The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really old. I remember when The Other Side Of The Mirror and Behind the Mask..... I remember being so happy with the comeback of The Dance.... Cannot believe its been 15 years...
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...ance-turns-15/

Fleetwood Mac’s Reunion Album ‘The Dance’ Turns 15

Consider my mind blown. 15 years has flown by.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I'm really old. I remember when The Other Side Of The Mirror and Behind the Mask..... I remember being so happy with the comeback of The Dance.... Cannot believe its been 15 years...
I guess I'm old, too! I became a fan with Tango, so I remember when Greatest Hits, BTM, TOSOTM, and OOTC were released.

As for The Dance, I remember having MTV on one day and the video for 'Silver Springs' coming on. I was thinking it was cool that they decided to do this live, but that I liked the original better.

Imagine my surprise when I realize that the guitarist is Lindsey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was totally floored!! I took it seriously when he said that he couldn't see working with 'those four people' again!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That was a great article but The Dance wasn't an unplugged performance.

I'm still floored that it was 15 years ago. It doesn't seem like that much time has passed. I remember watching the debut on TV and when the opening chords of Silver Springs started I was trying to figure out what the song was. I had no idea they were going to do it. And once Stevie sang the opening line I almost screamed, I was so excited. I bawled like a baby watching Stevie glaring at Lindsey, singing these emotions she'd been denied in concert for so many years. It was unreal and the clip still gives me goosebumps.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default i remember it SO well

my two BBFs actually even bought pot to time-warp to the 70s. never was my thing but we had a wild night.... actually ended up with me and my Boyfriend at the time being made up in a "drag-race" to see who looked better as Stevie... (neither of us did , as the girls making us up were STONED). good times!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ultimate Guitar, February 25, 2011

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...nce/index.html

The Dance Reviewed by: mattybou92, on february 25, 2011

Sound: In 1997, "The Dance" put the famed Fleetwood Mac back on the top of the US charts with mulit-platinum success. It had been a decade since the "Rumours" line-up would perform together, and the last time for Christine McVie. "The Dance" is a unique album in the Mac catalog for many reasons.

"The Dance" could have come about for many reasons. Fleetwood Mac was suffering heavily in the 90's with the departure of Buckingham and Nicks. Mick Fleetwood was facing financial difficulties and John McVie nearly died from alcohol abuse. The idea for a tour and live album with the original mid 70's line-up seemed lucrative for each member, naturally. The project came to fruition with Mick Fleetwood working on a Buckingham solo album that turned into much more. Nicks was contacted as well as the remaining members of Mac who all agreed to bring the chain together once more.

The album, as well as the tour was extremely successful. Indeed, Fleetwood Mac has still "got it". The sound is very clear, very pristine beginning with the opening "The Chain" from the album "Rumours". The band has never been better, going through their most famous hits and adding a few new tracks. However, these new tracks actually deter from the flow of the DVD. While the album "The Dance" contained 17 tracks, the DVD contains 22, making the new songs more spread out. However, Stevie's contribution, "Sweet Girl" and McVie's "Temporary One" don't really make as strong of an impression as Buckingham's lovely "Bleed to Love Her."

Buckingham is at top form on the tour. An underrated guitarist, his skill level is simply stunning on "Big Love", a song quite different from the album version that appears on "Tango in the Night". Buckingham evens makes note of the fact, mentioning how songs, like people constantly grow and change. He has matured and changed since his time with Mac, and it is very evident with his treatment of Stevie on her songs.

Stevie manages to ride off the success of the Dixie Chicks when she performs "Landslide" to great acclaim. Her voice however, like Buckingham's, has lost some of its range. "Rhiannon" has all the magic of the Fleetwood-McVie rhythm section, but suffers with her limited range. A new intro is added however, that shows that the Mac is always evolving. "Silver Springs" is her other standout and was the other single released from the album with "Landslide". "Sliver Springs" was originally released as a B-side to "Go Your Own Way" back in the "Rumours"- era. It's a beautiful song that finally gets it's due.

Christine McVie makes a very sweet performance of her hits "Everywhere", "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me". I still find it odd that "Little Lies" was not included, but the band has so many hits, it must have been difficult to include all of them.

