User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I have found the topics you've been discussing very intriguing. Since I am a novice, could you tell me what songs to listen to on SWY that have the metrodome on them?
Wow. This thread got crazy.

Goodbye Baby and Smile At You both have clicks left on them.

~Jamie
Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey screws around (brilliantly)

Lindsey Buckingham, Gift of Screws: * * * * — Brilliant construction
USAToday.com

Few rock musicians can make a guitar sing as sweetly as Buckingham. On this album, his finest since 1992’s Out of the Cradle, the troubadour veers from gorgeously lyrical soundscapes such as Time Precious Time and Bel Air Rain to songs that evoke the pulsing melodic savvy of his best work both as a solo artist and with Fleetwood Mac. From the crackling-good opener Great Day to the poignant closing tune, Treason, this Gift keeps on giving. — Elysa Gardner

>>Download: previously mentioned tracks, Did You Miss Me, Love Runs Deeper >>Skip: nothing
Old 09-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
And RPTF is one of the best things he has ever done, probably outshining many of his "Cradle" songs...
yea I dig that song too...needs to be in the set.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This was all very mean.
Speaking of not being very smart--see what I highlighted? If he can't afford a Mick maybe he can afford a John or a Stevie.
That mike-mick thing was an intended pun. So it was my joke, thanks for explaining it to the rest of the board. It was AJ who made the remark of lindsey being poor and that was the reason of his lowfi production. So I was joking about how poor he was after tusk, he just sold 16 million records and chose for lowfi production. The guy just don't understand that Lindsey is doing that for almost 30 years now.

Have you ever heard of humour?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This was all very mean.
Speaking of not being very smart--see what I highlighted? If he can't afford a Mick maybe he can afford a John or a Stevie.
He said he "tapped the mikes cause he couldn't afford a mick" meaning Lindsey made his own percussion because he couldn't afford someone like Mick ie a drummer, a Mick Fleetwood.
It wasn't a mistake.

Edit: Gerald has said the same thing.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post

I was trying to express an opinion, not get into a pissing contest.

Are you sure? It seems like you bring up this stuff regularly as a way of saying you're better qualified to judge music than the rest of us ("I'm a musician, I'm an engineer, I know people Lindsey used to work with" even "I'm an accountant!"). That's what pisses people off, not the criticism.
Just my opinion of course...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSPC View Post
Wow. This thread got crazy.

Goodbye Baby and Smile At You both have clicks left on them.

~Jamie
But that was intentional. I like the effect.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
all the clicks on his recordings are intentional, one may not like it, but rank it as amateurism is like saying the same thing about John Bonham playing drums on a chair. Or Buckingham himself on a Kleenexbox.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Junior Ledgie

hi guys...long time reader first time poster...i live in sunny adelaide , south australia...love the mac...have seen them 5 or 6 times down here...absolutely obsessed with lindsey...anyway..not sure when the album will pop up down here, so i downloaded it for now...i WILL prurchase a copy as soon as it lands..
I love it...i could write a whole load of other stuff...but " i love it" sums it up pretty nicely!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Yeah, me too.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sky News Australia

Buckingham's new solo album

Tuesday September 16, 2008

Get ready for a Mac attack - Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham is going to bring back the sounds of the famous rock group in his fifth solo album.

Buckingham has in the past has given up many of his own individual songs for the group to perform and produce.

But this time around he put his foot down and made the band fully aware of his intentions to release another album on his own.

'Gift of Screws' has 10 songs - some new and some written years ago - and includes playing by John McVie and Mick Fleetwood.

Buckingham is currently on tour in support of the new release.

http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/ar...aspx?id=267723
Old 09-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Kansas City Star 9-16-08

A ‘Gift’ from Lindsey Buckingham

The story behind his new album is all about Lindsey Buckingham’s loyalty to Fleetwood Mac. He wrote enough material for a solo album he intended to release as “Gift of Screws” early this decade. Instead all but three of those songs ended up on “Say You Will,” a Fleetwood Mac release in 2003.

Five years and one solo album later — the rather sedate “Under the Skin” — Buckingham has released an updated version of “Screws” (due in stores today), and it sounds like the time and remodeling could have been a stroke of good fortune: This is arguably his best solo album yet.

Over the course of 10 songs (40 minutes), he delivers all the techniques, traits and impulses that have made him respected and admired by fans who think he’s underrespected: the rampant alt-punk moments in “Tusk”; the bright-glossy pop sounds of “Law and Order”; his undying fondness for the Beach Boys and the Wilson brothers; and the avant-pop/rock moments in the epic and deranged “Go Insane.” If there was ever the slightest debate over who had the biggest creative engine in the Mac, this ought to settle it once and for all.

Buckingham is as much a guitar virtuoso as he is a songwriter and rock star, and “Screws” is a loaded with memorable and diverse guitar moments. The opener, “Great Day,” ends with one of those: a lead that sounds like it’s trying to uncage itself to save its life.

From there he glides into “Time Precious Time,” which rides a long, easy wave of acoustic guitar arpeggios. Then comes “Did You Miss Me,” a nuts-and-bolts California pop song that would have been a great summer radio hit (it resembles “Trouble” from “Law and Order”). Unlike “Skin,” which never really shifted from its low-key, sepia-tone mood, “Screws” never stands still.

“I Wanna Wait for You” has the kind of blues vibe we heard way back in “World Turning” or “The Chain.” “Treason” is a lovely, ambient hymn, in the vein of “That’s All for Everyone,” from “Tusk.”

Any Fleetwood Mac resemblances aren’t necessarily accidental: Mick Fleetwood and John McVie stand in as the rhythm section on a couple of songs, including “Love Runs Deeper,” a big, percussive and melodic rock anthem, like “Go Your Own Way.”

The big swerve comes late, in the incendiary title track, where Buckingham taps into his punk fetish and goes a little insane. The song is a hurricane of drums, guitars, jackhammer rhythms, manic vocals and strident lyrics, adapted from the poetry of Emily Dickinson: “Way down here/Everybody needs/Authority makes us bleed, bleed, bleed,” he screams and then cackles maniacally. And it feels so refreshing to hear him sound so visceral and unhinged again.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
‘Gift of Screws’ (Reprise)

★★★ 1/2

http://www.kansascity.com/238/story/796020.html
Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Are you sure? It seems like you bring up this stuff regularly as a way of saying you're better qualified to judge music than the rest of us ("I'm a musician, I'm an engineer, I know people Lindsey used to work with" even "I'm an accountant!"). That's what pisses people off, not the criticism.
Just my opinion of course...
Not only that, Tracky, this time the criticism wasn't critisism or a matter of taste-which is perfectly understandable and OK, but it was the assumption of amateurism and the lack of wealth, which was- for anyone who followed his career and understood his artistry for even just 10 percent clear and utter respectless stupidity. Plus the arrogance and belittling of anyone with an opinion who doesn't make music himself that you refer to. All that got me out of my cage.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
. . . All that got me out of my cage.
How about this one - it would been a whole lot better with La Nicks' harmonies

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
How about this one - it would been a whole lot better with La Nicks' harmonies
you can do better than that, Strand. BTW there are topnotch Nicks harmonies on some songs. Only sung by the man himself. He doesn't need her.