The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for the play by play michele! somehow i feel you took one for the team - love the article too, hehe poor thing! he might not have said it, but i would have been all "don't you know who he is!?!"
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm confused: Did he play Sick of You and She Acts Like You, as one story says, or Shut Us Down and go Insane, as the other says?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
I'm confused: Did he play Sick of You and She Acts Like You, as one story says, or Shut Us Down and go Insane, as the other says?
You would think that a reporter for Billboard would be a credible source, but Michele was there and posted that he played SUD, Go Insane, NGBA, and Big Love, (and nickslive has the videos to prove it!).
Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
thanks for the play by play michele! somehow i feel you took one for the team - love the article too, hehe poor thing! he might not have said it, but i would have been all "don't you know who he is!?!"
I don't know how old the staff is at my ISP, but no one on the phone seems to know who Fleetwood Mac is. They ask for the name of my site and I tell them and they are like, "S-L-E . . . uh, can you spell that please?" I get exasperated and say, "It's "F" like in Frank." I can understand not knowing their music, but now people in their twenties don't even recognize the band name anymore??

If I had been outside when that happened to Lindsey, I probably wouldn't have said anything to the person at the window, but I would have been a little miffed on his behalf. But I was already in by then, listening to Ryan.

Michele
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Can you imagine if Lindsey lined up with concert goers and someone yelled at him for trying to get in front of them and take cuts?]

Ultimate Classic rock

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/linds...ndtrack-party/

Graham Parker and the Rumour played the Roxy in Los Angeles for the first time in 30 years on Wednesday night (Dec. 12), headlining a three-act ‘This is 40‘ soundtrack release party. After shorter sets by Ryan Adams and Lindsey Buckingham, Parker’s band began a 22-song set that included songs from ‘Howlin’ Wind (1976)’ through ‘Three Chords Good‘ (2012).

The Judd Apatow comedy stars Paul Rudd as a music executive trying to save a tanking record by Parker, who appears as himself in the movie, while dealing with the struggles and well-known troubles (along with a few joys) of turning 40. The musician has two songs on the soundtrack, including ‘Watch the Moon Come Down’ from ‘Stick to Me’ and ‘What Do You Like,’ a song he recorded with the Punch Brothers. A review at Hitfix.com lists those as amongst the highlights from his set, along with ‘Nobody Hurts You’ and ‘Protection.’ All five original members of the Rumour have been with him on the recent reunion tour.

Buckingham played four songs but none of the three that appear on the soundtrack. Hitfix gives his set — which included ‘Shut Us Down’ and ”Go Insane’ — high regards, but Billboard points out that he struggled to get into the venue. Unable to find a back door entrance, he lined up with concertgoers at the box office and sold his plight to the attendant who eventually let him in.

The Avett Brothers, Wilco, Paul Simon, Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney also have songs on the ‘This is 40′ soundtrack, which was released this week in advance of the movie which is out on Dec. 21.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't know how old the staff is at my ISP, but no one on the phone seems to know who Fleetwood Mac is. They ask for the name of my site and I tell them and they are like, "S-L-E . . . uh, can you spell that please?" I get exasperated and say, "It's "F" like in Frank." I can understand not knowing their music, but now people in their twenties don't even recognize the band name anymore??

If I had been outside when that happened to Lindsey, I probably wouldn't have said anything to the person at the window, but I would have been a little miffed on his behalf. But I was already in by then, listening to Ryan.

Michele
Goodness, some people... There is no excuse for that, I don't care how old you are. I'm in my 20s. But then again, I'm always shocked when I find people my age who don't have the musical education I did as a child, music just wasn't important to their parents in the same way. It blows my mind, but at least I'm one of the fortunate few who do know Lindsey Buckingham.

Oh, I wouldn't have had the guts to say that to the person at the window! but I would have said it in my head.

Quote:
[Can you imagine if Lindsey lined up with concert goers and someone yelled at him for trying to get in front of them and take cuts?]
Oh dear! Very well could have happened... I can just picture him, guitar in hand, staring down such an individual.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...d-crowd-402050

Graham Parker Draws Capacity Crowd, Lindsey Buckingham, Ryan Adams to L.A. Show (Concert Review)
11:17 AM PST 12/13/2012 by Chris Willman
Chris Willman

The Bottom Line
The British singer and his beloved late-'70s band The Rumour generate "Sparks" with a thrilling show.
Venue
The Roxy,
West Hollywood
(Tuesday, Dec. 13)

The singer's reunion with his beloved late-'70s band was not just a rumor
spread in Judd Apatow's "This Is 40," as the crew played the packed Roxy for the first time in 33 years.

The least credible moment of Judd Apatow’s new comedy This Is 40 comes when Graham Parker & the Rumour stage an L.A. reunion concert after 30-plus years and only about a hundred fairly passive fans show up. The lie was put to that by Tuesday night’s actual reunion gig at the Roxy, which couldn’t have less resembled the shambolic filmic premonition, particularly in its status as the month’s toughest ticket.