Content: The DVD is a better collection and overall view of Fleetwood Mac's big comeback tour than the album version. With 22 songs, only four are new songs, and only two of them are weaker tracks. The opening number "The Chain" is a great opening with the line "Never break the chain," standing out strong. Some tracks such as "Little Lies", "Hold Me", "Monday Morning" and "Oh Diane" are not included, despite being hits, but overall, the set-list is very strong.

Following "The Chain", Nicks takes the stage with her iconic "Dreams" into McVie's "Everywhere". The band finds a good balance between the performing songwriters. Tracks such as "Gypsy", "Go Insane", "Gold Dust Woman", "Over My Head" and "Songbird" are only available on the DVD, so the DVD is the way to go. The DVD video in 1.33:1 aspect ratio, audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM stereo.

Production Quality: The overall production is very solid, and the staging of the show is very advanced for a live album. Dozens of cameras give it a very modern feel, and the close-ups of Nicks and Buckingham during Nick's emotional songs show that much thought was placed on the production. Buckingham, as usual, serves as producer and as usual gives the solid, clean production. Even when the UCLA Marching Band is introduced on the final few numbers ("Tusk" and "Don't Stop"), the sound quality and staging is stunning if not slightly over-the-top. But Fleetwood Mac has always been famed for their excess, and the production of the concert is no different.

Impression: Overall, Fleetwood Mac is back. Christine McVie would leave afterward, but it shows that both Buckingham and Nick's are fully capable of working efficiently together on Mac projects. This reunion would prove handy when "Say You Will" would be released a few years later, regrettably without Christine McVie. Having sold over 5-million copies in the US, it is the fifth best selling live album of all time there. There still was and always will be an audience for the Mac. It's worth your hard-earned cash to check out this band who suffered and triumphed to create an amazing work of art and an incredible concert.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

97....I was 12......my first glimpse of Mr. Buckingham....sigh. lol

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Ultimate Guitar, February 25, 2011

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...nce/index.html

The Dance Reviewed by: mattybou92, on february 25, 2011

Sound: In 1997, "The Dance" put the famed Fleetwood Mac back on the top of the US charts with mulit-platinum success. It had been a decade since the "Rumours" line-up would perform together, and the last time for Christine McVie. "The Dance" is a unique album in the Mac catalog for many reasons.

"The Dance" could have come about for many reasons. Fleetwood Mac was suffering heavily in the 90's with the departure of Buckingham and Nicks. Mick Fleetwood was facing financial difficulties and John McVie nearly died from alcohol abuse. The idea for a tour and live album with the original mid 70's line-up seemed lucrative for each member, naturally. The project came to fruition with Mick Fleetwood working on a Buckingham solo album that turned into much more. Nicks was contacted as well as the remaining members of Mac who all agreed to bring the chain together once more.

The album, as well as the tour was extremely successful. Indeed, Fleetwood Mac has still "got it". The sound is very clear, very pristine beginning with the opening "The Chain" from the album "Rumours". The band has never been better, going through their most famous hits and adding a few new tracks. However, these new tracks actually deter from the flow of the DVD. While the album "The Dance" contained 17 tracks, the DVD contains 22, making the new songs more spread out. However, Stevie's contribution, "Sweet Girl" and McVie's "Temporary One" don't really make as strong of an impression as Buckingham's lovely "Bleed to Love Her."

Buckingham is at top form on the tour. An underrated guitarist, his skill level is simply stunning on "Big Love", a song quite different from the album version that appears on "Tango in the Night". Buckingham evens makes note of the fact, mentioning how songs, like people constantly grow and change. He has matured and changed since his time with Mac, and it is very evident with his treatment of Stevie on her songs.

Stevie manages to ride off the success of the Dixie Chicks when she performs "Landslide" to great acclaim. Her voice however, like Buckingham's, has lost some of its range. "Rhiannon" has all the magic of the Fleetwood-McVie rhythm section, but suffers with her limited range. A new intro is added however, that shows that the Mac is always evolving. "Silver Springs" is her other standout and was the other single released from the album with "Landslide". "Sliver Springs" was originally released as a B-side to "Go Your Own Way" back in the "Rumours"- era. It's a beautiful song that finally gets it's due.

Christine McVie makes a very sweet performance of her hits "Everywhere", "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me". I still find it odd that "Little Lies" was not included, but the band has so many hits, it must have been difficult to include all of them.

