Mar 23 Gothenburg Konserthouset
Mar 25 Copenhagen A-B-C Teatret
Mar 28 Umea Ostra Gymnasiets Aula
Mar 29 Orebro Idrottshuset
Mar 31 Helsinki Kulturhuset
April 1 Stockholm Konserthuset
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Wouter Vuijk;1121892]Strange, Dinky Dawson only states these venues early april 1970:
Stockholm Sweden (Konserthuset) 1970-04-01
Helsinki Finland (Kultuuritaalo) 1970-4-03
No Gothenburg on april 2.

Though I confused my self in my previous posting, thinking that the 2nd and3rd photos were at the same concert hall (cause I'm obviously senile ) -the main thrust of my argument stands - in the last picture,the sign on the curtain says NO SMOKING PLEASE --would it say this in a theatre in Gothenburg ?

Could any of our Scandinavian contributors say whether a Sweedish venue woud have such a sign in English.

As Wouter has pointed out, Dinky D has no record of this Gothenburg gig Therefore, given the sign , isnt it more likely that this third pic was actually a performance in Britain or the USA and has been mis- captioned ??!

Judging by the great height of the curtain it is obviously on a proper theatre stage but the lack of proscenium arch decoration indicates a modern one- so unlikely to be the Lyceum theatre for example and probaly not a ballroom , a (n) Univeristy perhaps ..................

Last edited by THD; 03-05-2014 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Spolling (joke )!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Strange,

Or was it perhaps 1n 1969:
Mar 23 Gothenburg Konserthouset
Mar 25 Copenhagen A-B-C Teatret
Mar 28 Umea Ostra Gymnasiets Aula
Mar 29 Orebro Idrottshuset
Mar 31 Helsinki Kulturhuset
April 1 Stockholm Konserthuset
If the third photo was from April '69 rather than April 70 then I think we would be seeing a wall of Orange amplification rather than the wall of Fenders !?!

Last edited by THD; 03-05-2014 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: spacing
Old 03-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=THD;1121908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Strange, Dinky Dawson only states these venues early april 1970:
Stockholm Sweden (Konserthuset) 1970-04-01
Helsinki Finland (Kultuuritaalo) 1970-4-03
No Gothenburg on april 2.

Though I confused my self in my previous posting, thinking that the 2nd and3rd photos were at the same concert hall (cause I'm obviously senile ) -the main thrust of my argument stands - inthe last picture,the sign on the curtain says NO SMOKING PLEASE --would it say this in a theatre in Gothenburg ?

Could any of our Scandinavian contributors say whether a Sweedish venue woud have such a sign in English.

As Wouter has pointed out, Dinky D has no record of this Gothenburg gig Therefore, given the sign , isnt it more likely that this third pic was actually a performance in Britain or the USA and has been mis- captioned ??!

Judging by the great height of the curtain it is obviously on a proper theatre stage but the lack of proscenium arch decoration indicates a modern one- so unlikely to be the Lyceum theatre for example and probaly not a ballroom , a (n) Universty perhaps ..................
I don't think a scandinavian venue would have an english NO SMOKING sign at that time. I have just been looking through Hjort's book. In the spring of 1970, after the USA trip (where FM played their last gig in Madison Square Garden NY on friday the 13th of february) and before the european tour, they played a small tour of Ireland and North of Ireland (which no other british groups dared at the time). They played gigs in National Stadium, Dublin on the 26th of february, The Savoy, Cork on the 27th, and Ulster Hall, Belfast on saturday the 28th of february. Could it be Ulster Hall? I mean, the irish venues might have had signs in english. There is also a british venue - Exeter University Concert Hall on tuesday the 3rd of march.

Ms Moose
Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's an eyewitness account of the concert in Gothenburg on April 2, 1970, from a review of Hjort's book.

http://www.gp.se/kulturnoje/1.135148...boom-1965-1970

Rough translation.

"Mikael van Reis remembers the blues boom in which Eric Clapton and Peter Green were young gods with guitars as lyres.

On 2 April 1970, Fleetwood Mac Concert House in Gothenburg. Peter Green and his band had visited the Cue Club in November, and now it was time again.
It was a Thursday and I was well prepared as teenage temple servant with a lot of British blues boom ringing in the ears.
The music was moving quickly in new directions.
A few years earlier, Eric Clapton and Cream shown how the concept of rock could be invented again ... and again.
The concert began with the Rattlesnake shake, with Jeremy Spencer's hysterical maracas, the band went through the Then play on a galloping
Fightin for Madge and leveled off in the a blue fog patches of Albatrossand then switched tempo in an explosive Oh well .
It was heavy and Peter Green was without a doubt the Manalishi this evening - with one foot in the " boiling darkness."
They played loud and the rite lasted two hours.
I remember the the concert very well, but did not know that this was a last act of the British blues boom.

