Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:41 PM

ur gonna kick urself when you hear it

and...........it might make u like the song

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-19-2005 at 11:53 AM..
Old 09-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Apparently, from what I've read, Dave Mason (who had been living in Mick's "guest house" at the time) hounded Mick until he relented and let him in the band.

Why Mick didn't even bother to ask Todd Sharp just boggles my mind...he's a fantastic guitarist, he's a singer/songwriter, he went to Africa with Mick for The Visitor, he'd played in The Zoo, on Christine's album & tour (wrote "I'm The One" for her), and was with Bob Welch's band from 1978-81. He basically WAS a logical choice...but according to his Q&A here, Mick never asked.
Why Fleetwood Mac even released Time boggles my mind. To me that is the worst album ever!! Christine should have stayed away from the project for her own good and released her songs and they should have released the music under a different name. This album was just all over the place in terms of any form of cohesion.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACFAN
Why Fleetwood Mac even released Time boggles my mind.
It was to be the next incarnation of FM. Too bad the public wasn't willing to accept it without ole what's her name. And it really died the death when Mick realized Lindsey was interested in coming back into the fold.
Time's not that bad. And Bekka's got an amazing voice. WAAAAY better than.....you know who!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why Fleetwood Mac even released Time boggles my mind.

BFD, its a Fleetwood Mac album, get over it. Fleetwood Mac existed for nearly a decade BEFORE those two California brats joined, they carried on without 'em. Big f-ing deal.

Why Fleetwood Mac even carried on after Peter Green left boggles mine. But, that's a whole 'nother thread.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why Fleetwood Mac even released Time boggles my mind. To me that is the worst album ever!!
Please. It isn't even the worst Fleetwood Mac album, far less the worst album ever.
Quote:
Christine should have stayed away from the project for her own good and released her songs and they should have released the music under a different name.
Why would Christine stay away from a project in which she was there from the beginning? When they started working on the album, it was just Mick, John, and Christine. Then they added Bekka, and then Dave. Billy Burnette rejoined shortly thereafter.
Quote:
This album was just all over the place in terms of any form of cohesion.
On that I'll agree, and have said it was what really hurt the album for me. As I've said, considering that "Time," "Street Angel," and "Out Of The Cradle" combined sold less than 400,000 copies says more to me about the overall popularity of Fleetwood Mac, REGARDLESS OF PERSONNEL, than it does about the quality of the albums themselves.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=SteveMacD]Please. It isn't even the worst Fleetwood Mac album, far less the worst album ever.

Why would Christine stay away from a project in which she was there from the beginning? When they started working on the album, it was just Mick, John, and Christine. Then they added Bekka, and then Dave. Billy Burnette rejoined shortly thereafter.

To me it is the worst Fleetwood Mac album. Christine should have stayed away because an album of her alone would have been way better than the piece of **** Time is. Sad part is Dave Mason has done some great work, just not with Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited by MACFAN; 09-01-2005 at 09:17 PM..
Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
BFD, its a Fleetwood Mac album, get over it. Fleetwood Mac existed for nearly a decade BEFORE those two California brats joined, they carried on without 'em. Big f-ing deal.

Why Fleetwood Mac even carried on after Peter Green left boggles mine. But, that's a whole 'nother thread.
Get over what? The fact that I think Time sucks....please. I like every Fleetwood Mac album that "those two California Brats" are not on. Time is just not one of them.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
It was to be the next incarnation of FM. Too bad the public wasn't willing to accept it without ole what's her name. And it really died the death when Mick realized Lindsey was interested in coming back into the fold.
Time's not that bad. And Bekka's got an amazing voice. WAAAAY better than.....you know who!
Yeah Bekka can sing Im not denying that. Better than Stevie no. Bekka's body of work does not hold a candle to Stevie's. Time died before it hit the stores.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine should have stayed away because an album of her alone would have been way better than the piece of **** Time is.
Again, she was the only singer/songwriter who was involved with the project from the very beginning, so it makes no sense for her to have stayed away. As for an album of her alone, well that isn't Fleetwood Mac! Fleetwood Mac has never only had one singer. Why start going down that road 28 years later? And most folks who follow the band somewhat closely weren't shocked that Bekka Bramlett ended up in the group. Actually, I suspected from a conversation I had with Mick the one time I met him that Dave Mason would end up in the band. In any event, there are some really good songs on "Time," and honestly, I could find six songs on "Time" that I'd enjoy listening to, which is one more than I get with "Penguin." Let's face it, the band is at it's best with three songwriters. Two isn't enough, four is overkill.
Quote:
Sad part is Dave Mason has done some great work, just not with Fleetwood Mac.
As somebody who has all of his solo albums and his work with Traffic (check out the discography section), I completely agree. I was very disappointed in his "Time" stuff, although I do like the toned-down 1994 version of "Blow By Blow."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah Bekka can sing Im not denying that. Better than Stevie no. Bekka's body of work does not hold a candle to Stevie's.
I didn't SAY she had more hits, or number of songs written. I said she's a better singer. Technique-wise, she is.
I guess when she's animated as a barnyard animal on South Park, she'll have it made!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah Bekka can sing Im not denying that. Better than Stevie no.
In the truest sense, yes, Bekka is the better singer. Her range is considerable, and her tone is more universal. But, Stevie is more than a singer. She's a personna. She has a distinct image. It doesn't matter that she has almost no range these days, the actual singing is only a part of who she is.
Quote:
Bekka's body of work does not hold a candle to Stevie's.
Well, duh! Stevie is older and did not have the burdon of having to be compared to her legendary mother or two other legendary rock women. Hell, Stevie didn't have the burdon of being THE girl in the band. She openly admits that Christine's time in the band made it easier for her to be accepted by Mac fans. Stevie was able to join a band that had a mild following, but was not terribly well known as a complete unknown herself, create an image, and was able to be judged on her own merits as a singer/songwriter/performer. That was never in Bekka's cards. By the time Bekka joined, the band had been THE biggest band in history, and everything from '87 on has just been a footnote in the story. So, really, their situations are so completely different, that to try and compare their careers is really pointless. I'm sure the career Bekka has had isn't necessarily the one she wanted, but she sure has been a backing vocalist of choice for a lot of huge name acts.
Quote:
Time died before it hit the stores.
Because the "Time" band didn't do anything to promote the album. Again, I think we have Mr. Buckingham to thank for that. As I'll keep saying, I think it's slightly more than coincidental that "Twisted" was released seven months to the day "Time" was released.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I didn't SAY she had more hits, or number of songs written. I said she's a better singer. Technique-wise, she is.
I guess when she's animated as a barnyard animal on South Park, she'll have it made!
Well for that matter, Ive seen lots of girls in clubs who are great singers but it's not just the voice that makes a true star and a great talent. John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Chryssie Hynde and so many others are not technically perfect singers yet they became hugely successful in their medium. I **** on all that technique wise nonsense.