Content: The DVD is a better collection and overall view of Fleetwood Mac's big comeback tour than the album version. With 22 songs, only four are new songs, and only two of them are weaker tracks. The opening number "The Chain" is a great opening with the line "Never break the chain," standing out strong. Some tracks such as "Little Lies", "Hold Me", "Monday Morning" and "Oh Diane" are not included, despite being hits, but overall, the set-list is very strong.

Following "The Chain", Nicks takes the stage with her iconic "Dreams" into McVie's "Everywhere". The band finds a good balance between the performing songwriters. Tracks such as "Gypsy", "Go Insane", "Gold Dust Woman", "Over My Head" and "Songbird" are only available on the DVD, so the DVD is the way to go. The DVD video in 1.33:1 aspect ratio, audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM stereo.

Production Quality: The overall production is very solid, and the staging of the show is very advanced for a live album. Dozens of cameras give it a very modern feel, and the close-ups of Nicks and Buckingham during Nick's emotional songs show that much thought was placed on the production. Buckingham, as usual, serves as producer and as usual gives the solid, clean production. Even when the UCLA Marching Band is introduced on the final few numbers ("Tusk" and "Don't Stop"), the sound quality and staging is stunning if not slightly over-the-top. But Fleetwood Mac has always been famed for their excess, and the production of the concert is no different.

Impression: Overall, Fleetwood Mac is back. Christine McVie would leave afterward, but it shows that both Buckingham and Nick's are fully capable of working efficiently together on Mac projects. This reunion would prove handy when "Say You Will" would be released a few years later, regrettably without Christine McVie. Having sold over 5-million copies in the US, it is the fifth best selling live album of all time there. There still was and always will be an audience for the Mac. It's worth your hard-earned cash to check out this band who suffered and triumphed to create an amazing work of art and an incredible concert.
Actually, the piano intro to Rhiannon wasn't new at all...Stevie started performing it that way on the Bella Donna tour in '81 and continued to do it that way through all her solo tours....so it may have been new at a Mac show, but it was almost 20 yrs old by the Dance
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dance=Love

Hi all, as you know I am new here at the Ledge, but not new to the Mac. Loved them for years, anyway I have some unanswered Q's about the “Dance” that I thought some of you might have had, as well. This is off topic to the OP, so I apologize in advance. And to answer the OP's Q: Yes, I would be standing, hooting and cheering them all the way, and possibly shouting out songs that would earn me evil glares from Stevie, SOTM anyone? However, about the Dance, I ponder these:

a) Why was the video and tour called “The Dance” and not “The Bridge” after Christine's “Temporary One” number? Just seemed more appropriate to me.
b) “My Little Demon” is prob one of my favorite songs from this era, and could have been a hit single....why Landslide as a single and not this song?
c) On that note, did anyone else notice the cold, hateful look Stevie was giving LB during the first cords and versus of MLD?
d) Why wasn't Little Lies or Hold Me performed? Or even Isn't It Midnight, Brown Eyes, Think About Me...etc?

That's about all, I really have no complaints about this awesome DVD and tour....only wish they could/would have included Stand Back, World Turning, Twisted....and possibly Why?

Edit: Sorry, I just now realized this was an old thread that I bumped....still I Love the Dance :/

Last edited by FierySequences; 12-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: bumped old topic
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
a) Why was the video and tour called “The Dance” and not “The Bridge” after Christine's “Temporary One” number? Just seemed more appropriate to me.
They did it after Henri Matisse's mural, La Danse and tried to make their own little circle the way they were positioned on the cover, as in the painting.

Michele
Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Ledgie

Sorry for digging this out, but I couldn't find another, more recent thread about this.

I just re-watched this and when "Silver Springs" starts, the camera shows Christine playing the keys and if I'm not totally mistaken, she plays something completely different. Is that possible? Or is her keyboard modified to make it easier? Seemed weird to me.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicInferno View Post
Sorry for digging this out, but I couldn't find another, more recent thread about this.

I just re-watched this and when "Silver Springs" starts, the camera shows Christine playing the keys and if I'm not totally mistaken, she plays something completely different. Is that possible? Or is her keyboard modified to make it easier? Seemed weird to me.
Do you mean that the video doesn't appear to sync with the audio?

