Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
It has been said many times its about song LENGTH. End of thread.
Not always true. Stevie had one of the shortest songs on Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Mirage and some of the shortest songs on Tango.
When I see you again 3:52
Welcome to the Room Sara 3:45
Seven Wonders 3:45

Stevie can be wordy and she can deliver long demos. However she is not a musician and cannot make her songs long musically like in Gypsy. The amazing long guitar ending on Gypsy was done by Lindsey and it sounds great.

You may be entitled to your own opinion but not entitled to your own facts

IMHO I don't think Stevie saved her best songs for her solo career especially for Mirage. Most of Bella Donna was written 7 years before the album came out. For Mirage she offered up some of her best work from classic demos: Smile At You, Gypsy, That's Alright (from Buckingham/Nicks), and something more current but beautifully written... Straight Back. I think Straight Back is one of her best written songs. It just seems after Wild Heart during the drug haze her songs were not as good. I don't care for her songs on Tango but they are much better than anything on RAL IMHO.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-27-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Sara: 6.22
Storms: 5.31
Sisters of the Moon: 4.42
Angel: 4.54
Beautiful Child: 5.21
Total: 26.50 (5 songs)

Christine songs on Tusk: 20.18 (6 songs)
Lindsey songs on Tusk: 26.54 (9 songs)

I stand corrected on a previous post I made suggesting Stevie had the longest song time on Tusk. In fact Lindsey's songs totaled longer than hers by 4 seconds.
Dang! They feel so short though!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
IMHO I don't think Stevie saved her best songs for her solo career especially for Mirage. Most of Bella Donna was written 7 years before the album came out. For Mirage she offered up some of her best work from classic demos: Smile At You, Gypsy, That's Alright (from Buckingham/Nicks), and something more current but beautifully written... Straight Back. I think Straight Back is one of her best written songs.
Agree, and don't forget If You Were My Love, I think the FM Demo is the best version of this song.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've often pondered this question myself- especially on Mirage like others have said, when her voice is just GOLD and she brought so much great material to the table. I understand why her contributions were limited on Tango.

A related question I've been wrestling with with all the now officially released demos and outtakes- WHY were so many of Stevie's INCREDIBLE backing vocals taken off? Especially on Rumours- You Make Lovin' Fun and Oh Daddy. Her harmony on Oh Daddy especially is just perfect, and I love her on "Lovin".

The new version of I Know I'm Not Wrong with Stevie is by far my favorite version. It's rough but could have been cleaned up to still include some backup. Same with Book of Love- she sounds so great on that track!
Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierocks87 View Post
I've often pondered this question myself- especially on Mirage like others have said, when her voice is just GOLD and she brought so much great material to the table. I understand why her contributions were limited on Tango.

A related question I've been wrestling with with all the now officially released demos and outtakes- WHY were so many of Stevie's INCREDIBLE backing vocals taken off? Especially on Rumours- You Make Lovin' Fun and Oh Daddy. Her harmony on Oh Daddy especially is just perfect, and I love her on "Lovin".

The new version of I Know I'm Not Wrong with Stevie is by far my favorite version. It's rough but could have been cleaned up to still include some backup. Same with Book of Love- she sounds so great on that track!
I agree, Stevie's background vocals are some of my favorite of all her vocals. She does harmony so well. It really is a shame that so many never made it to the final versions. Hold Me is one of my all time favorite FM songs as is, but when I heard the early version with Stevie singing with Chris, I loved it even more!
Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Macfan4life;1202072]Not always true. Stevie had one of the shortest songs on Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Mirage and some of the shortest songs on Tango.
When I see you again 3:52
Welcome to the Room Sara 3:45
Seven Wonders 3:45

Stevie can be wordy and she can deliver long demos. However she is not a musician and cannot make her songs long musically like in Gypsy. The amazing long guitar ending on Gypsy was done by Lindsey and it sounds great.

You may be entitled to your own opinion but not entitled to your own facts
Well she wasn't there for Tango so didn't derserve it. I think after Mirage things changed because she wasn't as involved. So is her running time on Mirage MUCH shorter then the others?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
So is her running time on Mirage MUCH shorter then the others?
Are people really so incapable of looking things up?
Stevie's songs on Mirage were the equivalent of one whole song less than Chris and Lindsey;

Stevie: 11.50
Christine: 15.51
Lindsey: 15.14

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Are people really so incapable of looking things up?
Stevie's songs on Mirage were the equivalent of one whole song less than Chris and Lindsey;

Stevie: 11.50
Christine: 15.51
Lindsey: 15.14
yeah but she had at least one whole song LESS than they did, so of course her time would reflect this.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yeah but she had at least one whole song LESS than they did, so of course her time would reflect this.
yeah but the point is, on previous albums she had less songs but roughly the equivalent time. On Mirage she's hard done by as she has less songs but also less time.
Are her Mirage songs longer? yes and no. Two are relatively long compared to most songs on the album but one is fairly average length. The long ones aren't the longest though... WYWH is the longest overall. In general her Mirage songs are much shorter than Tusk. I guess as they knew Tusk was going to be a double album they didn't need to push her as much to cut them down.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Agree, and don't forget If You Were My Love, I think the FM Demo is the best version of this song.
Stevie as well as the rest of the band were at the apex of their career in 1981-1982. Stevie had a huge catalog of brilliant songs. Bella Donna is a masterpiece. Stevie's songs on Mirage are top notch. I wish the angry version of Smile at You made it to Mirage and Oh Diane was dropped. It would have given Mirage more depth for sure. This is just my opinion but Lindsey was definitely not going to give Stevie anymore songs than 3 on Mirage. While recording the album, Bella Donna was still cranking out singles and high on the charts. I see him grabbing the wheel to make sure the new album was not going to be Bella Donna 2 or make Stevie even a bigger star. I don't see Stevie protesting because she just had the biggest moment in her life as a recording artist.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Macfan, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. And I think Mirage would have been a stronger album if they had cut Oh Diane and put in Stevie's song in it's place.

Last edited by bwboy; 02-27-2017 at 08:54 PM..
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Macfan, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. And I think Mirage would have been a stronger album if they had cut Oh Diane and put in Sfevie's song in it's place.
Or removed Empire State. Or both songs!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Stevie as well as the rest of the band were at the apex of their career in 1981-1982. Stevie had a huge catalog of brilliant songs. Bella Donna is a masterpiece. Stevie's songs on Mirage are top notch. I wish the angry version of Smile at You made it to Mirage and Oh Diane was dropped. It would have given Mirage more depth for sure. This is just my opinion but Lindsey was definitely not going to give Stevie anymore songs than 3 on Mirage. While recording the album, Bella Donna was still cranking out singles and high on the charts. I see him grabbing the wheel to make sure the new album was not going to be Bella Donna 2 or make Stevie even a bigger star. I don't see Stevie protesting because she just had the biggest moment in her life as a recording artist.
I do agree that Oh diane could have been dropped. ugh.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Or removed Empire State. Or both songs!
Very true. Oh Diane is repetitious and Empire State is just... there. Even Goodbye Angel is more interesting than those two.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Macfan, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. And I think Mirage would have been a stronger album if they had cut Oh Diane and put in Stevie's song in it's place.
Except it was a minor hit in Europe.

THE Stephen Hopkins