Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default unreleased w/ mayall

there's a pending mayall 5 disc boxed set

http://www.eaglerockent.com/eagleroc...p?media_id=789

that has a disk of unreleased material from mayall's own archive. there are 2 tracks with peter both from 1967, the stumble and double trouble. i guess since they are unreleased these are outtake versions or, better yet, live.

does anybody know more about these?

zero
Old 10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post

that has a disk of unreleased material from mayall's own archive. there are 2 tracks with peter both from 1967, the stumble and double trouble. i guess since they are unreleased these are outtake versions or, better yet, live.

zero
Yes, and there is also a European expanded version of
"A hard road":
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=378691

All the unreleased tracks are out on bootleg,
except
25. No More Tears - BBC Saturday Club Session - Bonus Track

Last edited by dino; 10-31-2006 at 10:48 PM..
Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting this, mzero and dino!

I never knew about this! I received Duffo "The Disappearing Boy" on CD yesterday. I didn't know this existed on CD these days, but I found it at Amazon.com. I think it was a Holland import, and it was pretty expensive though.. But it was nice to have on CD.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Yes, thanks for posting, news to me too.

Not to get off Greeny topic but does anyone here know if any of the 9 unreleased tracks from this:

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...51af02dc637d3d

...have John McVie on them?

John
Old 11-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From the track listings, it would appear that track one through three are from an April 1965 BBC session and tracks eight through thirteen (a total of nine) are from 1966 BBC sessions -as McVie was most certainly in with the Bluesbreakers during this time, it seems safe to say that it is he playing bass on the tracks -

As to the one previously unreleased BBC track (on bootleg) on the box set, it may be a bit more difficult to confirm whether or not Green plays on it without actually hearing it - the track, "No More Tears" was from Mayall's "Blues Alone" on which he played all the instruments except the drums and it could very well be a solo track.

I will see if I can find more specifics but I hope this helps in the meantime - if this is a "Decca" release, than hopefully they have cleaned up the tracks to the same degree as the "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC" - that would at least make it worth purchasing yet again!

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 09-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post

zero

Hi!
I ashamed to say I waited until yesterday to get hold of
the Mayall/Greeny live tracks from 1967, "The Stumble" and "Double trouble", but I was blown away.

The quality is not that great, but isn't "Stumble" just wild?
Far more explosive than most of the studio material,
fast, distorted....wild!

What you you think?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
The quality is not that great, but isn't "Stumble" just wild?
Far more explosive than most of the studio material,
fast, distorted....wild!

What you you think?
Yes, "wild" is a good term. However I was a bit disappointed as it does not sound much like "Greeny". It seems that Peter was still in the "have to replace Clapton" mode. Having not found his own style and feeling yet.

But nevertheless a very interesting insight into early Green!

All the best
RoJo
Old 09-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Had a chance to listen to both "The Stumble" and "Double Trouble" a couple of times now. No doubt the playing on "Double Trouble" is much more "Green-like". Sounds like the whole band was trying too hard on "The Stumble". The drumming in particular got on my nerves (is that really Mick Fleetwood on drums.....maybe he had a couple of pints too many that night )

If that really is Mick on drums, it would be relatively late in Peter Green's stay with the Bluesbreakers - he'd made a name for himself by that time and I doubt he would have been in a "have to replace Clapton" mode then. Peter's playing could be pretty "wild" - just listen to "Curly". He really explored a wider range of styles during his brief time with the Bluesbreakers ("The Supernatural", "Out of Reach", "Curly", "Greeny", etc.) than he did for quite a while with Fleetwood Mac.

It would be nice to know the dates & venues for these two Bluesbreakers performances. Were the two tracks from the same show? In any case, it's great to finally hear some live tracks from Peter's Bluesbreakers days. Seems like there must be more.....will they ever be released?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Date of recordings of bonus tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
BBC Saturday Club Session - Bonus Tracks
Four bonus tracks:
25. No More Tears
26. Ridin' On The L And N
27. Sitting In The Rain
28. Leaping Christine
are taken from - BBC Light Programme Saturday Club Session - (recorded 23rd January 1967).
I haven't seen those tracks in any Greeny's sessionography.
Regards
Krzysztof
Old 12-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The fiesty Peter