I notice that phenomenon a lot in many musical concert films. You hear a piano chord, and then a second or two later you see the pianist play the chord. I don't know what it is.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicInferno View Post

When a band performs live on a TV show the cameras are all shooting at once and it's up to the person in the control room to switch back and fourth between cameras to get the best shots for the audience watching at home. When a band is filmed live for the purposes of editing together a performance for a concert video the cameras shoot from many different angles and all the parts are edited together later. When it comes time for the editors to put it all together they don't run all the footage at once and choose from the best angles, like on TV, they usually put together all the shots that show the singers singing so they can sync up the lips to the words and some of the musicians doing things that match up with certain parts of the song, but the rest is just a matter of putting things that look good visually together at the right places so the performance looks good. A lot of what you are actually seeing was probably not actually done at that point in the song but once it's all edited together it looks good so what does it matter. If you watch the performance of Eyes of the World on the Mirage concert video you'll notice the Whoa Whoa Whoa chorus is exactly the same both times. Chances are when they shot the performance they didn't have enough good shots of both choruses so they ran the footage from one both times. So your seeing Christine hitting the wrong keys just means they were using footage from a different part of the song and to make the whole picture look good. Sometimes you have to sacrifice one thing for the other so they were probably hoping that nobody noticed her hands because she looked so good in that shot otherwise.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
Hi all, as you know I am new here at the Ledge, but not new to the Mac. Loved them for years, anyway I have some unanswered Q's about the “Dance” that I thought some of you might have had, as well. This is off topic to the OP, so I apologize in advance. And to answer the OP's Q: Yes, I would be standing, hooting and cheering them all the way, and possibly shouting out songs that would earn me evil glares from Stevie, SOTM anyone? However, about the Dance, I ponder these:

b) “My Little Demon” is prob one of my favorite songs from this era, and could have been a hit single....why Landslide as a single and not this song?
c) On that note, did anyone else notice the cold, hateful look Stevie was giving LB during the first cords and versus of MLD?
d) Why wasn't Little Lies or Hold Me performed? Or even Isn't It Midnight, Brown Eyes, Think About Me...etc?

That's about all, I really have no complaints about this awesome DVD and tour....only wish they could/would have included Stand Back, World Turning, Twisted....and possibly Why?

Edit: Sorry, I just now realized this was an old thread that I bumped....still I Love the Dance :/
Yes! I posted this very observation on some thread on this board.Her cold,not-pleased looks started during his MLD intro speech and continued into certain parts of the song.Also, during his intro,Stevie does that kinda intimidating walk towards him while she glares at him(almost through him).So no,Fiery Sequences,you are not alone!Check the other above mentioned parts out!Those words must have some deep-rooted meaning between S & L.Just what we need - more baggage!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
When a band performs live on a TV show the cameras are all shooting at once and it's up to the person in the control room to switch back and fourth between cameras to get the best shots for the audience watching at home. When a band is filmed live for the purposes of editing together a performance for a concert video the cameras shoot from many different angles and all the parts are edited together later. When it comes time for the editors to put it all together they don't run all the footage at once and choose from the best angles, like on TV, they usually put together all the shots that show the singers singing so they can sync up the lips to the words and some of the musicians doing things that match up with certain parts of the song, but the rest is just a matter of putting things that look good visually together at the right places so the performance looks good. A lot of what you are actually seeing was probably not actually done at that point in the song but once it's all edited together it looks good so what does it matter. If you watch the performance of Eyes of the World on the Mirage concert video you'll notice the Whoa Whoa Whoa chorus is exactly the same both times. Chances are when they shot the performance they didn't have enough good shots of both choruses so they ran the footage from one both times. So your seeing Christine hitting the wrong keys just means they were using footage from a different part of the song and to make the whole picture look good. Sometimes you have to sacrifice one thing for the other so they were probably hoping that nobody noticed her hands because she looked so good in that shot otherwise.
Thank you so much for your long answer. I understand what you're saying and it seems to be a comprehensible decision.
There's a few more scenes where it doesn't flow properly. Towards the end of "Say You Love Me" you can clearly see a string snapping while Lindsey plays (it's even a close-up during that moment) and when the frame changes, it's back there again.
There's also a moment where Chris changes positions on stage for a few seconds. That woman can move quickly!