The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My first show was the Saavis Center, St. Louis, Missouri- 2003 (or maybe '04). We traveled all the way from Louisville for our not so stellar seats- we didn't know all the secrets back then- but we LOOOOOVED the show. I was a brand new FM fan, and still there were only 4 or so songs that I didn't know. It was an incredible evening. I remember my mom and sister went to the bathroom during Beautiful Child- one of the songs I didn't know. My dad and I got to tell them about how awesome it was!!

We also went to Nashville at the Startwood Ampitheater, and this was my first experience with floor seats. It was, at that point, the most exciting evening of my life musically!!!!

Then came 3rd row in Columbus, Ohio- 2009!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Junior Ledgie

I’ve been lurking, but this thread makes me giddy and I had to share. July of 1978, Fleetwood Mac sold out 2 shows at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. They added a third show, I MADE my first husband and his friend, drive from Clinton, Iowa to Rockford, IL, in the middle of the night, to get to the nearest ticket box office to be the first in line. They did, they were and we had 10th row, center. We got to the venue early, partied in the parking lot, and saw the helicopter bring the group in. I was 18 years old (yeah, it wasn’t unusual to marry young back then) , and we were blown away by the music. First, Walter Egan opened. Nice. My husband, God rest his soul, swore that when Stevie sang Rhiannon, she floated through the air…LOL...yeah, she did the crouch down thing and stood up very slowly, with the wind blowing her “wings” and hair. It was beautiful, I was hooked. Lindsay’s big curly “fro” bouncing back and forth with the scream of his guitar…..Crazy Mick and quiet John…..Christine ending the show with Songbird….God, I love going back to that place and time.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by momst1 View Post
I’ve been lurking, but this thread makes me giddy and I had to share. July of 1978, Fleetwood Mac sold out 2 shows at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. They added a third show. My husband, God rest his soul, swore that when Stevie sang Rhiannon, she floated through the air…LOL...yeah, she did the crouch down thing and stood up very slowly, with the wind blowing her “wings” and hair. It was beautiful, I was hooked.
A friend of mine once told me when she saw FM back in those days at some outdoor venue, when Stevie lifted her arms into those batwings a huge gust of wind blew out of nowhere and knocked over some of the speakers.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
My first live Fleetwood Mac experience was August or September 1974...the taping of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert around the time that Heroes Are Hard To Find was released.

My first public Fleetwood Mac concert was a few months later in December 1974 at the Long Beach Arena. Climax Blues Band opened. It was one of the last shows of the tour, if not THE last show...and therefore, Bob Welch's last show as a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Just as a side note, the first TICKETS I ever bought for a Fleetwood Mac concert turned out to be one of the shows that WOULD'VE been the "Bogus Fleetwood Mac" that finished the Mystery To Me tour....a local DJ spread the word that the Fleetwood Mac on the road wasn't the "real" Fleetwood Mac, so I got a refund...had I known what a collector's item it would've been, I would've just eaten the cost of the ticket...but when you're 17 and money-poor, those ideas don't hit home quite so fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Can you tell a little bit about the show... Love to hear it..
Well, they were pretty much similar to the Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up?, Live In Chicago 1974 & Live At Hempstead NY bootlegs, except they played a few more &/or different tunes.

Taking the WTRFMPSU set as the template, they also played:

Coming Home
Nightwatch
Homeward Bound
Jewel Eyed Judy
Station Man
Get Like You Used To Be
Jumping At Shadows (with Christine on vocals)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Well, they were pretty much similar to the Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up?, Live In Chicago 1974 & Live At Hempstead NY bootlegs, except they played a few more &/or different tunes.