I loved how he attacked the song. It gave a glimpse of him yet to come as in "stop messing round" and "It takes time" The growth of a musician. He just turned 20.

the other one pure Green too.

one persons opinion
Old 12-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Four bonus tracks:
25. No More Tears
26. Ridin' On The L And N
27. Sitting In The Rain
28. Leaping Christine
are taken from - BBC Light Programme Saturday Club Session - (recorded 23rd January 1967).
I haven't seen those tracks in any Greeny's sessionography.
Regards
Krzysztof
Actually, this January '67 session shows up in most of the sessionographies I've seen, at least the last three tracks you list. And three other tracks are usually included with those three - "Curly" and "Dust My Blues", and "Top Of The Hill". Martin Celmins' sessionography omits "Leaping Christine" from the list (he just lists the session as "Winter 1967").

"No More Tears" does not appear to be from the same January session as the other tracks. It may be from a BBC session on 3 February 1967....at least Christopher Hjort in his Strange Brew book lists this track as having been performed at a session on that date. But it's also possible that the version that has been released may be from a later, unknown session. A version of "Curly" which may have been recorded at this same February session has shown up on bootleg - as has "Curly" from the 23 January session. It's this February '67 BBC session that only Hjort mentions as far as I know.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Greeny's sessionography - supplement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Actually, this January '67 session shows up in most of the sessionographies I've seen, at least the last three tracks you list. And three other tracks are usually included with those three - "Curly" and "Dust My Blues", and "Top Of The Hill". Martin Celmins' sessionography omits "Leaping Christine" from the list (he just lists the session as "Winter 1967").

"No More Tears" does not appear to be from the same January session as the other tracks. It may be from a BBC session on 3 February 1967....at least Christopher Hjort in his Strange Brew book lists this track as having been performed at a session on that date. But it's also possible that the version that has been released may be from a later, unknown session. A version of "Curly" which may have been recorded at this same February session has shown up on bootleg - as has "Curly" from the 23 January session. It's this February '67 BBC session that only Hjort mentions as far as I know.
I haven't Christopher Hjort's book. I've known sessonographies by Mario Pirrone (from not existing site about P. Green), by Martin Celmins and from http://www.chromeoxide.com/mayall.htm.
I think there were at least two radio sessions.
First session is mentioned in all these sessionographies:
Riding On The L & N
Sitting In The Rain
Dust My Blues
Curly
Top Of The Hill
Second session is mentioned only on http://www.chromeoxide.com/mayall.htm.
RADIO SESSION: 9/66 - 4/67 - BBC
Riding On The L & N
Sitting In The Rain
Leaping Christine
In my opinnion these tracks may have been recorded 23rd January 1967 and are included on A Hard Road CD.
Regards
Krzysztof
Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
I haven't Christopher Hjort's book. I've known sessonographies by Mario Pirrone (from not existing site about P. Green), by Martin Celmins and from http://www.chromeoxide.com/mayall.htm.
I think there were at least two radio sessions.
First session is mentioned in all these sessionographies:
Riding On The L & N
Sitting In The Rain
Dust My Blues
Curly
Top Of The Hill
Second session is mentioned only on http://www.chromeoxide.com/mayall.htm.
RADIO SESSION: 9/66 - 4/67 - BBC
Riding On The L & N
Sitting In The Rain
Leaping Christine
In my opinnion these tracks may have been recorded 23rd January 1967 and are included on A Hard Road CD.
Regards
Krzysztof
Hi Krzysztof. I think that all these tracks (from both of your lists above) are most likely from the same Januray 23 session, although Celmins and Mario's lists do not include "Leaping Christine", and the Chrome Oxide list omits several tracks. The three tracks listed in the Chrome Oxide sessionography were available together on bootleg for some time before the re-issue of A Hard Road. The version of "Curly" that is probably from the same session is still only on bootleg. "Dust My Blues" and "Top Of The Hill" have never been issued officially or on bootleg.

I recommend the book by Christopher Hjort - as with all of these sources, I'm sure not all the information in there is 100% accurate, but it's very interesting. As mentioned before, that's the only source I know of that mentions the February BBC session. The book states that none of the tracks from that February session have surfaced, although it mentions "No More Tears" and "Curly" as being among the four tracks performed......so it's possible that the recently-released version of "No More Tears" and the other bootleg version of "Curly" could be from that session.