I guess she will so she hasn't.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
In the truest sense, yes, Bekka is the better singer. Her range is considerable, and her tone is more universal. But, Stevie is more than a singer. She's a personna. She has a distinct image. It doesn't matter that she has almost no range these days, the actual singing is only a part of who she is.

Well, duh! Stevie is older and did not have the burdon of having to be compared to her legendary mother or two other legendary rock women. Hell, Stevie didn't have the burdon of being THE girl in the band. She openly admits that Christine's time in the band made it easier for her to be accepted by Mac fans. Stevie was able to join a band that had a mild following, but was not terribly well known as a complete unknown herself, create an image, and was able to be judged on her own merits as a singer/songwriter/performer. That was never in Bekka's cards. By the time Bekka joined, the band had been THE biggest band in history, and everything from '87 on has just been a footnote in the story. So, really, their situations are so completely different, that to try and compare their careers is really pointless. I'm sure the career Bekka has had isn't necessarily the one she wanted, but she sure has been a backing vocalist of choice for a lot of huge name acts.

Because the "Time" band didn't do anything to promote the album. Again, I think we have Mr. Buckingham to thank for that. As I'll keep saying, I think it's slightly more than coincidental that "Twisted" was released seven months to the day "Time" was released.
Christine being in the band had no influence on Stevie being accepted by the fans. Stevie was accepted by the fans because of her voice, looks and talent not because the band had another woman in it. Whats the difference, if the fans were not going to like Stevie, Christine could not make them.

When I saw the Time band in 94 I guess, I was embarrassed for them. They were on a bill with 3 other acts that were mediocore at best (except for Benatar). Bekka looked ridiculous in her mini Mick outfit of black hot pants, white shirt and black vest. And when her and Mick stood together on the stage for GDW (or Landslide I forget which one) in basically matching outfits it was hysterical. I was like what is this The Partridge Family. Time did nothing for the name Fleetwood Mac. Im glad it is a very brief footnote in the history of the band. Im sure in hindsight all concerned with it know it was a mistake.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Again, (Christine) was the only singer/songwriter who was involved with the project from the very beginning, so it makes no sense for her to have stayed away.
It never seemed like Christine's heart was into 'Time' though. She has said her being on that album was a "contractual obligation," and in her AOL interview to promote 'Time,' she talked about how much she missed Lindsey and Stevie and hoped they'd all work together again.

Rather odd to openly discuss how much better things are when your former bandmates are in the equation, instead of focusing on the strengths of your current bandmates and your current album.

That being said, I rather like 'Time.' I wasn't sure what I'd think of it before I bought it (back in '95), but was quite pleasantly surprised that I truly liked it.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The biggest mistake Fleetwood Mac made was The Dance...it was the death-knell of the creativity of the band. A move backwards instead of forward. The proof that they couldn't get out from under the Rumours parachute. They should've just called it a day after Tusk. Let Stevie & Lindsey go full time into solo careers in 1980.

Then re-establish Fleetwood Mac from THAT point with a new lineup. (re-enlist Bob Welch, who would bring along Todd Sharp, and add Martha Davis & Marty Jourard)

Last edited by chiliD; 09-02-2005 at 09:39 AM..