Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I just wish that the Rumours band would get back together and create some new music. Why does it have to be conditional on touring? It really makes no sense to me. But I'll relish another solo gift from Christine, "in the meantime". I love her!!
Couldn't agree more...
Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I just wish that the Rumours band would get back together and create some new music. Why does it have to be conditional on touring? It really makes no sense to me. But I'll relish another solo gift from Christine, "in the meantime". I love her!!
Because one of her songs might be a hit.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Because one of her songs might be a hit.
hahaha... good point but doubtful ...
Old 11-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Even if it's a reissue, I bet this means that Christine's website will come back for a little bit. Maybe she'll answer some of the old Q & A questions.

Michele
Old 11-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
hahaha... good point but doubtful ...
Honestly, I think MAC could get a hit - a big one - by way of one of Christine's songs. But even if she doesn't return to the band, then an almost-identical version of the same song on a solo album would go almost entirely unnoticed.

About half of the reviews from ITM savaged Christine's limitations as a lyricist and performer. However, if she'd contributed six or seven of those ITM songs to Say You Will, those same reviewers would have hailed her as the greatest asset to the band. It's all about context--and in the context of FM, Christine has usually been a critical success. This is often not the case on her own.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Honestly, I think MAC could get a hit - a big one - by way of one of Christine's songs. But even if she doesn't return to the band, then an almost-identical version of the same song on a solo album would go almost entirely unnoticed.

About half of the reviews from ITM savaged Christine's limitations as a lyricist and performer. However, if she'd contributed six or seven of those ITM songs to Say You Will, those same reviewers would have hailed her as the greatest asset to the band. It's all about context--and in the context of FM, Christine has usually been a critical success. This is often not the case on her own.
The sum is greater than the parts. I really can't listen to any of their solo albums from start to finish. Too much of any one element gets on my nerves after a few minutes.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The sum is greater than the parts. I really can't listen to any of their solo albums from start to finish. Too much of any one element gets on my nerves after a few minutes.
I can listen to a very good Buckingham or Nicks solo album from start to finish Bella Donna ,Out of the Cradle and possibly Gift of Screws would certainly qualify..Christine is just too bland to carry an entire album IMO..I repeat what I stated earlier in this thread .She is sublime in the context of Fleetwood Mac particularly with Buckingham in it.I agree the sum is greater than the parts.If all three had concentrated on Fleetwood Mac exclusively we could have had three superb FM studio albums since The Dance.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

I would love to see FM (with Christine) re-record "Friend". I can almost hear Stevie and Linds in the background!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I can listen to a very good Buckingham or Nicks solo album from start to finish Bella Donna ,Out of the Cradle and possibly Gift of Screws would certainly qualify..Christine is just too bland to carry an entire album IMO.
I disagree with you about that. I own a few of Lindsey's and Stevie's solo albums, which I have listened to a few times, but I'm just not that impressed with either of them, except in the context of the band. This is especially true of Stevie, whose voice and faux-poetic songwriting style I find monotonous. Her music works in the band context where her airiness is balanced by the other two songwriters.

Christine's music, on the other hand, I can listen to anytime. The vocal expressiveness, musical luster, and emotional intimacy contained in 'In the Meantime' set that album apart. As I have said before, 'In the Meantime' is my favorite FM-related work of at least the last three decades.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I disagree with you about that. I own a few of Lindsey's and Stevie's solo albums, which I have listened to a few times, but I'm just not that impressed with either of them, except in the context of the band. This is especially true of Stevie, whose voice and faux-poetic songwriting style I find monotonous. Her music works in the band context where her airiness is balanced by the other two songwriters.

Christine's music, on the other hand, I can listen to anytime. The vocal expressiveness, musical luster, and emotional intimacy contained in 'In the Meantime' set that album apart. As I have said before, 'In the Meantime' is my favorite FM-related work of at least the last three decades.
I disagree. I am a huge Christine fan, but ITM was not, I think, her best work and certainly not the best solo album released by any of the FM members. I find the second half of the album particularly weak. However, gems like Friend, You Are, Calumny and Northern Star make the whole thing worth it, its flaws notwithstanding.

I am very eager to see what, if any, new material appears from Christine in 2009. I suspect this might be the reworking of ITM we heard about, through the grape vine, a few months back. Nothing, though, would delight me more if it was something new.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I disagree. I am a huge Christine fan, but ITM was not, I think, her best work and certainly not the best solo album released by any of the FM members. I find the second half of the album particularly weak. However, gems like Friend, You Are, Calumny and Northern Star make the whole thing worth it, its flaws notwithstanding.

I am very eager to see what, if any, new material appears from Christine in 2009. I suspect this might be the reworking of ITM we heard about, through the grape vine, a few months back. Nothing, though, would delight me more if it was something new.
We'll agree to disagree.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
We'll agree to disagree.
And Aleuzzi and I will agree to agree! There's room for everybody's opinion.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

Bella Donna is pretty much unassailably a classic California rock album that can take it's place alongside Rumours or One of These Nights among others.The remainder of Nicks's solo catalouge is pretty uneven I will admit.I'm happy that you enjoy In the Meantime so much and hope that Christine .Lindsey and Stevie continue to provide us with new music.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I can listen to a very good Buckingham or Nicks solo album from start to finish Bella Donna , Out of the Cradle and possibly Gift of Screws would certainly qualify..
I'll give you Bella Donna, but it's not like it's all Stevie on that. Tom Petty and Don Henley help break things up a bit. And, Stevie was in top form. After that, each album had a couple of decent to great songs and a bunch of filler.

Out Of The Cradle would have been great had Lindsey used an actual rhythm section. But the drum machine makes the album pretty unlistenable for me. If anything, that album reinforces just how critical Mick and John are to that classic Mac sound. To put it another way, I noticed the absence of Mick and John more on Out Of The Cradle than I noticed Lindsey's absence on Christine's songs on Time. I really can't comment on his most recent album, as I've not heard it. I'll get it eventually, but I'm in no particular rush.

Quote:
Christine is just too bland to carry an entire album IMO.
I'd still take her 1984 solo album over any of Lindsey's albums or Stevie's album's save for Bella Donna. But, that album had Todd Sharp's fingerprints all over it, making it more of a group effort than a true solo album, and was graced with great vocal cameos from Lindsey and Steve Winwood. Even Clapton's one solo added character to the album.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 11-30-2008 at 04:50 AM..
Old 11-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'll give you Bella Donna, but it's not like it's all Stevie on that. Tom Petty and Don Henley help break things up a bit. And, Stevie was in top form. After that, each album had a couple of decent to great songs and a bunch of filler.

Out Of The Cradle would have been great had Lindsey used an actual rhythm section. But the drum machine makes the album pretty unlistenable for me. If anything, that album reinforces just how critical Mick and John are to that classic Mac sound. To put it another way, I noticed the absence of Mick and John more on Out Of The Cradle than I noticed Lindsey's absence on Christine's songs on Time. I really can't comment on his most recent album, as I've not heard it. I'll get it eventually, but I'm in no particular rush.

I'd still take her 1984 solo album over any of Lindsey's albums or Stevie's album's save for Bella Donna. But, that album had Todd Sharp's fingerprints all over it, making it more of a group effort than a true solo album, and was graced with great vocal cameos from Lindsey and Steve Winwood. Even Clapton's one solo added character to the album.
Whoa... I really agree with all of this... I would add LB's amazing solo at the end of This Smile I live For.....

Also, Got A Hold on Me, is such a great tune... her keyboard work along with the great drums... stellar..

For as much as LB complained about Mick's and John's playing... his work is pitiful as far as bass and drums...