Taking the WTRFMPSU set as the template, they also played:

Coming Home
Nightwatch
Homeward Bound
Jewel Eyed Judy
Station Man
Get Like You Used To Be
Jumping At Shadows (with Christine on vocals)
Did you have good seats... did they have Doug Graves.. any other guitar? Was it smokin? Did Bob do his talking spells.?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by momst1 View Post
I’ve been lurking, but this thread makes me giddy and I had to share. July of 1978, Fleetwood Mac sold out 2 shows at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. They added a third show, I MADE my first husband and his friend, drive from Clinton, Iowa to Rockford, IL, in the middle of the night, to get to the nearest ticket box office to be the first in line. They did, they were and we had 10th row, center. We got to the venue early, partied in the parking lot, and saw the helicopter bring the group in. I was 18 years old (yeah, it wasn’t unusual to marry young back then) , and we were blown away by the music. First, Walter Egan opened. Nice. My husband, God rest his soul, swore that when Stevie sang Rhiannon, she floated through the air…LOL...yeah, she did the crouch down thing and stood up very slowly, with the wind blowing her “wings” and hair. It was beautiful, I was hooked. Lindsay’s big curly “fro” bouncing back and forth with the scream of his guitar…..Crazy Mick and quiet John…..Christine ending the show with Songbird….God, I love going back to that place and time.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories.
Wowwowowowwwwwwww! Luuuuuuucky!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It was May 2003 in Nashville. I had nosebleeds, but I was so excited to see them I really didn't care.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First concert for me was September of 1997 on the Dance tour. I was 8 years old and my mother took me. We had 24th row center section and I had never been to a concert before. I was absolutely terrified when everyone started yelling hahaha! But when they came out I was just in awe and I totally thought Stevie was waving at me!!

I remember Stevie in a long white jacket, she looked chilly. I remember when they did 'Everywhere' everyone went crazy when Christine sang the high part. After Gold Dust Woman Stevie said it was great to be back in Boston. I remember when she went backstage for ISA she almost got stuck inbetween the speakers because the space was so small.

I was baffled by Lindsey's 'Sardonic World' poem, didn't really know what it was about. I remember Stevie re-entered in like a Harry Potter robe/cloak that I hated haha! I was very upset because my mother spilled my popcorn during 'Sweet Girl'. There was some obnoxious fat lady behind us that was yelling at me (an 8 year old) because I was standing up and dancing.

The whole day of the concert I kept arguing with my mother that they would absolutely do 'Second Hand News' (it was my favorite song at the time). And she was like, no, no, no. My concert happened to be the night they dropped Eyes of the World and added Second Hand News. I remember when they started it, I looked at my mom and literally was like "TOLD YA SO."

I was so excited when Stand Back started, but I was so confused as to why Stevie was in a different cape. I was hoping for the big one with the dots, but she had a silvery one and wore it differently.

No one seems to believe me, but when Mick and Lindsey were doing their thing on NTF, I saw Christine smoking a cigarette on the side of the stage! I was also convinced that the USC marching band would come on stage and do 'Tusk' with them, but of course they didn't (I was such an optimistic child).

Honestly, even though it was great to see them all, I think it was the worst of all the Mac shows I saw. They were musically all over the place.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
A friend of mine once told me when she saw FM back in those days at some outdoor venue, when Stevie lifted her arms into those batwings a huge gust of wind blew out of nowhere and knocked over some of the speakers.
Wow. We all know Stevie has a powerful presence when on stage..........
Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpai View Post
Wowwowowowwwwwwww! Luuuuuuucky!
I know, right? I will never, ever forget it. It will always be the #1 show in my book.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Did you have good seats... did they have Doug Graves.. any other guitar? Was it smokin? Did Bob do his talking spells.?
They had Doug Graves during the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert taping; Bobby Hunt at the December show. Bob handled all the guitar duties himself. (for "gear junkies", Bob had four or five large Morley pedals at the base of his mic stand...a wah-wah, volume, rotating speaker simulator, an echo pedal, as well as a plethora of other fx pedals...and an old Echoplex, later replaced by a Roland Space Echo)

Oh, yeah...especially during the December show (where they had a longer time slot), Bob was very "chatty", both between songs and in the middle of them (much like on the bootleg versions of "Future Games" & "Bermuda Triangle"...story after story). And, just as he did on those 1975-82 versions of "World Turning", Mick came out from behind the kit and did his African Talking Drum solo during "Nightwatch".

