User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
..and time has been kind to Stevie's voice??
More so than to Lb's

The thing about La Nicks is she is very careful with her voice. She can still still in her higher range, but she does not. For example, she is very high in the Chris Issak Christmas video and the recent Insider with Tom Petty, which was lovely. Personally, I think she lowers her stuff so her voice will not be strained with all the touring.

I think time has been kindest to CM's voice. But, CM never toured as much La Nicks and, perhaps, LB. CM also never really did any kind of vocal acrobats either - her voice, which is good, is not really suited for that like La Nicks' voice or, to a lesser extent, LB's voice.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If you listen to Crystal, vocally he used to lay back and let his voice glide..... Lindsey was a dream on the white album... He did some amazing stuff on Mirage too...
He's also good with sort of spoken word singing... But overall as a singer... sometimes flat... he belts and screams his voice out of tune... His voice since the Dance has a lot to be desired to my ears...

I would agree mostly with this statement. I think his voice was best during the Mirage tour. It still sounded great on the Dance. I like his voice now, too, but he's lost a bit of range. I like how he "uses what he has" though. I still find him immensely entertaining.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
I think time has been kindest to CM's voice.
And you know why the years have been kind to her? Years and years of smoking, drugs, and alcohol abuse. I think her vocal cords have been in a preserved state since the early 80s.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
And you know why the years have been kind to her? Years and years of smoking, drugs, and alcohol abuse. I think her vocal cords have been in a preserved state since the early 80s.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
Much like my liver

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I kind of love the fact that he doesn't use an ear monitor.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I kind of love the fact that he doesn't use an ear monitor.
I do too. For the small shows I can understand why someone might not, but I don't recall him using one during the Dance tour or the Say You Will tour.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
The thing about La Nicks is she is very careful with her voice. She can still still in her higher range, but she does not. For example, she is very high in the Chris Issak Christmas video and the recent Insider with Tom Petty, which was lovely. Personally, I think she lowers her stuff so her voice will not be strained with all the touring.
i don't know. i don't think it's so much that she's preserving it; i seriously doubt she could consistently hit her higher range notes.

i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.. but you have unlimited tries to hit the note in the studio. you get one chance live. she doesn't ever take that chance, probably because she knows she can't do it. and when they are there, they sound very nasal compared to the other notes.

i think it's probably the same with lindsey.. try it til you get it in the studio, don't dare attempt it on the road.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey sings but isn't a good singer technically- he never was. But is Neil Young, Dylan, Jagger, Reed, Petty? No. But even more as these examples, LB uses his voice as an instrument, esp on his solowork. All the backingnoises through fooling around with his own vocaltracks prove that. And live he compensates the possibilities of the studio with searching for the emotion and overstretching for the effect. I can understand everybody who claims he's off at times, but as you all know, I LOVE his live vocal style for exactly that reason. It's a form of soulsearching and that's vulnerability on a stick. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But everyone who aims for the edge falls off at times. That's part of the gutty approach. But if it works, it splits your spine. He still can hit my soul, and that last tour proved it more than ever, maybe even because of the lack of range. Comparing to Stevie or Christine is totally irrelevant. It's not about how time ages the voice, it's about what you do with it. And this guy still plays with his voice, in stead of trying to reach for the expected.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Lindsey sings but isn't a good singer technically- he never was. But is Neil Young, Dylan, Jagger, Reed, Petty? No. But even more as these examples, LB uses his voice as an instrument, esp on his solowork. All the backingnoises through fooling around with his own vocaltracks prove that. And live he compensates the possibilities of the studio with searching for the emotion and overstretching for the effect. I can understand everybody who claims he's off at times, but as you all know, I LOVE his live vocal style for exactly that reason. It's a form of soulsearching and that's vulnerability on a stick. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But everyone who aims for the edge falls off at times. That's part of the gutty approach. But if it works, it splits your spine. He still can hit my soul, and that last tour proved it more than ever, maybe even because of the lack of range. Comparing to Stevie or Christine is totally irrelevant. It's not about how time ages the voice, it's about what you do with it. And this guy still plays with his voice, in stead of trying to reach for the expected.
This happenes everytime I think...I'm just going to continue waiting for your posts and then I can say things like, "I completely agree with everything you said!" or "I couldn't have said it better myself." This was very well put!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LiddyBuckFan View Post
This happenes everytime I think...I'm just going to continue waiting for your posts and then I can say things like, "I completely agree with everything you said!" or "I couldn't have said it better myself." This was very well put!
thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
thanks!
You're welcome!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cant stand the way he sings nowadays. It's like he's screeching everything and it's almost unintelligible at times. But he's still a great guitarist!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love both versions of this song, but vocally, "I Am Waiting" live, on Soundstage, is awesome to me.

**This is just the audio if anyone wants a listen, not the actual Soundstage perfomance**

Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472 View Post
I cant stand the way he sings nowadays. It's like he's screeching everything and it's almost unintelligible at times. But he's still a great guitarist!
did you SEE him on this last tour? His voice was delicate and fantastic on most of the tunes.