I peek back through Hjorts blues calendar. He has missed one date - that gig at the Concert Hall in Gothenburg in spring 1970. "
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Here's an eyewitness account of the concert in Gothenburg on April 2, 1970, from a review of Hjort's book.

http://www.gp.se/kulturnoje/1.135148...boom-1965-1970

Rough translation.

"Mikael van Reis remembers the blues boom in which Eric Clapton and Peter Green were young gods with guitars as lyres.

On 2 April 1970, Fleetwood Mac Concert House in Gothenburg. Peter Green and his band had visited the Cue Club in November, and now it was time again.
It was a Thursday and I was well prepared as teenage temple servant with a lot of British blues boom ringing in the ears.
The music was moving quickly in new directions.
A few years earlier, Eric Clapton and Cream shown how the concept of rock could be invented again ... and again.
The concert began with the Rattlesnake shake, with Jeremy Spencer's hysterical maracas, the band went through the Then play on a galloping
Fightin for Madge and leveled off in the a blue fog patches of Albatrossand then switched tempo in an explosive Oh well .
It was heavy and Peter Green was without a doubt the Manalishi this evening - with one foot in the " boiling darkness."
They played loud and the rite lasted two hours.
I remember the the concert very well, but did not know that this was a last act of the British blues boom.

I peek back through Hjorts blues calendar. He has missed one date - that gig at the Concert Hall in Gothenburg in spring 1970. "
Thanks for posting this, dino. This is almost certainly the show that became available on the Wolfgang's Vault site a few years ago and has been listed with an obviously incorrect date there.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Now THAT is some "Wall O' Fender"!!
I always go totally blank when I imagine they did that with no monitors on stage. HOW????

Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I always go totally blank when I imagine they did that with no monitors on stage. HOW????
Great point shackin'up;1121994] !Didn't seem to affect the quality of the music though !. At the time of the picture I suppose they were just totally dependant on the mix that the sound person ( D Dawson -I assume ) was sending out to the audience Also, it's well worth bearing in mind ,that it was less than 18 months before this that (, never mind not having monitors ,) they didn't even have their amps miked up through a mixing desk and therefore no one away from the band was controlling their sound at all ! Probably switching to a desk positioned in the hall away from the stage was something they learned from the Grateful Dead - so on their first US tour ?

Last edited by THD; 03-08-2014 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Great point shackin'up;1121994] !Didn't seem to affect the quality of the music though !. At the time of the picture I suppose they were just totally dependant on the mix that the sound person ( D Dawson -I assume ) was sending out to the audience Also, it's well worth bearing in mind ,that it was less than 18 months before this that (, never mind not having monitors ,) they didn't even have their amps miked up through a mixing desk and therefore no one away from the band was controlling their sound at all ! Probably swithing to a desk positioned in the hall away from the stage was something they learned from the Grateful Dead - so on their first US tour ?
The Stones started using floor monitors on their '69 tour. I think before that, most bands were using just "side fill" monitors (basically, just an extra set of PA speakers turned toward the band on each side of the stage)...if you see photos of Blind Faith in concert, they had WEM column speakers behind Ginger Baker on each side of him...those were the "monitors" they used. Either method would naturally cause mic feedback, so when you hear most live recordings of bands from that era, there's usually quite a bit of feedback squeal through the vocal mics.

The vocal mics would pick up the instruments, which helped some, too...& then when the vocalist would step in front of the mic, it would naturally bring the volume of the instrument down through the PA.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've had several personal conversations with Mikael van Reis about this concert. One of the things he mentioned was a tuning issue (identifiable on the "misdated" boot). Mikael also sent me a pic of the actual Gothenburg FM poster.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
I've had several personal conversations with Mikael van Reis about this concert. One of the things he mentioned was a tuning issue (identifiable on the "misdated" boot). Mikael also sent me a pic of the actual Gothenburg FM poster.
zoork, would it be possible for you to post that photo of the Gothenburg poster? No worries if it's too much trouble, but it's always cool to see those old concert posters. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
zoork, would it be possible for you to post that photo of the Gothenburg poster? No worries if it's too much trouble, but it's always cool to see those old concert posters. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, zoork!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks, zoork!
No, problema...
Old 03-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for posting this, dino. This is almost certainly the show that became available on the Wolfgang's Vault site a few years ago and has been listed with an obviously incorrect date there.
Hi Sharksfan, can you recall the obviously false date?
I had a crash on my external hard disk crash containing my complete audio collection. A real disaster, but thankfully about 80% has been restored. Right now I'm trying to get some insight in what has been lost. I may have lost (part of) that concert so it would be nice to get it back from Wolfgangs Vault.