Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Studio tracks that Jeremy, Peter and Danny played on together

I was thinking about this the other day. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of studio tracks that the three lead guitarists played on together. I'm assuming that they were all on Somebody's Gonna Get (Their Head Kicked In Tonite), and then there's String-a-Long on which Peter played banjo. Technically and pedantically, the former was originally credited to Earl Vince and the Valiants, the latter to Jeremy Spencer (although it turned up on The Chain box set), so neither of them were Fleetwood Mac! Danny wasn't on Oh Well, but then didn't Peter play the drums and bass on that anyway?

There doesn't seem to be anything on the Blues Jam at Chess album that would qualify...maybe the BBC sessions...

I have to wonder what full-throated three guitar track from those three would have sounded like. Perhaps it wouldn't have worked.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 08-04-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I have to wonder what full-throated three guitar track from those three would have sounded like. Perhaps it wouldn't have worked.
They all played guitar on most of the songs live and it was stupendous going by the "Live In Boston" tapes. Same for the BBC tapes. In the studio, it's perhaps only String-along and the Earl Vince track.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
They all played guitar on most of the songs live and it was stupendous going by the "Live In Boston" tapes. Same for the BBC tapes. In the studio, it's perhaps only String-along and the Earl Vince track.
The three of them would all be playing on Jeremy's songs when live, and therefore in Boston .but I doubt Jeremy was playing guitar (though he might have been on keyboards for some ) for either Peter's or Danny's songs, unless what he did in the USA was very different from what they did in England

Do you hear a third guitar on Peter and Danny's songs live in Boston Dino ?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Danny wasn't on Oh Well, but then didn't Peter play the drums and bass on that anyway?
Could you elaborate on this please ?
Old 08-05-2014, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
The three of them would all be playing on Jeremy's songs when live, and therefore in Boston .but I doubt Jeremy was playing guitar (though he might have been on keyboards for some ) for either Peter's or Danny's songs, unless what he did in the USA was very different from what they did in England

Do you hear a third guitar on Peter and Danny's songs live in Boston Dino ?
No, you're right of course! On Danny's and Peter's songs, Jeremy would play percussion or leave the stage. So only Jeremy's songs have the three guitar line-up.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Could you elaborate on this please ?
Hi, I was going by what I thought I remembered reading in Mick's autobiography. I haven't got it to hand but I seem to recall he said that Peter played all the instruments on it (except for the recorder that Sandra Elsdon(?) played on Part 2). We've learnt since that Jeremy played the little bit of piano on Part 2 as well. I think there was also some comment about the rest of the band having a bet with Peter that it wouldn't be a hit. Maybe Jeremy is lurking and might elucidate.

I know Mick's book may have some inaccuracies but I would have thought this has the ring of truth about it.

This kind of amuses me as they played Oh Well for years, right up to 2009 . It was the one pre 75 track that they carried on playing and Mick and John may well not have even been on the studio track!

Note to self- must get the Boston CDs. It's the one notable gap in my collection.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Note to self- must get the Boston CDs. It's the one notable gap in my collection.
Well, they've just been re-released (€ 18 in the Netherlands).

How's your wife?

GJK
Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Well, they've just been re-released (€ 18 in the Netherlands).

How's your wife?

GJK
Well, you know at 124 years old, she's doing kind of OK. We're looking forward to the remaster of Bare Trees. We should be able to afford a day-trip to the seaside with the royalty cheque. She's still writing poetry and hoping that the band ask her to contribute again- she sent her latest effort off to someone called Stevie, I think her name was. "It's all about unicorns, angels and witches, my dear, so so beautiful..." she told me over breakfast. That was about six months ago, but we've heard nothing back from her yet...
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hi, I was going by what I thought I remembered reading in Mick's autobiography. I haven't got it to hand but I seem to recall he said that Peter played all the instruments on it (except for the recorder that Sandra Elsdon(?) played on Part 2). We've learnt since that Jeremy played the little bit of piano on Part 2 as well. I think there was also some comment about the rest of the band having a bet with Peter that it wouldn't be a hit. Maybe Jeremy is lurking and might elucidate.