True, the deck was stacked by the fact that Parker’s opening acts were Lindsey Buckingham and Ryan Adams -- making for arguably the most potent triple bill the storied venue had ever hosted, not to mention an overcrowded marquee that surely prompted plenty of near-disastrous double-takes on Sunset Boulevard. But even if the show hadn’t been billed as a This Is 40 release party, the promise of Parker reuniting with the bandmates of his late-'70s salad days would have been the draw of the season for rock fans of a certain age -- even if that age would be better suited toward a soundtrack for This Is 50-ish.

The Apatow film makes a big point out of being deprecating toward Parker as well as celebrating him, with plenty of old-age jokes directed by unsympathetic younger characters toward the 62-year-old singer whose career Paul Rudd’s character is trying to resurrect. (Yes, the day has arrived when “gout” gags are directed at your new-wave heroes.) Not just Parker but all the Rumour members indeed returned to the Roxy as gray-hairs -- except for bare-headed bassist Andrew Bodnar -- but the flame still burned as red as it did when the combo last played the club on the Squeezing Out Sparks tour of 1979, when Parker was wrongly but understandably seen as competing with Elvis Costello for pre-eminent Angry Sneering Young Brit status.

"The promise of Parker reuniting with the bandmates of his late '70s salad days would have been the draw of the season for rock fans of a certain age — even if that age would be better suited toward a soundtrack for 'This is 50-ish.'"

Although rightly regarded as one of the great albums of the late '70s, Squeezing Out Sparks was a bit of a blip for Parker, whose influences before and after veered more toward Van Morrison than anything quite as punkish as that album’s sound indicated. But that’s the material fans were most hankering to hear from this crew -- and they wisely saved all those sparkplugs for the Roxy climax, even if the deliberately more subdued first stretch of the set might’ve had a few audience members wondering if they still had it in ‘em.

Of 22 songs played, six came from the band’s new reunion album, Three Chords Good, while 16 dated to the 1976-80 period when the Rumour was backing Parker. That left only one number from the 32 intervening years, a “mid-period” whose material Parker joked was “a mystery” to his old mates. (That was a bit of an exaggeration, since two Rumour members had played on the album that produced “Get Started, Start a Fire,” the lone track that Parker brought out from his so-called solo years.)
PHOTOS: Six Degrees of Judd Apatow

During the 110-minute show, Parker did just enough comic reminiscing to make you believe he could have added some decent improv to This Is 40. He recalled the band’s earliest shows at the club circa 1976-77, one of which had a manager knocking him off his feet with some well-intended Maui Wowee, only to be told as he stumbled onstage that luminaries including Diana Ross and Joe Cocker were in the audience. “Who was here?” Parker asked the crowd. When there was only the tiniest smatter of whooping, he quipped: “That’s good. Young people.”

He also made light of his '80s work, which found him enjoying greater commercial success even as his critical support went slightly south. “As we all know, the '80s were the best period for music. … Even I had half a haircut. And even Bruce Springsteen danced like this,” he added, swaying his arms from side to side in a devastating parody of the Boss’ “Dancing in the Dark” moves.

He had a better evaluation of the new Three Chords Good: “It’s very, very good.” Parker’s right there, though the material improved onstage, where Bob Andrews’ organ didn’t dominate the mix quite so much as it does on record and the twin-guitar interplay of Brinsley Schwarz and Martin Belmont were brought further to the forefront. They added some electric punch to the poppy “What Do You Like,” a This Is 40 soundtrack exclusive that Parker performs with the Punch Brothers on the recording. And the set really found its stride four songs in with the new “Coathangers,” which had all the muscle of the Sparks material (and which, with its pro-choice theme, might have been intended as a counterpart to the similarly abortion-themed “You Can’t Be Too Strong,” an encore).

The early stretches of the show made a good case the validity of Parker’s pub-rock days and currently more prominent Americana influences. But the crowd was there to indulge in the pre-Nirvana nirvana of Squeezing Out Sparks, and the band delivered at the end with a stretch of six songs from that album (interrupted only “Stupefaction,” from The Up Escalator, the 1980 LP that followed), all sounding as fresh as the day they were birthed. Three decades is too long to go without hearing Belmont and Schwarz in tandem, or the Bodnar/Andrew Goulding rhythm section (also famous for providing the bottom end on Costello’s “Watching the Detectives”).

The sweetness of much of Parker’s current material -- like the lovely sing-along “Stop Cryin’ About the Rain” or R&B-ballad flavor of the single “Long Emotional Ride” -- make it clear that fans were wrong to expect the seeming sneer he had in 1979 to remain fixed in place. But, particularly in a set that also made room for his tenderer or more soulful sides, the Sparks stuff was a lovely scowl to go back to.

The show opened with a brief intro from Apatow, who remarked upon the unlikeliness of the triple bill he’d put together and remarked, “This probably shouldn’t even be happening.” Adams’ appearance was a quickie, consisting three of his prettiest acoustic ballads, including the one that puts a capper on This Is 40, though his hunched, seated status ensured most of the packed crowd only saw tufts of hair from atop his head.

