Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 AM

Liar, Easy Come... other than that I love that album
Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Liar, Easy Come... other than that I love that album
Yeah--I figured Easy Come would be one of them. It's lame in comparison with the others. But, ah, what a good vocal on it!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yeah--I figured Easy Come would be one of them. It's lame in comparison with the others. But, ah, what a good vocal on it!
Great vocals yes!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile

Easy come easy go sounds great in my car. I'm interested whether they truly used a Leslie rotating speaker or if the sound was created with a Pro Tools effect; but because of it, the song is one of my favorites on ITM.

I'll never know, but if I ever had the chance, it's one of the (20 or so) questions I'd ask Chris.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very few early '80s recordings stand up for me because of the heavy hyanded production style at the time. I remember hating it then on things like Vacation by The Go-Gos or anything by Billy Ocean, Jonathan Cain era Journey, or Lionel Ritchie. Over processed. Maybe where things are even more processed today though with auto tune and voice correctors as well as the clap/drum machines and uninteresting layers of synths they might sound good in comparison. I still don't get it, and feel bad when there is a good song buried under all the razzle dazzle clutter. Som e groups like Rush used synths well at that time but most just troweled the effects on to the point where the Pointer Sisters (Jump, So Excited) became the Pointless Sisters, and Van Halen became where's the actual famous guitar sound hidden in this hit (Jump, Panama)?

Just Chris and a piano (ala Songbird) sounds better to me than all the stuff on her 2nd album and Tango. A lot of tv commercial music is irritating to me but it's designed to get your attention and memory. Just because I remember many early '80s songs doesn't make them enjoyable, at worst like they are branded into the brain so you never need to hear them again. I'd love a set of demos, sans overdubs, of Christine's '80s recordings along the lines of the Beatles' Let It Be, Naked edition. Or better yet like the Sandy Denny demo material that went into her Rendezvous album, so much better than the big label release back in the day with all the strings and other business on top.

Last edited by becca; 05-28-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My problem with a song like Bad Journey is that it sounds like it was produced in the eighties. It seems like a nod to the Manhattan Transfer (jazz era, late seventies) or something.

Michele
Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The CM album is my third favorite of Chris's three solo albums. I like it, just not as much as the others. To my ear it's too mainstream sounding. I worship the song "One in a Million," but my opinion of the rest is good, not great. But you know, I haven't listened to it in a long time. I oughta give it a spin and see how I feel about it today.

I also saw her solo tour, in Boston. I was absolutely thrilled when she played those two pre-B/N tunes, because I am a big fan of her earlier (more raw) material.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do like the álbum, though I expected a bit more from Miss Christine. Yes it sounds very Fleetwood Mac and I do like that. But compared to In The Meantime, I found this last álbum more interesting.

Anyway yes it is worth it, you must include it in your collection.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

I also saw her solo tour, in Boston. I was absolutely thrilled when she played those two pre-B/N tunes, because I am a big fan of her earlier (more raw) material.
Hey, I saw her too! It was great!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But in the past twenty years or so, I've often found myself imagining what could have been if all those solo albums were combined into annual Mac projects. Those musicians really benefit from working together...
My pet peeve of Fleetwood Mac in the '80s!

(see my rant here: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...7&postcount=13 )

I bought the CD of the CM album (I had already worn out the LP) at a rock music convention in downtown LA in the early '90s. About 2 minutes after buying it, I looked up & saw Sara Fleetwood...had her sign the cover. (I also bought the CD single of "In The Back Of My Mind" which had a couple of live tracks as the "B-side" tracks...unfortunately, due to my frequent relocations back in the day, that CD single has vanished)

Have always thought that "One In A Million" had a very Bob Welch air about it.

"The Smile I Live For" with Lindsey's guitar solo, just might as well BE a Fleetwood Mac track. (as well as "Got A Hold On Me"...could've been on Rumours, Tusk or Mirage without anyone even having a clue that it didn't fit.)

If Eric Clapton hadn't done the guitar solo (as wimpy as it is...his only wimpier solo is on Stephen Bishop's "Save It For A Rainy Day"; both very unlike Eric to be so cheezy) on "The Challenge", I don't think I'd be as enamored with the song as I am.

"So Excited" with Billy Burnette was a glimpse into the future of Fleetwood Mac. Why they didn't ressurect this song into the concert set while Billy was a member of Fleetwood Mac, I'll never know.

One of my favorites on the album is the Todd Sharp tune "I'm The One". (How Todd Sharp never ended up ever even being ASKED to join Fleetwood Mac still boggles my mind...he was with Bob Welch's French Kiss era touring band from '78-'81; played on Mick's The Visitor album, played on Christine's album & subsequent tour...jeez, what's a guy gotta do to even be CONSIDERED??)

Last edited by chiliD; 05-30-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

"So Excited" with Billy Burnette was a glimpse into the future of Fleetwood Mac. Why they didn't ressurect this song into the concert set while Billy was a member of Fleetwood Mac, I'll never know.
And there's a pre-tour interview where Christine said that they probably would do it too.

Michele
Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post

Just Chris and a piano (ala Songbird) sounds better to me than all the stuff on her 2nd album and Tango.
OH, I have dreamed of this kind of album from her. Wouldn't it be fantastic if she just sat at a piano and played arrangements of all kinds of songs--her classics, popular songs from various eras, new material....I'd welcome anything like this.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OH, I have dreamed of this kind of album from her. Wouldn't it be fantastic if she just sat at a piano and played arrangements of all kinds of songs--her classics, popular songs from various eras, new material....I'd welcome anything like this.
You're not the only one. This would be PERFECT (pun intended). I love her piano playing style so much.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
You're not the only one. This would be PERFECT (pun intended). I love her piano playing style so much.
Same here, I love her style.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not flashy like a lot of other piano players, but with her style you feel the piano even if it's mixed down to oblivion at times.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie