User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live in Koblenz 1988

http://www.geocities.com/the3birdsofrhiannon/index.html

Wonderfully shared on the above site is the spine-tingling version of "I Loved Another Woman/Brown Eyes" segue from the 1988 Koblenz concert.

I highly recommend a listen...from Peter Green to Tusk within 7 minutes.

WOWIE-WOW-WOW-WOW!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh that whole show is GREAT. Really, it's got excellent sound (I had always wanted something with good quality, and complete, from that tour), and the song choices have so much variety, the performance is incredible... and that moment, with "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You", followed with the "I Loved Another Woman/Brown Eyes" medley (I just think that adding Peter Green songs to the set was a GREAT move) is just the best thing they could do.

This band had a lot of potential... I'm really sorry that Rick had to leave after the Behind The Mask tour, because I feel he and Billy brought really important aspects to the sound of the Mac.

Song of the moment - Don't Look Down
Old 12-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree...that three song stretch is one of, if not, THE best three song triology in any live set they've ever done! That arrangement of "Brown Eyes" was great...although, WAY too short.

Also, Tiffany at:
http://www.bluewhitefire.com

Has the December 1987 LA Forum show for download.

The sets are very similiar...but, at the LA show, they played "Rattlesnake Shake" (great version) instead of "Stop Messin' Round" (tough to beat)...too bad they felt they couldn't play BOTH songs in the set.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree. I have a number of Tango bootlegs and the Koblenz show has the best sound quality of them all. It's too bad that the Tango DVD from the San Francisco show doesn't have Brown Eyes & HAEWAFY.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:35 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I Loved Another Woman with Brown Eyes? How could it be more perfect!! That was sooo enjoyable to listen to, and I was in a trance the whole time. I agree with ChiliD that Brown Eyes is way to short...that whole thing left me drooling for more! I love Green and Christine more and more every day

Thanks for the links too, trackaghost!

Shamus
Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I enjoyed I Loved Another Woman into Brown Eyes also. I think Billy and Rick did a good job playing Peter Green's bluesy material. And I always love HAEWAFY.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Until I was looking at these BTM concert downloads earlier today I had never known that they did Don't Let Me Down Again live. I saw one of the BTM shows and dont remember that. How odd for that line up to do a BuckinghamNicks song (or at least odd that they did one penned by Lindsey!). But they did a great version and Stevie sounds pretty inspired on it, too!
Ricoh
Old 12-04-2003, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ricohv
Until I was looking at these BTM concert downloads earlier today I had never known that they did Don't Let Me Down Again live. I saw one of the BTM shows and dont remember that. How odd for that line up to do a BuckinghamNicks song (or at least odd that they did one penned by Lindsey!).
Ricoh
They did "Don't Let Me Down Again" on the Tango tour in 1987-88. However, they never did it on the 1990 BTM tour.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's always a smarty-pants lurking in the backdrops waiting to correct me!
Ok- MY BAD! I got mixed up. And this probably explains why I don't remember hearing it at the BTM show I saw. Hmm, it doesn't explain why I don't remember it at the TITN show I saw though!

But that correction actually gives me even more of a point-because isn't it even more weird that they would do a Lindsey song (and not like GYOW where it's almost expected-but as one of the "filler" songs) right on the heels of his departure? Almost like saying "see, the new guys can fill your shoes-and we're gonna have 'em sing stuff YOU wrote before you even joined Fleetwood Mac!"
It just seems like it would've been less insulting to Linds, and more of a tip of the hat to the new guys, to have one of the "virtually unknown to the mainstream concert-goer" songs be a song from Rick or Billy's back catalog. JMO!
Ricoh
Old 12-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE Seven Wonders from the Koblenz show... The BEST EVER
Old 12-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
originally posted by ricohv
...because isn't it even more weird that they would do a Lindsey song (and not like GYOW where it's almost expected-but as one of the "filler" songs) right on the heels of his departure? Almost like saying "see, the new guys can fill your shoes-and we're gonna have 'em sing stuff YOU wrote before you even joined Fleetwood Mac!"
I think that "Don't Let Me Down Again" was a GREAT song for Billy to do...it fits his "rockabilly" style like a glove. I don't think it was an "insult" at all. It had already been incorporated into the Fleetwood Mac repetoire anyway.

For a new member of Fleetwood Mac to sing/play a song by their predecessor (however "immediate") isn't an "insult", it's REQUIRED. Every successor to Peter Green has had to sing his songs, Lindsey, included...also, Lindsey had to sing a Bob Welch & Danny Kirwan tune or two, as well. Were they "insults" to Peter, Danny or Bob? Again, I don't think so. Even Christine McVie sang "Jumping At Shadows" all the way up to late 1975.

Bob Welch even covered "Shake Your Moneymaker" (the FMac cover, sung by Jeremy Spencer, of an old Elmore James tune) as an encore tune during his French Kiss tour.

Quote:
originally posted by ricohv
...and more of a tip of the hat to the new guys, to have one of the "virtually unknown to the mainstream concert-goer" songs be a song from Rick or Billy's back catalog.
Yep. I'll agree there. And, again, I say Fleetwood Mac mis-utilized both Billy & Rick's talents their entire tenure in the band. Although, during the 1994/95 tour, Billy's "The Bigger The Love" (which Billy recorded twice on two different solo albums and that John McVie recorded for his "Gotta Band" album) was featured in Fleetwood Mac's set.

Billy Burnette songs that Fleetwood Mac should've incorporated into their set:

Try Me
It Ain't Over
(which Christine sings backgrounds on)
Honey Hush (a cover of one of his dad or uncle's...Fleetwood Mac had previously recorded it for Kiln House, titled as "Hi Ho Silver")
Don't Say No
Brother To Brother
(Rick Vito plays guitar on Billy's solo version)
I'm Not Me (Billy recorded it on a solo album AND was the title cut for Mick's Zoo's album)
Angel Come Home (the Beach Boys tune that Billy sang on Mick's Zoo's album)
Old 12-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
I agree. I have a number of Tango bootlegs and the Koblenz show has the best sound quality of them all.
I guess because it was radio broadcast. Most of the '87 recordings are audience recordings -- a lot of them are really tinny, like Landover back in October.

I recorded the two nights at the L.A. Forum, which I guess are circulating. All these performances were so similar, really. I don't think anyone has San Diego on tape, but just pretend your copy of L.A. is San Diego, & there ya go!
Old 12-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ricohv
But that correction actually gives me even more of a point-because isn't it even more weird that they would do a Lindsey song (and not like GYOW where it's almost expected-but as one of the "filler" songs) right on the heels of his departure? Almost like saying "see, the new guys can fill your shoes-and we're gonna have 'em sing stuff YOU wrote before you even joined Fleetwood Mac!"
Billy really digs Lindsey, though. He said a bunch of times right after he joined Fleetwood how big a fan he was of Lindsey Buckingham. Fans who are musicians just love to play the songs written by their idols. I betcha it was Billy's idea to play "Don't Let Me Down Again." In fact, I betcha Billy's been singing that one in his living room for thirty years.

Didn't someone ask Billy about this for his Q&A?

(P.S. I betcha it was Rick's idea to play "I Loved Another Woman," being the huge Peter Green fan he is.)
Old 12-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree, this is a great show! I'd never heard a TITN show before now, and at first the old songs sounded really weird without Lindsey, but now I really like it. I only have one problem: I can't hear Christine's vocals on Everywhere or Brown Eyes, but I can hear the chorus on both. Strange....
Old 12-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
(P.S. I betcha it was Rick's idea to play "I Loved Another Woman," being the huge Peter Green fan he is.)
Not exactly...but close...Rick was wanting to do "Black Magic Woman", saying something to the effect of: "It's about time Fleetwood Mac take back the song from Santana"...but John McVie was strongly against it for that very reason. "I Loved Another Woman" was the compromise.

I really liked their version of "Stop Messin' Round", too...although, in 1988, it was a total Rick Vito vehicle...by 1990, Christine had added a really cool barrelhouse-type piano solo. Thank GOD, they left the horn section at home.

Last edited by chiliD; 12-07-2003 at 09:41 PM..