells"... that's not actually true. Mediocrity doesn't sell, and it never has.
The biggest thing that sells records, is hipness.
Once an act is no longer hip, if they don't have the quality to back up their music, they're bound to disappear into obscurity.

Even 'Street Angel'... Stevie's lowest selling album... sold more, and charted higher than albums by many of her peers (Heart, Pat Benatar, Chrissie Hynde, etc.).
Then 'Trouble In Shangri-La' came along, and its sales figures defied all expectations the industry had for a 50-something female rocker.

Surely the unenlightened masses aren't lining up to buy a mediocre, low-quality album, by an un-hip and aging rock chick.
That's a bit far-fetched.

Granted there may be one or two songs on each album that leave a little to be desired, but the average quality of each release is extremely high... otherwise I would have grown bored with Stevie's music long ago.
And as a longtime fan, it's her CURRENT music that keeps me interested and keeps me buying her releases... not her past glories.

As I've stated before, Stevie has a very high success-rate. One can look across her career and pick out maybe half a dozen true clunkers (anything beyond that, is a matter of personal preference)... but when you place that number against the hundred+ other songs she's released over the years (most of which had absolutely no involvement from Lindsey), I think she has more than proven that she has what it takes.

A few duds every couple of years isn't bad... 5 or 6 duds every few (or more) years, is.

Personally, it matters very little to me. All of these songs... even ones that aren't exactly favorites mean something to me. I've been listening to them for the better part of my life, and... as I've said before... at the end of the day, my opinion is the only one that matters to me, where music is involved.
As a fan, I'll always do my part to try and help people "discover" Lindsey's music... but Craig asked why we feel Stevie's solo career was more successful than the others,' and I've given my thoughts on the various reasons.

"There ain't no good guy... there ain't no bad guy... there's only you and me, and we just disagree...."
Old 05-07-2003, 01:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johnny Stew
the average quality of each release is extremely high... otherwise I would have grown bored with Stevie's music long ago.

Oh, that settles it. I'm glad you're explaining what high quality is: something that doesn't bore you (sarcasm, but not disrespect, intended.)

You can sugar-coat it however you want, but the reality is mediocrity sells. Plain and simple. I'm not saying Bella Donna and The Wild Heart were mediocre, however.