I know Mick's book may have some inaccuracies but I would have thought this has the ring of truth about it.

This kind of amuses me as they played Oh Well for years, right up to 2009 . It was the one pre 75 track that they carried on playing and Mick and John may well not have even been on the studio track!

I don't have Mick Fleetwood's book handy at the moment, but I think that his statement in there was that Peter played nearly all the instrumental parts for "Oh Well Part 2" only, not Part 1. The rest of the band (presumably minus Jeremy Spencer) is certainly on Part 1, and it's pretty clearly Danny Kirwan playing some of the guitar leads on that, as he also did when it was played live.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This from Peter Green's Q & A on the ledge:

Peter, of all music you have composed my “all-time favorite” is the 2nd part of “Oh Well”. It is simply beautiful and always brings to me very dear and very personal memories from the past. My question to you: did you ever perform the “Oh Well part 2” live? (Andrzej, Sittard, Netherlands)

No, I never did. I played nearly all the instruments on "Oh Well" It would be a difficult thing to re-create live.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/...rgreen_qa2.htm

Well, that's a bit ambiguous.. he doesn't say "I played nearly all the instruments on "Oh Well" Part 2" but he is responding to a question about Part 2.

I'll need to re-listen and find Mick's book again.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This from Peter Green's Q & A on the ledge:

Peter, of all music you have composed my “all-time favorite” is the 2nd part of “Oh Well”. It is simply beautiful and always brings to me very dear and very personal memories from the past. My question to you: did you ever perform the “Oh Well part 2” live? (Andrzej, Sittard, Netherlands)

No, I never did. I played nearly all the instruments on "Oh Well" It would be a difficult thing to re-create live.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/...rgreen_qa2.htm

Well, that's a bit ambiguous.. he doesn't say "I played nearly all the instruments on "Oh Well" Part 2" but he is responding to a question about Part 2.

I'll need to re-listen and find Mick's book again.
He's certainly talking only about Part 2 with that answer. Unlike Part 2, "Oh Well Part 1" was a regular part of their live show as I'm sure you know.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I don't have Mick Fleetwood's book handy at the moment, but I think that his statement in there was that Peter played nearly all the instrumental parts for "Oh Well Part 2" only, not Part 1. The rest of the band (presumably minus Jeremy Spencer) is certainly on Part 1, and it's pretty clearly Danny Kirwan playing some of the guitar leads on that, as he also did when it was played live.
From what I can figure out...Danny played ALL (read: "both") of the leads on "Oh Well" (Part 1). Peter played the signature riff, acoustic & electric rhythm guitar.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
From what I can figure out...Danny played ALL (read: "both") of the leads on "Oh Well" (Part 1). Peter played the signature riff, acoustic & electric rhythm guitar.
Yes, I read somewhere that Peter deliberately dud this to take some of the light off of him. And in any case, all, aural evidence supports Danny playing the leads....
Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh well, I'm very happy to be proved wrong on this if that's the case. I agree it does sound like Danny. I can remember thinking it was a bit odd when I read what I thought I read in Mick's book. I went to the local library where I remember seeing a copy of it to check but the copy it wasn't in. If anyone does have it and can quote it that would be great.

We can pretty much add Oh Welll (in its entirety) to Somone's going get (their Heads kicked in) and String-a-long then, even if they weren't on record simultaneously...

I'm such a pedant it hurts...
Old 08-08-2014, 03:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Oh well, I'm very happy to be proved wrong on this if that's the case. I agree it does sound like Danny. I can remember thinking it was a bit odd when I read what I thought I read in Mick's book. I went to the local library where I remember seeing a copy of it to check but the copy it wasn't in. If anyone does have it and can quote it that would be great.

We can pretty much add Oh Welll (in its entirety) to Somone's going get (their Heads kicked in) and String-a-long then, even if they weren't on record simultaneously...

I'm such a pedant it hurts...
just a clarification: I recorded 'Head kicked in' with Mick and John only.