For the Kirshner show, which was filmed in the old Long Beach Center Theatre (adjacent to the Sports Arena) and was torn down shortly after the season of Don Kirshner shows was wrapped and a whole new "Performing Arts Center" was built in its place. I was way in the back of the theatre (but the theatre was VERY small, barely held 1,000 people, so it wasn't so bad) slightly off to the right (Bob & Doug's side of the stage)...for the December show at the LB Arena, the stage was moved forward, so that it only was about 1/2-2/3 of the arena seating instead of the full arena. I was in the risers off to the left (stage right...Christine's side) up from the floor about 4-5 rows (about even with the stage height)...about even with the soundboard on the floor. Was off center about 45 degrees. Had I been to my left one section closer to the stage, the left side PA speakers would've obstructed my view of Christine. So I was very fortunate to be where I was. I thought they were GREAT seats, and that it was a fantastic show. It wasn't more than two weeks later, I'd read a small blurb in Rolling Stone magazine about Welch leaving and "the Buckingham Nicks duo" joining Fleetwood Mac. It was really weird because I already HAD the Buckingham Nicks album (which I'd discovered while working for a local record store chain over the previous holiday season...obviously, at first, I was only attracted by the cover photo, but I enjoyed the music as well) but I just couldn't conceive of how they'd fit into Fleetwood Mac's sound.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My first Mac show was November of 1990, the "Behind The Mask" tour. The show was supposed to have been in July of that year, but Christine's father died and they postponed the shows. By the time it resumed Stevie and Christine announced they would be leaving the band at the end of the tour. I had a nightmare prior to the show that the whole thing was cancelled and all they did was talk about Greenpeace. Imagine my surprise when at the end of the show they DID talk about Greenpeace!!!!
I have to say though that the show that night in Hartford, CT was a GREAT show. A very mixed set list and great interaction, although Stevie seemed very out of it or pissed (or both!).
Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
They had Doug Graves during the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert taping; Bobby Hunt at the December show. Bob handled all the guitar duties himself. (for "gear junkies", Bob had four or five large Morley pedals at the base of his mic stand...a wah-wah, volume, rotating speaker simulator, an echo pedal, as well as a plethora of other fx pedals...and an old Echoplex, later replaced by a Roland Space Echo)

Oh, yeah...especially during the December show (where they had a longer time slot), Bob was very "chatty", both between songs and in the middle of them (much like on the bootleg versions of "Future Games" & "Bermuda Triangle"...story after story). And, just as he did on those 1975-82 versions of "World Turning", Mick came out from behind the kit and did his African Talking Drum solo during "Nightwatch".

For the Kirshner show, which was filmed in the old Long Beach Center Theatre (adjacent to the Sports Arena) and was torn down shortly after the season of Don Kirshner shows was wrapped and a whole new "Performing Arts Center" was built in its place. I was way in the back of the theatre (but the theatre was VERY small, barely held 1,000 people, so it wasn't so bad) slightly off to the right (Bob & Doug's side of the stage)...for the December show at the LB Arena, the stage was moved forward, so that it only was about 1/2-2/3 of the arena seating instead of the full arena. I was in the risers off to the left (stage right...Christine's side) up from the floor about 4-5 rows (about even with the stage height)...about even with the soundboard on the floor. Was off center about 45 degrees. Had I been to my left one section closer to the stage, the left side PA speakers would've obstructed my view of Christine. So I was very fortunate to be where I was. I thought they were GREAT seats, and that it was a fantastic show. It wasn't more than two weeks later, I'd read a small blurb in Rolling Stone magazine about Welch leaving and "the Buckingham Nicks duo" joining Fleetwood Mac. It was really weird because I already HAD the Buckingham Nicks album (which I'd discovered while working for a local record store chain over the previous holiday season...obviously, at first, I was only attracted by the cover photo, but I enjoyed the music as well) but I just couldn't conceive of how they'd fit into Fleetwood Mac's sound.
That experience is nothing but cool.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=skuncles;844891]My first Mac show was November of 1990, the "Behind The Mask" tour.
I have to say though that the show that night in Hartford, CT was a GREAT show. A very mixed set list and great interaction, although Stevie seemed very out of it or pissed (or both!).[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was there too. She looked bored ****less through the whole show until the encores in which she came alive and had tons of happy energy for the last three numbers. In those days when she was mad at Mick or whomever she took it out on the audiences.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
This makes 2 of us! I'm so excited! We should meet up beforehand, I suggested this to Lauren via facebook...
Hey Alan.. I'm SOO happy for all of you going, to hopefully get to meet up! I hope either you, Lauren, or Lucy can get a camera and show us some awesome pictures!

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....