Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Ledgie

Default Single version of "Silver Springs"

Okay, so I've scoured the internet and I've never been able to definitively figure out what is the deal with the true single version of "Silver Springs" that was released as a b-side in 1977. From what I've been able to ascertain, it is either totally unavailable digitally (or is it?)

Anyways, let's go through what we have...

There's the 1977 b-side version.

Then there's the version released in 1992 on the 25 Years - The Chain. As far as song length, it seems like it has roughly the same playing time as the single version. However, is it the same mix? I've tried to compare my version for the box set, with a vinyl rip on YouTube. However, I'm just unsure due to the fidelity of listening to something on YouTube. So does anybody know if this is indeed the single mix?

In 2002 it was issued on The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac. Which version was this? I see it's listed as "4:30" on iTunes so it's a shorter mix. But is the single mix or some remix? Anybody know?

Then we have the version released in 2004 and inserted into the tracklist of the original Rumours album. This version is obviously different as it has a different running time and is mixed differently.

Then there is the version released in 2013 on the latest Rumours reissue. Since I no longer have the 2004 edition, is this the 2013 version the same as the 2004 version?

And lastly, there's the version on Stevie's Crystal Visions compilation. I'm pretty this is the same mix as the 2004 Rumours reissue right?

I know this is a cluster, but I'm just trying to see if I indeed have a copy of the song as it was originally intended and not a latter day rethink.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

when I have time I will do a good vinyl rip of the original single. I have a fairly good copy at home. The problem with a lot of those vinyl rips is they are done with crappy crap crappppppppy USB Crosley turntables or similar., with TERRIBLE cartridges and CRAPPY styluses and incredible terrible tonearms with crappy speed control which pitches the records up or down in key a little. Did I mention that those things are crappy? They dont get the lows or highs and seem to amplify every single pop and crack. Then they have some type of computer program that processes the heck out of it in some attempt to noise reduce that scrubs every nuisance out of the vinyl resulting in something that sounds like a 1997 Real Audio file.

I have a nice direct drive turntable with a fairly high level Rega tonearm and a terrific Shure cartridge that I feed into a Pioneer sx-1010 that has been recapped and has a very lovely phono preamp in it.

What I plan to so it run the turntable into the preamp and then out the Tape Out directly into my Macbook. I will try and get the single "lossless" as I can and then convert it to something downloadable and put it online for you.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 AM

All the available versions without copyright issues are here complete of dates: http://stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot...inning_42.html

Then this is my favourite version that is from the rumours extended version but I don't know if it's from the 2004 or 2013 one: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/1a72...rings_Demo.mp3
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Ledgie

I've never heard the original vinyl version. But I do know the ones on the Chain box set and The Very Best Of, and I'm not wild about the remix on the latter.

It's like they took one of her multi-tracked harmonies and elevated it to lead vocal. But only there's a little mistake. Not apparent on the Chain version when it was more buried, in one instance, it sounds like she sings, "They'll follow you down till the sound of my voice will haunt you." Who the Hell is they?

I don't think "remastering" is meant to involve major remixing, but whatever. I kind of think of it like George Lucas radically retinkering with another 1977 masterpiece, Star Wars. Leave it alone. You got it right the first time.

Last edited by brad975; 12-17-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I noticed that, too. I think The Chain version is the same as the original b-side, just remixed slightly to be optimized for CD.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went through my collection of 45s and found that i have two.

1. Version 1 is an earlier pressing. It is inscribed with "P-91W -2" and "A-19" on the lead out and palm tree lined street. I would describe it as "Good" borderline Very Good quality.

2. Version 2 "7-21990/wbs 1304-sr1 |-|" I would also describe it as "Good" borderline Very Good. It was a "Back to back hits" pressing. Probably from the 80s. Often times made to put in Jukeboxes.

Both obviously were dirty and not "mint and virgin".

I used my best vinyl brush and cleaned as much dust as I could, then vinyl cleaner on them and decided to do a "wet" rip. This is often used when a record is dirty. I played it through once to dislodge any dust I could, then rinsed again and then started playback. While playing back I carefully dripped additional drops of water on the record ahead of the stylus. I did this transfer with the Shure M97x. i left the sweeper in the down position to pick up as much dirt as possible.

The turntable used was a Kenwood KD-550 with a Rega RB250 tonearm with some upgrades. The cartridge is a Shure M97x with a new stylus. The amplifier is a Pioneer sx-1010 and the regular phono stage. The sound was sent out through the REC on Tape 1 output and into a Macbook Pro recording with Garage Band in stereo. No effects or post recording processing was done.

I recorded both and then went back to the files and decided which one sounded better. There were minor differences in the upper and lower end, but they were obviously the same mix. The difference was in the mastering.

The rip is AIFF, 1411 KBPS, 44kHZ (the mac line in can only input that sample )
rate)
The downsample is Apple Lossless in 801Kbps, sample size 16bit, and 44.100 kHz

I have uploaded them to Drop box, I have never used drop box though, so good luck getting them. If someone wants to grab them and put them somewhere else feel free. Since it is copywriter material you have to own Silver Springs in at least ONE form or another and since we are all fans I BETTER have bough Rumours at least three times!

Someone reply here to this thread and tell me to PM you and I will tell you where to get it. I don't use the mail system here so someone else is gonna have to be this. I don't want anyone getting in trouble here for posting the link

Last edited by AnthonyMI; 12-17-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Ledgie

Just listened to a YouTube video of the original single playing, and it sounds much like The Chain version.

I guess with the remaster remix they wanted to amp up the angry intensity to give it more "Dance"-like drama.

But in my personal opinion, the song loses some of its prettiness as a result (I like the more even balance of her vocal tracks on the original).

And I especially like hearing, "I'll follow you down..." in the forefront of the mix. Not "They'll follow you..." WTF?

These factors actually bother me enough that I skip past the remaster when it comes up on my Pandora.

Thank God I've got the box set.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

another huge difference i am noticing is that right around 3:45 and onward it sounds like the reduced the backing vocals and brought stevie alone far froward. It is almost as if she is singing alone. In the original and 25 years The Chain mix they are all about the same.

I am going back and forth, and The Chain box set is very faithful to the original. I think it is the same "mix" just like the second original single I have, only it is mastered with different levels.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it's an interesting insight into the different visions Stevie and Lindsey have for her music.

I agree the original Rumours mix is prettier and I like it the best. I own an original 45 from back in the day and just fell in love with it on the b side of GYOW. It reflects Lindsey's approach, along with inputs of Ken and Richard.

The remix on The Chain has her lead vocal pulled more forward and reflects more of Stevie's preference for how her songs should sound-- she wants her vocal louder and more in the forefront of the mix. I find this mix closer to how her vocals have been on all her solo albums. On the credits for BellaDonna she thanks Shelly Yakus, who engineered it, for "giving me my voice back"…. so, sadly, she clearly thinks her vocals on FM produced stuff up to that point didn't put her voice as upfront as she would like… when I think those vocals on the white album and Rumours and even Tusk are perfect.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never noticed some change between the versions of every album or single. I've been listening to the Crystal Visions one recently, but there's just the same for me...
Anyway, and except for the sound, I think the best version of Silver Springs is the demo of November 1976. Is just, maybe, the most complete version of the song that all we know.
What I discovered, and thanks to the instrumental version (shorter than the released ), is that there's a part where the volume decreases, and that's something I heard later in every version of the song, released on 25 Years: The Chain or later...
Regards!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I noticed that, too. I think The Chain version is the same as the original b-side, just remixed slightly to be optimized for CD.
We have a winner.

John