Buckingham stood at full alert for his six-song set, which included not just his 40 contributions but “Go Insane” and a couple of his more intense contributions to the Fleetwood Mac canon, packing about three hours’ worth of a normal mortal’s finger-picking into a half-hour. His set would have stolen any other show, and it made many of us wish that, instead of going out on another Mac tour next year, he were going out on another solo jaunt -- one that everyone present would be smart enough to catch this time.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as Lindsey standing at full alert goes, I was judging Ryan Adams for that. Unfair I know. He has a story telling style that works between him and his audiences and his choices probably have nothing to do with energy. Still, I was condescendingly thinking, "You young weakling. Ha, Lindsey can stand, run across the stage with weighty guitar in hand, and sing . . . for two hours."

Michele
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

check the link - lots and lots of photos and videos.

and lol again at misinformation about the songs LB played. i tweeted them to correct.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20...ty-videospics/

Recap: Graham Parker & the Rumour, Lindsey Buckingham, Ryan Adams at The Roxy’s “This is 40″ Party (Videos/Pics)
DECEMBER 2012 BY ADRIAN GARRO

On Tuesday night, one of those special “Hollywood events” took place at the Roxy Theatre.

Celebrating the release of the soundtrack to Judd Apatow’s new film This is 40 were Graham Parker & the Rumour, Lindsey Buckingham and Ryan Adams.

Apatow and This is 40 star Paul Rudd were both in the building, but the night was more of a showcase for the soundtrack’s very talented musicians.

Buckingham and Adams both performed short solo sets before Parker & the Rumour played a career-spanning set to a room of longtime fans and industry folk.

Adams and Buckingham were stellar. Adams’ short three-song set included tender renditions of Shining Through the Dark (from the This is 40 album), Lucky Now and Everybody Knows.

Buckingham played two of the three new songs he contributed to the soundtrack (Sick of You and She Acts Like You), as well as Fleetwood Mac’s Never Going Back Again (video below), Big Love and his solo song Go Insane (among other selections).

Perhaps the best moment of the night was watching Graham Parker & the Rumour do their thing.

It’d be a long time (30 years at least!) since they’d played the Roxy, and you could sense their enthusiasm of being back together and playing a venue as heralded as the Roxy, nestled right in the middle of the Sunset Strip.

It may have been an “industry event”, but it doubled as a warm trip down memory lane – and one that proved that Parker is still a top-tier performer.

Below, enjoy some videos and pictures from the night – it was great to be there!

Ryan Adams – Lucky Now

Ryan Adams – Shine Through the Dark

Lindsey Buckingham – Go Insane

Lindsey Buckingham – Never Going Back Again

Graham Parker & the Rumour – Protection

Graham Parker & the Rumour - Hey Lord Don’t Ask Me Questions

Graham Parker & the Rumour – I Want You Back (Jackson 5 cover)

And here are some photos from the night:

This show was a special release party for the soundtrack to the film This is 40 – which you can pick up in our Online Store by clicking here.

Also available in the store – Three Chords Good, the reunion album from Graham Parker & the Rumour.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
[B]Buckingham played two of the three new songs he contributed to the soundtrack (Sick of You and She Acts Like You),
Hmmm. Why didn't Lindsey play Brother and Sister? No one to duet with him?

Michele
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Go Insane with intro about talking with JA and Jon Brion -

Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmmm. Why didn't Lindsey play Brother and Sister? No one to duet with him?

Michele

rock cellar magazine guys have been very nice throughout btw - tweet i just received:

@adriangarro
@ellellew thanks - heard conflicting things from a Billboard recap and went with their report (which I guess was wrong). thx!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the vid Elle! Love him - It's a reminder as to why I'm going through these struggles for tickets. (I'm also reminded why I want him to tour solo again...asap )

Btw, those stage lights must have been mighty hot! Also, noticed him shaking his hand out - gotta rest that baby up!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
Thanks for the vid Elle! Love him - It's a reminder as to why I'm going through these struggles for tickets. (I'm also reminded why I want him to tour solo again...asap )

Btw, those stage lights must have been mighty hot! Also, noticed him shaking his hand out - gotta rest that baby up!
yes to solo! i'm already sick of the Mac tour and it didn't even start.

no, no, he's probably sweating b/c of the mad dash across town / struggle to get in the venue

Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ ahh makes perfect sense!

and yes, something that should be exciting is feeling like a job... i really shouldn't complain. for me, the 17th will be the end of it. i'll get what i can get.

sadly, i've never been able to see FM, so it's sort of necessary of course, ill be looking for tickets slightly right of center (have to see his handwork ) when i started looking at tickets, i realized that choosing FM seating is like going to a wedding. are you with the bride or groom?

Last edited by KindOfWoman90; 12-13-2012 at 11:03 PM..